Political Cartoons - The Politics Thread.

ROFL BOX

10 hours ago, brakeman said:

I had an opportunity to "accidentally" bump into him at the top of the long staircase at the LBJ Library. He would have tumbled backward onto the corners of the steps and rolled backwards all the way down. Maybe broken his neck. This is more than 15 years ago. Then, the bowtie would have been justification enough, but now...

30 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Ren & Stimpy, Earthworm Jim (awesomely underrated sega genesis game from the early 90's btw!) and who is the third? is that Harry Potter?

I looked it up. JK Rowling wrote about transgenders and being a woman and drew a lot of flack. I found the article in Glamour.

I don't see any hate in what she opined. She may be a victim of actual political correctness where what something sounds like is more important than what is said. I didn't read it closely and may be wrong.

Also, for the record, I have no opinion about Rowling and have never read her books. 

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I looked it up. JK Rowling wrote about transgenders and being a woman and drew a lot of flack. I found the article in Glamour.

I don't see any hate in what she opined. She may be a victim of actual political correctness where what something sounds like is more important than what is said. I didn't read it closely and may be wrong.

Also, for the record, I have no opinion about Rowling and have never read her books. 

I also looked it up. Apparently Earthworm Jim animator made some anti-trans statements. Probably nobody knew about this because that was such a minor game from the 90's that who would even know or care who that guy was?

Rowling's transphobia, which she doubles down on over and over and over again, is rooted in the ideology of trans-exclusionary radical feminists (TERFs). Their transphobia, at least the the transphobia they espouse on public platforms and in public statements, is more of a dogwhistle-style of transphobia, designed to sound pretty reasonable to people who consider themselves progressive and feminist. I don't really feel like going any deeper than that, as I've been involved in way too much Rowling discourse due to the release of the Harry Potter open world game. There are plenty of resources online to find out more information.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, brakeman said:

Can't possibly know how true this is.  Rolling down the highway, and more and more, everywhere is people's trashcan.  Tires, mattresses, bicycles, shopping carts, and on and on.  I've watched the park services over the years pull out hundreds of tires in the same area only for there to be the same amount of tires the next year.  But that's just the visuals.  No telling what exists that you don't see.  I've seen striped bass with visible tumors and caught catfish with the same--I hate fishing now.  It's not getting better folks.  Striped bass spawn, so they don't only live in one place.  And several ponds I've visited to look for otter and birds have lures and fishing line everywhere.  I always pick up several strands every time I visit but it's never enough.  There's nothing more depressing than watching an osprey with balloons or fishing line dangling from its feet.  Last year I logged well over 40 hours of community service and removed over a ton of trash.  You'd never know it.    

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 7

On 2/27/2023 at 11:09 PM, safe sex said:

Rowling's transphobia, which she doubles down on over and over and over again, is rooted in the ideology of trans-exclusionary radical feminists (TERFs). Their transphobia, at least the the transphobia they espouse on public platforms and in public statements, is more of a dogwhistle-style of transphobia, designed to sound pretty reasonable to people who consider themselves progressive and feminist. I don't really feel like going any deeper than that, as I've been involved in way too much Rowling discourse due to the release of the Harry Potter open world game. There are plenty of resources online to find out more information.

All unknown to me prior to your post. Thanks.