Jedi Survivor

jofus

Getting this started since the game will be out this month.

One of my biggest frustrations with Fallen Order was lack of fast travel. Looks like they’ve added fast travel and other means to move around more quickly.

Don’t read if you want to go in totally blind, but this article summarizes some improvements/changes they’ve made:

http://itemlevel.net/star-wars-jedi-survivor-biggest-changes-improvements-over-fallen-order/#:~:text=Biggest%20Changes%20%26%20Improvements%20Over%20Fallen%20Order%20–,Moves%20...%208%20Rugged%20and%20Bearded%20Cal%20

Spoiler

Sequels in games tend to have more content from the previous and some much-needed improvements and changes.

Aside from being a sequel to a very popular game, Star Wars Jedi Survivor is already a much-anticipated sequel that people have been looking forward to.

But how much of it is the same? Are we going to be expecting the same type of gameplay with little to no changes aside from a new story? Or are there improvements?

We talk about that and more here.

Biggest Changes & Improvements Over Fallen Order – Star Wars Jedi Survivor

The Sequel Takes Place 5 Years After Fallen Order

One of the biggest changes that are coming into the game is that it takes place 5 years after the events of the first game.

However, many may notice that the Mantis crew is no longer with Cal during the trailer. In the trailer, Cal is seen to be piloting the Mantis alone with BD-1. No Greez, no Cere, and no Merrin.

The story may shed light on what happened to the Mantis crew and why they are no longer with Cal (with the exception of Cere, who appears in the trailer). The popular theory right now is that Cal is doing everything he can to survive, which is the main theme of the game.

However, Cal’s methods of survival may not have gone well with the crew, thus the lack of appearance in the trailer. But we should wait before we jump to a conclusion.

New Companion

Speaking of crew, Cal will not find himself alone in this game. The trailer also shows a companion named Bode Akuna, who appears to be a mercenary.

The trailer shows that Bode isn’t like the other Mantis crew who let Cal do all the fighting. Bode can be seen doing a tag team takedown with Cal in the trailer, hinting that maybe Bode might be a companion you can bring around the game.

That is further confirmed by the devs that Bode is an AI companion that tags along that help in combat and traversal. It also seems like he will have a big role in the game, as devs say that he and Cal form a bond that is similar to brothers.

Although with how Star Wars is sometimes, I wouldn’t be surprised if Bode dies somewhere near the end of the game.

Traversal Gets a Huge Overhaul

In the trailer, we notice a ton of things besides the obvious missing Mantis crew. One of which is that Cal is able to use mounts to get around locations.

We see Cal riding on some sort of animal with hind legs, and we see Cal gliding with the help of a flying animal.

This is already very much different compared to Fallen Order, as the traversal for that game was meant for a more linear style of gameplay.

In Survivor, the game seems to incorporate much larger maps with a more open-world feel to it, thus the need to have mounts in order to get around faster. It’s also been said that Cal will be able to cross huge gaps by chaining several types of skills together.

However, if you don’t really care for traveling on mounts, then the game will introduce a fast travel system for you.

Cal also has some gadgets at his disposal to help to get around easily, which is a part of the traversal update.

The “Ascension Cable” is the game grappling hook. It will help you reach long ledges and help you swing across gaps should you find the prompt.

Not to mention that Cal can wall jump now, as well as use his lightsaber to slide down the wall.

New Planet

Survivor has a new planet that the players can move around in, and it is called Koboh.

Not much is known about this planet, but it is said that it is an entirely new planet in the Star Wars lore created specifically for Survivor.

Other than that fact, Koboh is said to be Cal’s “proving ground”, which will push Cal to his limits.

Return of the Droids

A huge treat for fans of the Prequels, the droids return once again as enemies in Survivor.

Not much is known as to how these droids are still operating, but many believe that someone was able to reprogram these droids to attack anyone. Or, in a darker tone that befits Survivor, they were reprogrammed to hunt down Cal.

The droids we see in the trailer are, of course, the classic lanky Battle Droids. Then we have their much bigger counterpart that looks like it hit the gym three times a day, the Super Battler Droid.

We even see the return of the biggest menace during the Clone Wars, the Droidekas, as well as the Magna Guards.

If you don’t remember who they are, they were General Grievous’ guards that carried electric staffs.

New Fighting Styles

While Fallen Order is an excellent game with amazing combat, some players (including myself) wished there were more lightsaber styles to use.

The game only had two, technically three if you count the special duel lightsaber attacks: single blade and double blade. Those were the only lightsaber styles you could use during the whole game. 

However, in Survivor, they seemed to have changed that to add a bit more pizazz.

Not only do you get the single-blade and double-blade lightsaber styles, but Cal can now use an actual dual-blade style, as well as a crossguard lightsaber, which is famously known thanks to Kylo Ren from the Sequels.

The game will also allow Cal to use a blaster in the game. It’s not a one-off scene where Cal uses it and makes a reference to Obi-Wan Kenobi’s civilized joke, but an actual gameplay mechanic.

There are even bonuses that change the looks of the blasters if you pre-order the Deluxe edition.

More Powerful Force Moves

Since it’s been five years since the events of Fallen Order, it is only normal to expect Cal becomes more powerful.

In the trailer, we see Cal use a more powerful Force Slow that seems to surround himself and the enemies around him.

We also see another shot of Cal throwing the double-bladed lightsaber around him in a circular motion, as well as a dual lightsaber throw.

Rugged and Bearded Cal

Not really a big change, but it is a change for our boy, Cal. Last we saw him, he was nothing more but a baby-faced Jedi wearing a poncho.

In Survivor, Cal rocks a more smuggler look, similar to that of Han Solo. He also got himself a nice clean cut and a beard to go along with it. Gone is the boy band Cal Kestis, as we now have the man of the house Cal Kestis.

So far, that’s all we have for the changes and improvements in Survivor. The game is still two months away, which was originally supposed to be a month prior to the delay.

With that said, there may be more changes coming into the game that we do not know about, so be sure to keep an ear out for any more news.

Edited by jofus

Fallen Order was great, and it sounds like Jedi Survior will  be a very solid sequel.

One thing I wished they'd updated, which it doesn't sounds like they did, is that I wish all the collectibles in the game actually had functional effects rather than just cosmetic. Like getting a certain poncho would provide increased defense or health or you could tweak your lightsaber configuration to get additional damage or elemental effects or something.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/3/2023 at 1:47 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

I never got around to Jedi Survivor, and was pissed I missed the $4 Steam sale two weeks ago.  Now it's $40 again.  Wonder if I should just skip it and play this one.  Also, PS5 or PC?

Looks like you can get the PS5 version of Fallen Order for $20 at Walmart of Best Buy or for $29 on Amazon.

I doubt you "need" to have played it to enjoy Jedi Survivor (most AAA sequels these days have a recap for people who missed the original), but it's a good game and worth playing on its own. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/16/2023 at 9:13 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Kind of related...holy fucking shit you have to see the trailer to believer it. Somebody added VR to Jedi Knight II.

the fucking dismemberment, decapitations.....I couldn't stop laughing.

holy fuckamoly this runs standalone on a Quest2!

I gotta download this!

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, vtaenz said:

lol that looks amazing

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

holy fuckamoly this runs standalone on a Quest2!

I gotta download this!

I have JK2 sitting in my Steam library in case my kid wants to play it (picked up a ton of the Star Wars games on a May 4th deal), but I have not played it since maybe a year after it came out. I just don't remember it being that fun/funny.  I remember it was really good, and I know they edited a lot of stuff together for this trailer, but it's not something that struck me as hilarious at the time.

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I have JK2 sitting in my Steam library in case my kid wants to play it (picked up a ton of the Star Wars games on a May 4th deal), but I have not played it since maybe a year after it came out. I just don't remember it being that fun/funny.  I remember it was really good, and I know they edited a lot of stuff together for this trailer, but it's not something that struck me as hilarious at the time.

JK2, I think the biggest thing that stands out is the first two missions compared to the rest of the game.
The game takes off once you get your lightsaber and force powers.

21 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

JK2, I think the biggest thing that stands out is the first two missions compared to the rest of the game.
The game takes off once you get your lightsaber and force powers.

The platforming level on Nar Shadaa may be a bit of a motherfucker in VR, especially if you're prone to motion sickness

I'll probably get this on console even though my desktop would run it far better... after that day 1 patch I assume.
Well I just realized I can't run this in my old xbone and in I've been holding out on getting the newer console until the elite version eventually comes out. I may end up getting this for PC after all.

This game is huge.

And by that, I mean that the disc itself (60gb) took 3-4 hours to download, then the rest of the game and the Day 1 patch took.....*calculates* nearly 14 hours. 

Should have done double discs instead of a single disc + a giant online download. 

It's a great game. I just finished the main story ~45 hours in, with 100% exploration (not collection) on each planet. They really took everything good about the first game and built on that, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm very glad that they mostly kept continuity with powers/abilities from the previous game, i.e. they didn't really regress Cal or BD's powers/abilities in the new game (some things go a bit backwards, but probably necessary for gating some of the exploration stuff) which is I think a lazy mistake that a lot of sequels make. I didn't spend tens of hours in your previous game to then build the same character from scratch in the next. Instead, there's mostly just more development in there building on top of what they learned/discovered in the first game.

The environments are stunning, and I'm glad I was able to enjoy them after they fixed the PC performance issues. I'm hoping they do something like add more planets in DLC.

Story was great, really stomps on the gas once you reach a certain point (if you've hit it, you know what I mean).

• Like 3

The FOMO got to me and I picked up Jedi Survivor for PC - what a fun fucking game! I love all the little freak weird dude characters they cram into every environment too, I'd bet we see more of them in Ahsoka and the other upcoming shows

Performance wise, this game is a HOG lol. I've got 32GB of RAM, a 5800X3D, and a 12GB 3080, playing at 1440p and this game is usually in the 50-60fps range with dips down into the low 30s occasionally. Definitely playable, but it would be screen tear city if I didn't have a Gsync monitor

• 2 weeks later...