Tell Me About Notre Dame

Vic Mackey

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Not sure of exact reason unless $2mill buyout for Utah OC was too much or ND got turned down -- Anyway Irish fans are upset about new OC hire, and the AD had to make a public statement about it... 😂😂😂😂😂😂

AD's statement...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/notre-dame-ad-rejects-report-school-wouldn-t-pay-utah-oc-s-buyout/ar-AA17CTIY

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure of exact reason unless $2mill buyout for Utah OC was too much or ND got turned down -- Anyway Irish fans are upset about new OC hire, and the AD had to make a public statement about it... 😂😂😂😂😂😂

AD's statement...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/notre-dame-ad-rejects-report-school-wouldn-t-pay-utah-oc-s-buyout/ar-AA17CTIY

Reminds me of Paul Chryst turning down the OC job at the End of Mack goings on. He came to Austin, talked with Mack, was offered the job, said he had to think about it and discuss with his family. He went back to Wisconsin and never called again. After a few days, Mack called him, told him he needed an answer. Chryst, said nope. Maxk went intno ditherage and when reporters asked Chryst wtf, Chryst replied "fish rot from the head down". I suspect we may have something like that going on right now at Notre Dame.

30 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Reminds me of Paul Chryst turning down the OC job at the End of Mack goings on. He came to Austin, talked with Mack, was offered the job, said he had to think about it and discuss with his family. He went back to Wisconsin and never called again. After a few days, Mack called him, told him he needed an answer. Chryst, said nope. Maxk went intno ditherage and when reporters asked Chryst wtf, Chryst replied "fish rot from the head down". I suspect we may have something like that going on right now at Notre Dame.

One reason Kelley was rumored to have left is because the administration was never willing to pony up to get and keep top assistants. They had numerous DC and OCs hired away including Elko. My guess is that Swarbrick is so blinded by their "national brand" and "independence" that he is actively hurting the program and thinks that people should be willing to take a pay cut to come coach under the hallowed touchdown Jesus. 

Edited by Vertigo

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

One reason Kelley was rumored to have left is because the administration was never willing to pony up to get and keep top assistants. They had numerous DC and OCs hired away including Elko. My guess is that Swarbrick is so blinded by their "national brand" and "independence" that he is actively hurting the program and thinks that people should be willing to take a pay cut to come coach under the hallowed touchdown Jesus. 

I would be proud if that was the cause of our golden dumpster fire.  It's actually only DC Elko.  Elko was forced upon Kelly by AD Savvy Jack. Elko asked ND to match an A&M offer after 1 year.  We did. But after the handshake deal, he went back to A&M, who as you know, just won't be outbid.  ND refused to bid again and I am glad we did not.

Otherwise I am unaware of anyone trying to poach Mike Denbrock, Brian Van Gorder, Kerry Cooks, Bob Diaco, Chuck Martin, Chip Long (available), Jeff Quinn (available), Del Alexander (available).  Most of those were Kelly's yes-men. A position coach to Ohio State or a HC offer is not really a poach. 

Don't get me wrong this is a total failure of leadership.  What the fan mob gets wrong is thinking this has been normal.  Jack&Brian normally kept staff drama under wraps. 

• 5 months later...

Former Urban Meyer guy... Matt Balis strength & conditioning resigns at ND

SOUTH BEND Matt Balis, Notre Dame’s widely influential director of football performance for the past 6 1/2 years, abruptly resigned Tuesday, effectively immediately.  In a six-paragraph news release that cited “personal reasons,” the university made the announcement less than 24 hours before the start of fall training camp

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/football/2023/07/25/notre-dame-football-matt-balis-resigns-as-director-of-performance-marcus-freeman-fred-hale/70463381007/

----------------------------------------------

Balis abruptly out at Notre Dame

Irish strength coach had been heralded as a key holdover from Brian Kelly to Marcus Freeman transition

JOHN BRICE        JUL 25, 2023

Matt Balis, the renowned strength coach who was utilized in highlight videos that spotlighted Marcus Freeman's ascension to Fighting Irish head coach, is out at Notre Dame.

The school formally announced Balis's resignation Tuesday afternoon; the school's release noted that Balis had resigned effective immediately.

Sources indicated to FootballScoop Tuesday morning that Balis already had cleared out his office inside the Notre Dame football complex.

"I want to thank Coach Balis for all of the work he put into elevating our program," Freeman said in a release. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for who he is as a coach and a man.

"While there is never a perfect time to lose a valuable teammate, we are thankful that Coach Balis was able to see us through our summer program and have our players physically prepared to head into the upcoming season."

Balis had been afforded other opportunities throughout football in recent years, and sources said at the time that Brian Kelly departed for LSU that Balis could have gone to the Bayou with Kelly.

However, Irish athletics director Jack Swarbrick prioritized Notre Dame's ability to retain Balis, who recommitted to the program shortly after Kelly's departure. Sources told FootballScoop that Balis received a new contract and a raise when he elected to remain with the program.

Balis spoke of that transition in March 2022.

"A blessing. Humbling," Balis said of being kept in his position as the Notre Dame program moved forward, the same words Balis also used to describe his role in the promotional video that showcased Freeman being elevated to head coach. "The opportunity to work at a place like this, I’ve always said, is incredible. And to get to work with the student-athletes that we get to work with is the best. And then for Jack to say that and allow me to continue to be a part of this, was awesome. Was incredibly humbling, like I said, and a dream come true for my family."

Per ND's statement, Fred Hale will oversee football strength and conditioning on an interim basis. Balis's bio already has been removed from the UND.com Web site. 

Notre Dame opens its much-anticipated 2023 season in Week 0, when it travels to Dublin, Ireland to face Navy on Aug. 26. 

----------------------------------------------

(Urban Meyer, the former Notre Dame assistant and three-time national champion at Ohio State and Florida, was a key figure in Balis’ rise after hiring him at Utah and bringing him to Florida.)

Edited by LTtxfan

Also lost Johhny Lujack at 98.  In 1943 ND started 6-0 and the QB was randomly drafted into the service.  Lujack took over as QB and won the 43 title, despite the choke @ The Great Lakes Naval Training Center.  That was presumably their most famous game as they cancelled football in 1945. 

Never once saw Lujack in the Heisman House. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

How Marcus Freeman, Notre Dame leaned into sports science, analytics for a fresher Fighting Irish squad

Freeman says the Irish reduced concussions by 50%, drastically trimmed other injuries and ailments

JOHN BRICE      AUG 25, 2023

DUBLIN, Ireland – As Notre Dame kicks off what many inside the program believe could be a College Football Playoff-type season here Saturday in its long-running series with Navy, the Fighting Irish are opening 2023 as a deeper, and more importantly, much fresher team, according to second-year coach Marcus Freeman.

After studying injuries from Notre Dame’s 2022 preseason camp, Freeman met with members of Notre Dame’s medical team and sports science staff – namely sports performance director John Wagle and head athletic trainer Rob Hunt – to brainstorm for a modified camp approach that they believed would be more efficient, and healthier, for the Irish.

Earlier this week, Freeman touted the results: the Irish cut down on concussions by more than 50 percent, drastically reduced soft-tissue/muscle injuries and also had almost 80 percent fewer issues of players dehydrating, Freeman said.

“I looked at the injuries from last year in fall camp, and I said we have to find a better way to do this,” Freeman said. “I think we were down over half the concussions. I know we decreased in every soft-tissue ligament injury in all facets. We really decreased the injuries. I know the (milder) weather helped, but I think we were 79 percent down in dehydration for fall camp.

“Our team did a great job. The sports performance team, the medical trainers, our coaches really did a great job of keeping the guys healthy and making sure we have everybody we need [going into the season].”

On Thursday, less than 48 hours before the Irish were set to kick off against Navy inside Dublin’s Aviva Stadium, Freeman shared that he had carried an adaptable, modified approach into this game week.

“We had to make some adjustments based off of what I thought going in on Monday and how I wanted to be structured versus what the total output was,” said Freeman, 9-4 last season in his first campaign as head coach. “I had to change a little bit of Wednesday’s practice because the heat added something to that [temperatures soared into the 90s in the South Bend, Indiana, region].

“(John) Wagle and Rob Hunt were able to give this report at the end of fall camp and say I want you to know we’ve done a good job at keeping our players healthy. Here’s some data that will tell you that. It’s good to see. I wish there was a perfect science, and we’ll evaluate it after this season. There’s always going to be a way to improve. It is what it is. You have to find a way to improve, but I hope we can look back after the season and say we prepared the right way or we need to enhance it a little bit more.”

The Irish’s most noteworthy camp injuries were ACL tears for tight end Kevin Bauman and defensive end Aiden Gobaira. Otherwise, Notre Dame enters its season of great expectations with its roster largely intact.

In addition to the health and work-load management components, Freeman also mandated his coaches devote time with more reps featuring second- and third-team players on offense going against the top defense, and vice versa during specific periods of practices.

That, Freeman also said, has left the Irish with improved depth as they open the season against Navy in what is the first of eight-straight games for Notre Dame.

In fact, Notre Dame’s season will be halfway finished – with six games completed – before the calendar flips to October. 

• 1 month later...

Pretty cool hearing coaches on headsets 😋

Notre Dame takes you inside the coaching headsets on clutch final drive of win over Duke

DOUG SAMUELS        OCT 3, 2023

For really no other good reason other than looking for ways to grow and get better, I have always wondered if any program out there did recordings of their in-game communications.

It has just always seemed strange to me that we film practices and games, but then rely on memory to go back through our thought processes and communications in key moments of games, and recording those moments to look back on seems like something that someone much smarter than me would have thought to do at some point.

Well that brings me to one of the most impressive game recaps I've come across in my over decade with FootballScoop.

Notre Dame rolled out this look of their clutch final drive of the game against Duke and it includes actual headset audio (from CoachComm's XSystem) among the coaching staff synced up to the game's biggest moments.

The conversations among the offensive staff of Gerad Parker, Gino Guidugli, and Chansi Stuckey as well as head coach Marcus Freeman and special teams coordinator Marty Biagi, are incredible to hear as the drive progresses, as they look to get in field goal range.

At one point in the drive, just before Sam Hartman's 4th and 16 scramble for a first down to extend the drive, Parker leans on his offensive assistants about their best zone throw, to which Stuckey confirms it's a scheme designed for receiver Rico Flores.

Parker asks Freeman after that big conversion by Hartman if they should "try to go, or hand it" off, and Freeman and Guidugli both recommended handing it off. That decision ends up being the run that broke free for a touchdown to push the score to 19-14.

As the Irish prepare to go for two, Parker prompts Guidugli to remind the running back to cheat to the edge, and that helps Rico Flores score on the play they talked about as a staff earlier that drive.

This is awesome stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Notre Dame closing in on hiring new strength coach

JOHN BRICE       23 HOURS AGO

After working through the 2023 season with an interim strength coach following the abrupt, late-July resignation of the well-regarded, award-winning Matt Balis, Marcus Freeman and Notre Dame are on the verge of filling Balis's top spot overseeing Fighting Irish football performance.

Sources tell FootballScoop that Loren Landow, a strength and conditioning coaching veteran with approximately three decades' experience, including a long run atop the Denver Broncos' strength program, is in negotiations to become Notre Dame's next strength and conditioning coach.

According to multiple sources, the two sides have negotiated on the deal the past 24 to 72 hours.  Landow had served five years for the Broncos before he parted ways with the franchise early in 2023 after Denver hired Sean Payton to head its football team.

But Landow, who has his own sports performance business and according to his website has trained Christian McCaffrey, Von Miller and Peyton Manning, among multiple Olympic athletes.

Freeman has conducted through recent weeks an extremely in-depth search that included, numerous sources told FootballScoop, discussions with different strength and conditioning coaches with direct ties to the NFL, as well as multiple Power 5 coaches.

Multiple sources told FootballScoop that Freeman & Co. talked about the Notre Dame position with, among others, Aaron Wellman, most recently at Indiana University but who also has helmed the programs at Michigan and for the NFL's New York Giants; additionally, sources told FootballScoop within the past week to 10 days that Notre Dame engaged discussions with Alabama strength coach David Ballou.

Sources in the SEC told FootballScoop that Ballou, who rose to acclaim at Indiana before he was lured away to the Crimson Tide by Nick Saban, was expected to rework his deal to remain at Alabama.

Freeman has compiled an 18-8 ledger through his first 26 games as replacement to Brian Kelly. He led the Irish to an 9-3 campaign in 2023 that included a win against then-undefeated and top-10 USC.

The Irish face Oregon State later this month at the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas. 

• 1 month later...

Adding OC news since not on this thread...

TODAY:

Sources: LSU staffer, former college head coach Trent Miles heading back to Notre Dame

An Indiana native, Miles previously coached wideouts for the Fighting Irish

JOHN BRICE               6 HOURS AGO

Trent Miles is heading back home.

And in the process, the two-time college head coach and former Philadelphia Eagles assistant is rejoining one of college football's most storied programs: Notre Dame.

Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Miles is departing his role as a senior offensive analyst at LSU for a similar post with the Fighting Irish.

Miles quickly reunites with Mike Denbrock, the reigning FootballScoop 2023 Offensive Coordinator of the Year and new-old Notre Dame offensive coordinator.

Marcus Freeman and the Irish pried away Denbrock from LSU late last month with a four-deal that immediately elevated Denbrock among the sport's highest-paid coordinators.

Just as Denbrock is back at Notre Dame, Miles also is returning to South Bend, Indiana, where he served as wide receivers coach for three seasons -- 2002-04 -- under ex-Irish coach Ty Willingham.

In addition to head coaching stints at FCS Indiana State and FBS Georgia State, Miles also brings with him significant Power 5 assistant coaching experience from roles with Stanford and Washington, 

During his run atop his alma mater, Indiana State, Miles was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson National Coach of the Year award, and he earned a Super Bowl ring during his time with the Eagles when Philadelphia toppled New England for the crown. 

The Irish, coming off an 10-3 season in Freeman's second year at the helm, start spring camp in March, host their annual Blue-Gold Spring Game April 20 and begin their 2024 season Aug. 31 at Texas A&M -- now coached by former Irish defensive coordinator Mike Elko.

Sources: Marcus Freeman stays hot, hanging on to Chad Bowden after Michigan courtship

Bowden widely is regarded as an elite personnel, recruiting pro; key to Irish's stellar 2023-24 signing classes

JOHN BRICE            1 HOUR AGO

The calls, per multiple sources, came from the highest levels of Sherrone Moore's University of Michigan football program.

The recipient? 

Chad Bowden. 

Currently Notre Dame's director of recruiting and the very first hire for Marcus Freeman after accepting the Fighting Irish defensive coordinator position in 2021, he was being heavily courted to head up the Wolverines personnel efforts in a general manager-type role as they transition into the Moore era.

The pursuit of Bowden, several sources shared Thursday morning with FootballScoop, has ended -- because Notre Dame has secured Bowden's services for the future.

A former prep assistant football coach and defensive coordinator, Bowden has opted to remain with the Fighting Irish football program after hearing from Freeman and additional members of Notre Dame athletics who emphasized to Bowden their commitment to keeping him as a linchpin component of Notre Dame recruiting and personnel.

Bowden, son of well-known former Major League Baseball general manager Jim Bowden, carved a unique path in football. In addition to his on-field coaching background, Bowden learned the recruiting ropes under Brian Mason.

Yes, Brian Mason the 2022 FootballScoop Special Teams Coordinator of the Year and current special teams coordinator for the NFL's Indianapolis Colts. 

Already with 14 commitments in the 2025 class, the Fighting Irish for the third consecutive year under Bowden's purview have.a recruiting class that's attained a No. 1 national ranking.

Too, after a recent high-profile, well-attended junior day filled with top prospects despite cold, snowy weather, Notre Dame is expected to further boost its group of commitments in the coming weeks. 

In turning down more money and an overview position at Notre Dame's longtime rival, Michigan, sources indicated Bowden will further see his responsibilities grow. Sources, however, stressed it had as much to do with Bowden's undeniable impact on Notre Dame recruiting and sustaining the culture that he's helped Freeman identify and build through the recruiting process as much as response to any external opportunities. 

The Irish have a pair of top-eight classes among their three official signing hauls since Freeman inked to replace Brian Kelly as Notre Dame's head coach in December 2021.

In his time working with Freeman, dating to their days together in the Queen City, Bowden has gone from former student-assistant recruiting worker to requisite addition at Notre Dame initially just working with Freeman's defensive recruiting to now essentially oversee all of Notre Dame's personnel and recruiting strategies.

During the AFCA Convention earlier this month in Nashville, at FootballScoop's annual meet-and-greet, peer personnel leaders from college football shared with FootballScoop that Bowden had emerged on the radar of some SEC programs in need of new personnel direction, with one source directly telling FootballScoop, "We have to pay attention now to who Notre Dame is recruiting. We didn't use to have to do that."

The executive credited that awareness to the Bowden-Freeman duo.

Bowden also has started to show a knack for developing personnel employees, in addition to his work in roster assembly. Both Carter Auman and Dre Brown have grown into larger roles within Notre Dame's personnel department while late last month longtime Irish recruiting assistant Caleb Davis was hired away by Gerad Parker to help run Troy's personnel and recruiting operations.

At Wisconsin, helping run recruiting and personnel for Badgers coach and former Cincinnati head man Luke Fickell are player personnel director Max Stienecker and recruiting director Pat Lambert -- both of whom got their starts, in part, under Bowden at Cincinnati.

Additionally, Landan Yount has grown from former Bowden assistant at Notre Dame to first running the personnel operations at Dartmouth and now becoming a key, early hire for Derek Mason at MTSU as the Blue Raiders director of recruiting. 

The Irish, who finished 10-3 last season after they thumped Oregon State in the Sun Bowl, signed Duke transfer-quarterback Riley Leonard out of the NCAA Transfer Portal -- the second consecutive year that Bowden helped the program land arguably the top signal-caller in the Portal, after working with Tommy Rees a year ago to secure Sam Hartman -- and return myriad key starters on the defensive side of the ball, including tackles Rylie Mills and Howard Cross III.

Notre Dame opens its 2024 season Aug. 31 at Texas A&M -- which will be playing its first game under new head coach and former Irish defensive coordinator, Mike Elko.

On 2/1/2024 at 11:12 AM, LTtxfan said:

Sources: Marcus Freeman stays hot, hanging on to Chad Bowden after Michigan courtship

Bowden widely is regarded as an elite personnel, recruiting pro; key to Irish's stellar 2023-24 signing classes

JOHN BRICE            1 HOUR AGO

What's in a name?