Sportscars 2024: Seb12ing Saturday March 16, 8:40am

elfenix

On 5/19/2023 at 5:47 PM, elfenix said:

GT Wolrd Challenge at COTA Race 1 will be here about 3 tomorrow:

lots of other racing on tap at COTA this weekend, include GT America, GT4, TC, etc., https://www.youtube.com/@GTWorld

That crash at T1 happened right in front of me. Go to 50:00 into the video to see it play out. It  was soooooo stupid. The Ferrari was holding his line just fine and the guy in the BMW kept jinking toward him from the outside. I was watching them approach and knew what was probably about to happen. Then finally, the BMW turned left, right into the Ferrari. Completely unnecessary and uncalled for. I hope he got a penalty. Of course, the Ferrari took the worst of the impact. They hit the armco pretty hard.

YM2EH8x7vU1wQqh9J2NIsAC4qLVxsN2mGgOrtMJf

Edited by wood

• 2 weeks later...
We were going to try to attend this year but, the trip to the beach for Pentecost here in Bad-Wurttemberg was a bit earlier so we did the Monaco race instead. My flight home is Sunday so I will miss the end. I’m disappointed but, something to try for in the future.
I was planning on going to this for two years but waited on my friends to make up their minds and the thing sold out!

Guess there's still the 100th running in a few years

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

I was planning on going to this for two years but waited on my friends to make up their minds and the thing sold out!

Guess there's still the 100th running in a few years

I believe this year is the 100th. That is one of the reasons we were thinking this year.

A bunch of the guys with our group in St. Tropez were complaining a bit that Dirk & I did not say anything about going to F1 in Monaco, “we would have come too”, etc. but, they could always make their own plans. I ain’t waiting on people sitting on the fence. 

7 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I believe this year is the 100th. That is one of the reasons we were thinking this year.

A bunch of the guys with our group in St. Tropez were complaining a bit that Dirk & I did not say anything about going to F1 in Monaco, “we would have come too”, etc. but, they could always make their own plans. I ain’t waiting on people sitting on the fence. 

this is the 100th anniversary of the first one, but it's the 91st running. 

motortred+ carries this in the US but leaves something to be desired. i was watching practice live this morning, paused it to go to work, started back up when i got back home, and with some time left on the clock it got yanked off the internet.  no replays on the site, nothing.  qualifying, hyperpole, not available. 

they'll have every onboard and both the world and eurosport feed available, so that's nice, i guess. 

for some reason the 24 hour series is also running this weekend.  i guess with every other motorsport eyeball on france this weekend the rental rate at monza is cheap. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

As they speculated on commentary during practice, the Camaro will start and restart from behind the LMP2 field rather than behind the GTE field so as not to muck up the GTE race.

Alpine has released renders of its Oreca-based LMDh

d8a6d052288e41c92d2a596507713055.jpg

• Drool 1

Mulsanne is wet, Whelen Caddy is the first casualty into the barrier coming out if the first chicane breaking the front left corner damn near off.

ACO has adopted IMSA's safety car wave-by rules, i wonder if that will give some of the IMSA teams an advantage from a strategy familiarity standpoint?  will let the LMP2 that had to be recovered from the gravel to catch up so no real penalty for them. 

20230610_191959.thumb.jpg.a9b5acc315f283a90ebb817c309ee39a.jpg

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Back under caution for a LMP2 single car crash.  Corvette in the garage with right front suspension issues.

that's the marker of doom for that LMP2.  only a slow zone though, green the rest of the 8.5 miles

20 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Corvette wins the GTE class.  I would think this should serve notice not to shut down the team.  But what do I know.

2023 Le Mans 24: Ferrari Takes Historic Win, America Steals the Show (msn.com)

Definitely a weird move. What could be better advertising than the Corvette beating out Ferraris, Porsches, etc.?  That's the market they're trying to poach with the Z06.

But I guess the bright side is at least they didn't pull a Honda and shut the team down the year before they win. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • elfenix changed the title to Sportscars 2023: 24 Hours Spa July 1-2 9:30 am Texas time
  • elfenix changed the title to Sportscars 2023: WEC 6 Hours Monza Sunday July 9, 5:30 am, IMSA Chevrolet GP Sunday July 9, 11 am
  • 2 months later...

Yeah that's awesome. Aston Martin, yo.

Also, Bathurst 1000 is this weekend.

Sunday 11:15 am start in Bathurst = 7:15 pm Saturday here, afaik. MavTV has been carrying some Supercars stuff lately, but the only upcoming V8SC content I see listed there is Saturday at 4PM CDT, so I have no idea what that is.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • elfenix changed the title to Sportscars 2024: Rolex 24 @ Daytona, January 27-28

Make use of that peacock account you got for that one football game to watch all 24 hours of the Rolex 24

Green flag at 12:40 pm, TV coverage starts at 12:30 pm on NBC, then moves to USA at 1:30-7 and again 9pm-11pm, then 5am-11am, finishing on NBC from 11 am to 1 pm. 

10 GTPs, 13 LMP2s, 12 GTD Pros, and 24 GTD Am cars hoping to take the checker.

Big change for this year is no lame LMP3 class.  As you may recall from prior editions, the car that wins is the one that doesn't break or end up in the wall too many times, and usually by several laps.  Longest race for LMP3 elsewhere is only 4 hours so they're not actually endurance machines like LMP2s and GT3s are. 

On the GTP side the big changes are Meyer Shank being out (fallout from last year's tiregate, i assume) and both Acuras being run by WTR/Andretti (with special guest driver Jenson Button), and Proton gets a Porsche 963. 

LMP2 sees the joinder of United Autosport and DragonSpeed to the IMSA ranks after WEC dropped the category this year.  LM 24 class winners Inter Europol join up PR1 Mathiasen on the grid this year.  Riley has stepped up from LMP3 with guest star Felipe Massa. Sean Creech motorsport managed to find a Ligier chassis on a back shelf somewhere so that's the weird looking one.  AO Racing debuts spike (and yes, new merch is available):

GEZAZoeXQAAzuaq.jpg.826c0ea19ae77a895c0a6b417dea07fc.jpg

Corvette has built a full on GTD (read: GT3) car, with two classic yellows run by the factory team, and two customer GTD Am car.  Ford joins the GT3 ranks with the brand new Mustang GT3.

Super Am and aggy Ben Keating is doing the ironman with both an LMP2 ride (switching from PR1 to United) and the JDC Porsche 963. 

Other guest star drivers include Alex Palou with Dixon in the CGR Cadillac, Colton Herta sharing the WTR Acura with Button, Marcus Ericsson in the other WTR Acura, Newgarden stepping up to the Porsche Penske from LMP2, Pato O'Ward in the No. 2 United car, and Scott McLaughlin returning in the Tower LMP2. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I did see where Ben Keating (nice guy BTW), had a little bobble on track yesterday.  I'll need to search around a bit, I thought Corvette was giving up the ghost after last year.  LFG! 

i think it's now an official unofficial factory team, as opposed to previously where it was the factory team.  but it's still run by the same people. 

Edited by elfenix

• elfenix changed the title to Sportscars 2024: WEC Qatar 1812, Sat. Mar. 2 6 am