Ski Season 2022 / 2023

texasdago

Welp, as much as I know there are options in May, I don't think I'll be able to get any more days on the mountain this year.  :/  I have to pick by battles and I don't think I can pull of a May trip like last year.  At least was happy to try out Stevens Pass this year - all mountain days this season were on new mountains to me... Stevens Pass in Washington, Montgenevre and Serre Chevalier in France and the Via Lattea resorts in Italy... really really really want to go back to Serre Chevalier (great mountain, tons of freeriding) and add in a guided day at La Grave.  If I can pull of Serre next year, I'm going to get this scheduled.  My guide suggested we hit it this year and I just couldn't coordinate.  Really kicking myself over passing on it but will do it next time.  Cannot do it without a guide unless you have a death wish.

LaGrave_pistemap.jpg?1601557612

Do you really know what you're asking for?  You need to EMPHASIZE to your guide that you do not want any "no fall zone" exposure in any part of the run or the traverse to get to the run.  There are a few runs that are safe enough to ski on their own, but have no fall zone traverses example being Le Pan Du Rideau.  Nice doable 45 degree slope but the traverse to get there doesn't fuck around.  NFZ means that if you fall, and don't self arrest (stop) very quickly, you probably aren't going to survive.  There are plenty of runs you could probably ski comfortably, but If you don't want any kind of serious exposure you really need to make sure that the guide knows it before the day is planned.  Ideally the guide has skied with you for a day or two at least before you really get into it.  Have a guide for at least a day at Serre and then go to La Grave.  Hire only legit La Grave guides not just guys who have done it.  You want guys who live it multiple days a season for some years.  

3 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Do you really know what you're asking for?  You need to EMPHASIZE to your guide that you do not want any "no fall zone" exposure in any part of the run or the traverse to get to the run.  There are a few runs that are safe enough to ski on their own, but have no fall zone traverses example being Le Pan Du Rideau.  Nice doable 45 degree slope but the traverse to get there doesn't fuck around.  NFZ means that if you fall, and don't self arrest (stop) very quickly, you probably aren't going to survive.  There are plenty of runs you could probably ski comfortably, but If you don't want any kind of serious exposure you really need to make sure that the guide knows it before the day is planned.  Ideally the guide has skied with you for a day or two at least before you really get into it.  Have a guide for at least a day at Serre and then go to La Grave.  Hire only legit La Grave guides not just guys who have done it.  You want guys who live it multiple days a season for some years.  

Yeah, would totally cover this.  Actually I went freeriding in Montgenevre with this guide and at the end of the day he suggested it.  He said based on our day we could definitely go and he would pick appropriate routes   He's a guide based out of Briançon who guides solely offpiste for Apeak.   

Edited by texasdago

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Would you pay $90ish a lift ticket to get maybe 3 hours of turns off the Palmer lift on Mt .Hood in the middle of summer?  Assuming you would have to pay for rentals, as well since I'm not packing gear for 3 hours on the snow.  

Timberline Announces Summer Skiing Closing Day

BTW, Conditions on 5/25...

palmerbottom.jpg?nocache=1685025196

Edited by texasdago

1 hour ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Damn man that’s awesome. Looks really good. Lots of icing on the cake 

I swear the only rocks I’ve seen is on the ridge line run if you go right off 23.  Even the lower hill.   Amazing. Hats off to the operations crew.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright so I had a chance to see Mt. Bachelor up close and personal last week and it looked like a very cool mountain.  Interested in making a trip to ski it this next season but I understand the best stuff is highly dependent on a lift that often shuts down.  If that list shuts down, most black and double diamond terrain is out.  Seems risky for travel.

Option two is Crested Butte which I thought was a killer mountain and you can get a great day pass deal there.  What a great town, too.

Option three... same some pennies and go to Serre Chevalier which I really really want to explore off-piste with a chance to visit either Les Deux Alpes or La Grave (with a guide!). 

What to do?  Cheapest option is CB due to the drive.  Serre requires potentially pricey flights but great prices there on lifts, lodging, guides, food.  Bachelor may require expensive flights to Redmond or PDX and tickets don't seem cheap.  Lodging I can get cheap.  

On 7/7/2023 at 11:36 PM, texasdago said:

Alright so I had a chance to see Mt. Bachelor up close and personal last week and it looked like a very cool mountain.  Interested in making a trip to ski it this next season but I understand the best stuff is highly dependent on a lift that often shuts down.  If that list shuts down, most black and double diamond terrain is out.  Seems risky for travel.

Option two is Crested Butte which I thought was a killer mountain and you can get a great day pass deal there.  What a great town, too.

Option three... same some pennies and go to Serre Chevalier which I really really want to explore off-piste with a chance to visit either Les Deux Alpes or La Grave (with a guide!). 

What to do?  Cheapest option is CB due to the drive.  Serre requires potentially pricey flights but great prices there on lifts, lodging, guides, food.  Bachelor may require expensive flights to Redmond or PDX and tickets don't seem cheap.  Lodging I can get cheap.  

After more thought, thinking it will be Crested Butte.  Would love to do Serre Chevalier if something happens with fares. We'll see. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Can someone give me the skinny on Breckenridge?  After 4-5 years at Park City, we’re planning on Breck At Christmas-NYE week.  

Spread out far from left to right.  it takes a while to traverse to different areas.  it's not really a skier's mountain because it's just really flat but with bowls and you can't lap the bowls/alpine areas very efficiently.  Cute town with good food.