What the fuck is wrong with New York?

RabidM

They didn't have their shit together and cost us the House in the mid terms. Now their Democratic governor nominates this asshole to lead the state Supreme Court for a FOURTEEN YEAR term?!?!  Isn't the state Supreme Court how their gerrymander got fucked for the mid terms?  New York needs to get it's shit together. We're going to need them to help protect our democracy for the next several elections at least.  FFS

LaSalle’s history as a right-wing judicial activist is in direct contrast with the governor’s previous pledges to support abortion rights in New York.

LaSalle was one of seven candidates submitted to the governor by the State Commission on Judicial Nomination, but in a Monday letter, nearly 50 law professors urged Hochul to not pick LaSalle to be chief judge of the New York State Court of Appeals because of his “cavalier attitude towards reproductive rights, hostility to organized labor, and a worrying insensitivity to due process.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/york-gov-kathy-hochul-picks-225500229.htm

You’re blaming New York for the Republicans winning the House? The Republicans gained 9 seats in the House to win the majority. Only three of those were in New York. So if not for the other 6, the Democrats would’ve retained control. It hardly seems fair to pin all the blame on New York. They still put 18 Democrats in the House vs. 11 for the Republicans.

Or are you just bitching about George Santos? If his seat had gone to the Democrat, the Republicans still would’ve won the majority. And frankly, revealing that Santos was a fraud is no guarantee that it would’ve discouraged Republican voters from supporting him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You’re blaming New York for the Republicans winning the House? The Republicans gained 9 seats in the House to win the majority. Only three of those were in New York. So if not for the other 6, the Democrats would’ve retained control. It hardly seems fair to pin all the blame on New York. They still put 18 Democrats in the House vs. 11 for the Republicans.

Or are you just bitching about George Santos? If his seat had gone to the Democrat, the Republicans still would’ve won the majority. And frankly, revealing that Santos was a fraud is no guarantee that it would’ve discouraged Republican voters from supporting him. 

Didn't they fuck up in their redistricting and essentially give away 5 seats?  I could be wrong.

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Didn't they fuck up in their redistricting and essentially give away 5 seats?  I could be wrong.

They lost one seat after the last census. The seat lost had been held by a Democrat and three seats flipped from blue to red. Didn’t New York get into some trouble for gerrymandering that favored the Dems?

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They lost one seat after the last census. The seat lost had been held by a Democrat and three seats flipped from blue to red. Didn’t New York get into some trouble for gerrymandering that favored the Dems?

Yes. The mostly-Cuomo appointment court overturned the Hochulmander. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It was the Democratic governor who appointed the conservative justices to the NY Supreme Court which led the gerrymandering failure.  If only 3 seats flipped through that failure, it does not flip the US House, but it makes it really, really close.  The GOP will have a 5 seat majority next session.  However, one would hope NY learned its lesson from that, but the Governor has now nominated this new asshole for a decade and a half term... What the fuck is she thinking?  Even if gerrymandering isn't her primary concern, this guy is a right wing nutjob hostile to abortion rights, labor unions and the rule of law.  WTF? 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, RabidM said:

It was the Democratic governor who appointed the conservative justices to the NY Supreme Court which led the gerrymandering failure.  If only 3 seats flipped through that failure, it does not flip the US House, but it makes it really, really close.  The GOP will have a 5 seat majority next session.  However, one would hope NY learned its lesson from that, but the Governor has now nominated this new asshole for a decade and a half term... What the fuck is she thinking?  Even if gerrymandering isn't her primary concern, this guy is a right wing nutjob hostile to abortion rights, labor unions and the rule of law.  WTF? 

So you’re in favor of gerrymandering if it gives the Dems an unfair advantage? If so then you can’t complain about Republican gerrymandering that gives them an unfair advantage. I’m opposed to it when either side does it. Districts should be drawn fairly.

38 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So you’re in favor of gerrymandering if it gives the Dems an unfair advantage? If so then you can’t complain about Republican gerrymandering that gives them an unfair advantage. I’m opposed to it when either side does it. Districts should be drawn fairly.

I am capable of understanding the nuance of the situation.  I can be in favor of no gerrymandering anywhere while still understanding that gerrymandering Dem states is necessary until gerrymandering can be undone everywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So you're in favor of going 10 miles over the speed limit if your wife is in labor and you're trying to rush her to the hospital? If so then you can't complain when someone goes 80 down a neighborhood street. I'm opposed to speeding when anybody does it. 

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

• 4 weeks later...