Political Cartoons - The Politics Thread.

ROFL BOX

Back in the 80s, I noted that the rallying principle of the wars we start or participate in shifted from liberty and freedom versus tyranny to capitalism versus communism. Capitalism isn't even an apt word for what the many of us experience of our economy; it's market freedom. Capitalists actually own everything. Just liking a market system, even one where you don't recognize the value of regulating it, does not make one a capitalist. A good friend pointed that part out to me back in the day.

So, our "victory" over the Soviet Bloc becomes more about what Reagan called the joys of capitalism and the market rather than an ascendancy of self-determination. I think Americans largely saw themselves as the saviors of captialism (something they can't really define) rather than the champions of liberty (easily defined).

Now we're stuck with ill-defined, virulent self-interest unhindered by the value of citizenship or any other common interest. I've mentioned before how insightful is was for me when some writer observed the damages of Americans thinking of themselves as taxpayers rather than citizens. Me. Me. Me.

Now wew destroy our world. I don't say planet because that's a bit of human vanity. Life and Earth will continue on. Our world likely will not.

I have no shame in quoting Greta Thunberg yet again.

spacer.png

So true. So maddeningly dismissed.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Nostalgia.  Into my veins.  

I was working on a gang truck outside of Kilgore the night Nixon resigned.  We went to a friend’s trailer house and partied the (week) night like we’d ought to. Time to go, I back my 66 corvair one wheel in the culvert and stand it up at about 75 degrees.  But the gang chief took the truck there as our first stop the next morning, pulled it out, no big deal.