2023 ATP/WTA thread

shadow_operative2.0

10 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Spizzirri won his first qualifying round match. He needs to win 2 more to make the big dance.

I watched the second and third set in-person. He had a ton of crowd support from  the Fairfield County crowd. 

He clearly got nervous in the second set and gave it away,

In the 3rd set he was good, but with the amount of errors his opponent hit, it would’ve been pathetic if he’d lost.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I’ve gone from totally despising him as a blight on the game to not minding him after reading about him and how he goes for a smoothie after picking up his daughter from ballet class. 

He’ll be a Dallas post-pro athlete celeb. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Dayana ain't Genie's biggest fan, this is pretty funny. 

Why did Yastremska shake the judges hand first and then just completely ignore Bouchard?

That goes against all normal protocol.

Is there some previous history there or something?

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Why did Yastremska shake the judges hand first and then just completely ignore Bouchard?

That goes against all normal protocol.

Is there some previous history there or something?

when genie beat dayana in madrid she made a sideswiping reference to her doping.  dayana didn't take too kindly to it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Watching Sinner practice right now against Auger-Alaissime. I see better in-person why Sinner does well against Alcaraz. The dude’s arm length reminds me of Stacey “Plastic Man” Augmon from the NBA of years ago. Moves so effortlessly around the court, especially on the baseline.IMG_8826.thumb.jpeg.434d699ac64b716d815c18e4275757f6.jpeg

1) He is such an awkward human being.

From his duck 🦆 walk feet, to his being a Germanic Italian, to his awkward movement between point, to his gross mole.

But once the point starts, he’s a fucking good tennis player.

2) I have a flight booked for tomorrow (arriving late) and returning next Thursday. The plan was…

Sunday: Brooklyn bike ride 

Monday: Day Grounds Pass

Tuesday & Wednesday: Manhattan museums and dinner with my sister

I have shit that I need to probably do, so I think I’ll cancel my flight, but now I want to plan for the week BEFORE the tournament starts next year after reading your posts. 👍

I was there for it last year, but didn’t make it out to the Tennis Center until opening night. (A little more expensive than FREE.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

1) He is such an awkward human being.

From his duck 🦆 walk feet, to his being a Germanic Italian, to his awkward movement between point, to his gross mole.

But once the point starts, he’s a fucking good tennis player.

2) I have a flight booked for tomorrow (arriving late) and returning next Thursday. The plan was…

Sunday: Brooklyn bike ride 

Monday: Day Grounds Pass

Tuesday & Wednesday: Manhattan museums and dinner with my sister

I have shit that I need to probably do, so I think I’ll cancel my flight, but now I want to plan for the week BEFORE the tournament starts next year after reading your posts. 👍

I was there for it last year, but didn’t make it out to the Tennis Center until opening night. (A little more expensive than FREE.)

He has these really long arms, legs and a shorter torso. All that combines to make his likely spirit animal an ostrich. But yes he is oozing talent when he’s on the court. If I had to pick two guys that will be a thorn in the side of Alcaraz for the foreseeable future, assuming they don’t flame out, it would be Rune and Sinner. 

Oh definitely go the week before next year. It’s fun just watching so many random pros practice against one another while also having access to the qualifying matches. I think your plan for the next week sounds like a blast to me. Museums are always a good time (I got the AMNH pass and can take people with to see stuff like the butterfly room they have. So relaxing in there watching them flutter around.)

Maybe take the bike down to the Rockaways and ride on the boardwalk. I have loved the renovations in Far Rockaway so much I am going to get a bike for the winter to ride down there. I’m excited for you. I hope you see some great tennis on Monday. I’ll be out there working, but if it’s just half a day I am finding my way to some matches!

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Venus gets Greet Minnen now. 

I'll post the thread tomorrow. 

Too bad. Back injury this young is not good. 

Wrist injury might be worse though. Jack Sock retires after dealing with wrist problems for years. Going to pickleball evidently.  

• 2 weeks later...

She gone. 

Two-time Grand Slam champion Simona Halep has been banned for four years for two separate anti-doping rule violations, the International Tennis Integrity Agency said Tuesday.

Halep, 31, has been provisionally suspended since October 2022 after testing positive for banned blood-booster Roxadustat at the US Open last year.

Halep said she would appeal to sport's highest court, saying she "refused to accept" the decision.

"I am continuing to train and do everything in my power to clear my name of these false allegations and return to the court," Halep said in a statement. "I intend to appeal this decision to The Court of Arbitration for Sport and pursue all legal remedies against the supplement company in question." 

Her suspension runs until Oct. 6, 2026. 

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/38385896/simona-halep-banned-4-years-separate-doping-violations

• Haha 1

Krueger’s Japanese opponent looked to be tiny. The racquet looked huge versus her full body. 

The side court camera must have been between 2’ and 3’ off the ground to give her a slight bit more stature, but Krueger is listed as being 6’1” and her racquet looked normal size. 

Americans having a nice week after Coco won in NYC.

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Sloane said fuck Guadalajara. 1 & 2 in an hour to the immortal Emiliana Arango, who I did not know existed until today. 

Something in the water?

Ons Jabeur 🇹🇳 is playing Alicia Parks 🇺🇸, who sucks ass but has a booming serve and on break point (Parks serving), a second serve was called “out” and the Mexicana chair ump overruled it “Corrwction, the serve was in.”

The American announcers calling the match from their studio in LA started chuckling and said “Jabeur is going to challenge that. That serve appeared to be out.”

This is the replay of the contact point that the chair ump overruled. 
IMG_7925.thumb.jpeg.b04d85a7796f617af797b7ffea9f11bb.jpeg

Guadalajara has enough money for the tech to keep humans from making calls. 

Parks has 28 unforced errors in the middle of the 9th game of the match.

Ostapenko getting ready to beat my girl Kostyuk… 

And scene.  Ostapenko vs Kenin in the next round.  

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Sloane said fuck Guadalajara. 1 & 2 in an hour to the immortal Emiliana Arango, who I did not know existed until today. 

Something in the water?

Ons Jabeur 🇹🇳 is playing Alicia Parks 🇺🇸, who sucks ass but has a booming serve and on break point (Parks serving), a second serve was called “out” and the Mexicana chair ump overruled it “Corrwction, the serve was in.”

The American announcers calling the match from their studio in LA started chuckling and said “Jabeur is going to challenge that. That serve appeared to be out.”

This is the replay of the contact point that the chair ump overruled. 
IMG_7925.thumb.jpeg.b04d85a7796f617af797b7ffea9f11bb.jpeg

Guadalajara has enough money for the tech to keep humans from making calls. 

Parks has 28 unforced errors in the middle of the 9th game of the match.

Ostapenko getting ready to beat my girl Kostyuk… 

And scene.  Ostapenko vs Kenin in the next round.  

UPDATE:

Jabeur challenged this serve that was called “Out”.  (May have been a chair ump call, not sure.

IMG_7926.jpeg