Big D restaurant/venue rec

Litig8r

A group of ten of us are coming to Dallas for the Eagles Concert next Saturday.  We are staying downtown.  Thursday night we are going to Deep Ellum for drinks/apps.  Need a rec for Friday night dinner.  Looking for a place with upscale Tex/Mex or a place with good food and good music.  I've been to the Rustic a couple of times.  Last time it smelled like there was leaking sewer pipe.  Liked the vibe but not the smell.  Thanks

You could eat dinner at the place at The Joule and catch some music at City Tavern after. The Statler is cool to hang out at for drinks and what-not, either on the roof or in the basement Speakeasy.

For Sunday brunch, I love going to Bishop Arts. Bolsa or Boulvardiere are great but my favorite is Nova. They’ll have great live music from noon to 3.

4 hours ago, Litig8r said:

looks like Javier for dinner!  Maybe Maso since it is much closer to where we are staying

will check on Nova for brunch

thanks Horns!

Smoke -- just north of 30 -- is awesome too but be prepared for a big crowd.

I think Javier's is what y'all are looking for on Friday night. Meso Maya has better food but isn't necessarily high end. Can do the cigar bar and then take a short walk over to Chelsea Corner -- that place should be hopping on Friday night.

Edited by C-Man

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Javier’s is not Tex/Mex.  I repeat...Javier’s is not Tex/Mex.  It’s nowhere near Tex/Mex.  If that’s what you’re going for, you will be horribly disappointed.

Figured this was understood but Lando is correct, Javier's is interior Mexican food, not Tex-Mex. I also think it's over-priced. But it's a scene, man.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Figured this was understood but Lando is correct, Javier's is interior Mexican food, not Tex-Mex. I also think it's over-priced. But it's a scene, man.

You’d be surprised how many people think they’re either the same or similar.  They are not even close.  And I’m pretty sure Javier goes out of his way to be as not even close as possible...like it’s a pride thing to be as far from TexMex as possible.   Figured I better clarify since OP specifically said TexMex.

Food is good at Javier's (good, not 5-star), but the overall scene is great, and you'll have a good time.  Get a margarita (or three), the cheese Panela  and the Filete Durango (with black pepper sauce).  Mole is good as well.

The Ferrari by the front door belongs to the owner, Javier.

Nothing wrong with Meso Maya, but it's not what you are looking for (I think).  Javier's is a 10 minute Uber from downtown.

OK..how about straight Tex-Mex. I like the look of the menu at Javiers as it is very different that places I have been.  It is not 5 star priced, at least to me.  We are going to Rodeo goat for burgers likely on Saturday.  

2 hours ago, Litig8r said:

OK..how about straight Tex-Mex.

We don’t really have any upscale Tex-Mex that I know of.  I guess the closest would be the Micocina in Highland Park Village which is only about a mile from Javier’s.  If you do that, go later in the evening to avoid all the families/kids and leave time to go upstairs to the monkey bar which can be a very cool little hidden gem at the right times.

Mi Cocina is pretty upscale on the Tex-Mex index.  Monkey Bar is usually lots of fun.  While I'm not a fan of this place for anything other than happy hour out on a balcony, if you really wanted to stay downtown, Iron Cactus might pass as an "upscale Tex-Mex" joint.  Drink heavily and all the food will be great!

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

We don’t really have any upscale Tex-Mex that I know of.  I guess the closest would be the Micocina in Highland Park Village which is only about a mile from Javier’s.  If you do that, go later in the evening to avoid all the families/kids and leave time to go upstairs to the monkey bar which can be a very cool little hidden gem at the right times.

Mr. Mesero on McKinney perhaps?

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Mr. Mesero on McKinney perhaps?

I haven't been to that one but I was going to say maybe Mesero on Henderson as well.   I would hate to waste a big night out at Mi Cocina personally as it's the place we go all the time when not doing a big night out, but out-of-towners love it so agreed probably not a bad choice.

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I haven't been to that one but I was going to say maybe Mesero on Henderson as well.   I would hate to waste a big night out at Mi Cocina personally as it's the place we go all the time when not doing a big night out, but out-of-towners love it so agreed probably not a bad choice.

That's actually a better spot than Mr. Mesero, honestly. I really think what they want is the atmosphere that Javier's can give them -- it's stereotypical Dallas to the core.

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That's actually a better spot than Mr. Mesero, honestly. I really think what they want is the atmosphere that Javier's can give them -- it's stereotypical Dallas to the core.

Agreed.  That would be my choice.  I really don't think there is such a thing as high end Tex Mex.   It's kind of counterintuitive.  If I were doing Tex-Mex I would go to Mia's and call it a day but that's clearly not a scene.

Edited by Skipper

21 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Agreed.  That would be my choice.  I really don't think there is such a thing as high end Tex Mex.   It's kind of counterintuitive.  If I were doing Tex-Mex I would go to Mia's and call it a day but that's clearly not a scene.

Same for me. High end and Tex-Mex do not compute. With you on Mia's. I'd also throw in Avila's or Rafa's to the mix!

Yeah well...

You want upscale TexMex...I think you go to Micocina in Highland Park Village.  I mean, I see a celebrity there 1 out of every 3 times I go there.

You want just a scene...I have no fucking clue but I’m sure there are better than Javier’s place.

You want scene with great food...I’d probably go nick and sams.

You want great food with a scene...I’d go Al Biernat’s.

You want TexMex...it’s Mia’s or Avila’s...period.

You want just a scene...still no clue.

And I guess if you want cent/mex with a scene...Javier’s.

And if I wanted a fun Tex/mex night out in Dallas...I’d go with Mr Mesero on McKinney on their patio.  All fucking day.

Edited by Landomatic

10 hours ago, Skipper said:

Yeah it’s a little like upscale BBQ...it’s not really a thing.  We have one in Dallas and it sucks.  It’s called something like vine and 8th or some shit.  Kind of an oxymoron honestly:

Anyway...have a big fun night (probabably at a steakhouse).

Or have a Tex/Mex night at a proper Tex/Mex  joint.

Or have an in between night at maybe Javier’s?

9 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah it’s a little like upscale BBQ...it’s not really a thing.  We have one in Dallas and it sucks.  It’s called something like vine and 8th or some shit.  Kind of an oxymoron honestly:

Anyway...have a big fun night (probabably at a steakhouse).

Or have a Tex/Mex night at a proper Tex/Mex  joint.

Or have an in between night at maybe Javier’s?

18th & Vine -- and it's spare as fuck.

Javier's is a scene and you will have fun, but the food is laughably bad and is certainly the most overpriced food for what you get in Dallas, which is saying a lot.

Meso Maya is definitely better, but you won't get the same scene there.   Monica Green and Anastacia Quinones are cooking and running Cedars Social now. They are doing high end, modern Mexican food.  I have not been yet, but friends who have been have reported that it's great.   And the two of them know how to cook and run a restaurant.  They left in place the cocktail program there, so it could be a good night out.  It's just south of downtown in The Cedars, on Lamar.

All the North Oak Cliff brunch choices mentioned above are excellent:  Boulevardiere is my favorite. Bolsa and Smoke are also great.  Nova is my neighborhood place and I love it most of the time, but the brunch there, especially when a band is playing and it's too hot to sit outside can get chaotic.  

2 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Javier's is a scene and you will have fun, but the food is laughably bad and is certainly the most overpriced food for what you get in Dallas, which is saying a lot.

Meso Maya is definitely better, but you won't get the same scene there.   Monica Green and Anastacia Quinones are cooking and running Cedars Social now. They are doing high end, modern Mexican food.  I have not been yet, but friends who have been have reported that it's great.   And the two of them know how to cook and run a restaurant.  They left in place the cocktail program there, so it could be a good night out.  It's just south of downtown in The Cedars, on Lamar.

All the North Oak Cliff brunch choices mentioned above are excellent:  Boulevardiere is my favorite. Bolsa and Smoke are also great.  Nova is my neighborhood place and I love it most of the time, but the brunch there, especially when a band is playing and it's too hot to sit outside can get chaotic.  

Can't believe we had a discussion about brunch in Bishop Arts / Oak Cliff without mentioning the place that started it all:  Hattie's, which is still the nicest of all, with great food and graceful service. It's not the hip scene of the others, but it is still a favorite.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Litig8r said:

I must say the Monkey Bar aspect of Mi Cocina has me in a toss up with Javiers...

Monkey Bar is pretty cool but if you're going to have 10, it's gonna be a hell of a squeeze up there. It's very, very small.

59 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Book the 9 pm res at Javier's.  Start your party at 7 in the cigar bar with tequila and appetizer's (they have a ton of food on the bar menu).  You may end up not wanting to sit down for dinner!  Uber is your friend.

This