Question RE: Company Facebook page

It really depends upon what you view your audience to be. If you're a B2B business in a niche, a couple hundred likes with regular activity is fine and more than that is great. If you're a consumer facing business, the stronger your follow base and the steadier the regular engagement, the better, irrespective of whether you're serving a niche. 1,000 is a good threshold to hit from that perspective, if you're really small, but keep going if the growth is earned and not paid. 

This all presumes you're thinking about this stuff for the right reasons. This kind of conversation is always couched in the "building credibility" department, rather than the "I want to grow my business directly through my FB following" department, which is folly generally. 

Anyone telling you it doesn't matter, whether internally or externally, is either clueless or flatly wrong. Consumers and B2B decision makers look for validation that the company they're dealing with is legitimate and respected. Having a sound presence on FB these days is table stakes in that regard and don't let some engineer, lawyer, trader, or CEO who thinks they know everything and yet knows dick about brand and marketing tell you different. 

I would say it depends on the goals of your company and whether you believe that likes are helping you achieve that goal.    If you're laughing at your co-worker or your company because you think their celebration is weak, don't be so cynical.  Enjoy your cake at the celebration unless there isn't enough cake for you and your boss just took your stapler.  

• Like 1

Not that at all, NGE.  One of my hats is to update the FB page so I was worried about the public's general perception of celebrating the 1K mark.

Thanks for the comments and especially the almost 1000 prayers!

If you're looking to... introduce more ideas from this area into your brain you might cherrypick some episodes of Drift's "Seeking Wisdom" podcast.

https://www.drift.com/seeking-wisdom/

My brother in law is big in this area of marketing and has done some work with those guys - I don't listen to it all the time because it's not what I do, but it's still sometimes interesting and I think they coined the term "conversational marketing" around building "organic" customer interaction and credibility through online platforms (and your own site).  My gut feeling (if you're looking to drive that kind of engagement) is that celebrating it publicly really depends on if it's something y'all already should have accomplished long ago (based on size of the market and your footprint in it) or not, but I would lean towards at least marking the occasion internally.

Edited by Celery Man