Access to Contraceptives

atomheartbevo

FYM5oDQXEAMek68?format=jpg&name=medium

Wyoming’s Liz Cheney, Pennsylvania’s Brian Fitzpatrick, Ohio’s Anthony Gonzalez, New York’s John Katko, Illinois’ Adam Kinzinger, South Carolina’s Nancy Mace, Florida’s María Elvira Salazar, and Michigan’s Fred Upton — voted with a unanimous Democratic conference. (Two Republicans — Ohio’s Bob Gibbs and Illinois’ Mike Kelly — voted “present.”)

The House voted 228-195 largely along party lines Thursday to pass legislation to codify the right to contraception nationwide, seeking to protect it from potential Supreme Court intervention. The Right To Contraception Act, sponsored by Rep. Kathy Manning, D-N.C., would establish a right in federal law for individuals to obtain and use contraceptives. It would also affirm a right for health care providers to provide contraceptives and allow the Justice Department and entities harmed by contraception restrictions to seek enforcement of the right in court.

Yes, it’s pre-emotive, but Republicans are already talking about going after it, and it’s easier to shut them down now, than try to do it after the fact.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Rage+1 1

• atomheartbevo changed the title to Access to Contraceptives

1. I think this is a great move for Dems to do this following the recent ruling... and what was said in the opinion. Seeing responses of "Dem fear mongering" and "they aren't going to take away contraception." Yeah, the same thing was said about Roe. And now Thomas specifically called out things like contraception and gay marriage. It's absolute BS to say there's nothing to worry about.

2. I think this a great move for Dems to get Republicans on record for voting against contraception. If they aren't absolutely hammered in political ads from here until eternity about voting "no," then it's a wasted opportunity. They want to go off the deep end to try and keep Dems from "scoring political points" then rub their noses in it.

3. I don't track him day by day, but I watched Anthony Gonzalez fucking torch us in Austin during Colt's freshman year. He's more than made up for it by being a seemingly sane Republican in this and other votes. I'm sad that he's stepping down.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

1. I think this is a great move for Dems to do this following the recent ruling... and what was said in the opinion. Seeing responses of "Dem fear mongering" and "they aren't going to take away contraception." Yeah, the same thing was said about Roe. And now Thomas specifically called out things like contraception and gay marriage. It's absolute BS to say there's nothing to worry about.

2. I think this a great move for Dems to get Republicans on record for voting against contraception. If they aren't absolutely hammered in political ads from here until eternity about voting "no," then it's a wasted opportunity. They want to go off the deep end to try and keep Dems from "scoring political points" then rub their noses in it.

3. I don't track him day by day, but I watched Anthony Gonzalez fucking torch us in Austin during Colt's freshman year. He's more than made up for it by being a seemingly sane Republican in this and other votes. I'm sad that he's stepping down.

This vote proves it. SCOTUS aside, when the vast majority of the GQP are voting against making birth control federally legal, what do you think they're going to do when they have the majority?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I think Dems are, for once, being smart here with this vote and the gay marriage vote the other day.  Nothing else in the bills that anyone can say that's the reason they didn't vote for it.  Just black and white, do you support this or not?

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I think Dems are, for once, being smart here with this vote and the gay marriage vote the other day.  Nothing else in the bills that anyone can say that's the reason they didn't vote for it.  Just black and white, do you support this or not?

Yep. When I saw the marriage vote I thought that there must be something stuff into the bill to make so many vote against it. Nope. It was about a page long. 

Now they just need to let every damn voter know.

Also, Dems need to vote on raising the minimum wage. 1.) It needed to be done years ago and 2) Make Republicans go on record that they think $7.25 per hour is suitable for a wage.

25 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It's a shame Joe Manchin isn't gonna vote for it.

Plenty of West Virginians rely on contraception other than pulling out or doing it in the pooper.  Got to be a few hundred.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yep. When I saw the marriage vote I thought that there must be something stuff into the bill to make so many vote against it. Nope. It was about a page long. 

Now they just need to let every damn voter know.

It also reaffirmed the right to interracial marriage.

33 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Also, Dems need to vote on raising the minimum wage. 1.) It needed to be done years ago and 2) Make Republicans go on record that they think $7.25 per hour is suitable for a wage.

Yeah, minimum wage in CO is something like $12.40 and goes up with CPI each year.  How anyone can even pretend $7.25 is OK today is beyond me.  Those are slave wages.  Hell, I think $12.40 is too low, although most places around here are starting at $16-20/hr.