Political Cartoons - The Politics Thread.

ROFL BOX

On 8/17/2022 at 10:59 AM, GenXer said:

Yes. That’s exactly what I said. Your strawman argument fails.

Dems knew the GQP would fight anything that helps people at the expense of pharma profits. Dems had an opportunity to make a real difference but failed to think outside the box. See my comment below.

I don’t pay that as I have joined the corporate ranks and get insurance provided by my corporate employer. I am an advocate for the 20 yr old college student that is struggling to get by and doesn’t have the advantage of corporate insurance. That person is paying retail.

Dems failed to introduce creative legislation in the infrastructure bill. I’ve made the following suggestion (#1 below) to Dem and Rep candidates numerous times with positive feedback from both parties.

1. Allow US residents to purchase insulin (and other prescription meds) from international online providers that have FDA approval. This is a layup. It plays into the republican philosophy of competition driving prices down.

2. This one is more challenging. Build an insulin manufacturing facility(s) and partner with a company like costplus for online sales and distribution. Insulin costs less than $10 per vial to produce. Costplus’ model is cost plus 10%. This would make insulin affordable to those without health insurance. This initiative fits well into the philosophy of improving our infrastructure.  This could’ve been framed as a national security issue as diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the US. Like Trump, funds could be appropriated from the military like they were for his wall. These funds could’ve been used to stand up the facility. Profits from insulin sales could then pay back the military.  

Pharma and retail pharmacy companies would scream because insulin sales lets them print money. But, fuck them. They’re standing on the shoulders of the three Canadians that discovered and developed the technique to extract insulin. In turn, they sold the patent for this technology to Eli Lilly for $1 a piece.

Pharmaceutical companies were already screaming about the bill, locally, don't know elsewhere--tv ads playing nonstop for months before this was voted on.  Ads claimed it would move jobs to China, would inhibit new cures, Biden and his liberal agenda, etc without ever explaining how, why or really anything--just a lot of threats and we should reach out to our congress reps and tell them no.  

Anyways, doesn't mention cost but here's part of your idea:

https://globalbiodefense.com/2022/02/17/on-demand-pharmaceuticals-opens-state-of-the-art-manufacturing-facility-in-maryland/

also from 2004

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2004-09-28-0409280118-story.html

https://www.nashp.org/four-more-states-submit-bills-to-import-prescription-drugs-from-canada/\

Democratic states have been trying to push legislation in some form or other for awhile now, including Manchin's state. I guess you can join the list of grievances, along with women that just got some of their health care needs cut by SCOTUS.  Hopefully, affordable insulin will pass as a stand alone bill.

• Like 3