Tell Me About Notre Dame

Vic Mackey

• 1 month later...

If Notre Dame gets embarrassed again like they did in 2012 it is going to set the program back years. JMHO.  I don't believe they'll be given the same consideration again for an undefeated season that they've been afforded so far. Without a championship game, a single game that is a must win to get an invite, I don't think they'll be taken seriously unless and until  they just absolutely dominate all competition throughout a season. If they beat Clemson and get to the championship game then I think that will be validation enough but without that happening? Nope. Fool me twice, shame on me.

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

If Notre Dame gets embarrassed again like they did in 2012 it is going to set the program back years. JMHO.  I don't believe they'll be given the same consideration again for an undefeated season that they've been afforded so far. Without a championship game, a single game that is a must win to get an invite, I don't think they'll be taken seriously unless and until  they just absolutely dominate all competition throughout a season. If they beat Clemson and get to the championship game then I think that will be validation enough but without that happening? Nope. Fool me twice, shame on me.

WE didn't get much consideration this year at all.  Just years ago it was inconceivable that a 1 loss ND team would not be in the playoff discussion (BCS nonwithstanding).  Or for us to be behind a 1 loss LSU.

38 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

WE didn't get much consideration this year at all.  Just years ago it was inconceivable that a 1 loss ND team would not be in the playoff discussion (BCS nonwithstanding).  Or for us to be behind a 1 loss LSU.

I'm just pointing out that going undefeated may not be enough for the Irish going forward if they should squander this opportunity. If you thought the scrutiny this year was tough - lose and I think you'll see that it wasn't so harsh.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, El Diablo said:

I'm just pointing out that going undefeated may not be enough for the Irish going forward if they should squander this opportunity. If you thought the scrutiny this year was tough - lose and I think you'll see that it wasn't so harsh.

the day that going undefeated isn't enough to let Norte Dame in is the day they start letting 8 teams in.

9 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

the day that going undefeated isn't enough to let Norte Dame in is the day they start letting 8 teams in.

You're most likely right but there is some room to argue otherwise. I think given their track record that if there is someone else seemingly worthy at the same time and if the Irish don't just annihilate all their competition then the Leper Cons need to be worried.

22 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

You're most likely right but there is some room to argue otherwise. I think given their track record that if there is someone else seemingly worthy at the same time and if the Irish don't just annihilate all their competition then the Leper Cons need to be worried.

Notre Dame got in on the strength of their resume. Undefeated against a schedule featuring 10 P5 teams and 3 teams that were ranked in the final CFP poll (including a top 10 team). Even if they don't pass the eye test, they will get in any time they go 12-0.

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Notre Dame got in on the strength of their resume. Undefeated against a schedule featuring 10 P5 teams and 3 teams that were ranked in the final CFP poll (including a top 10 team). Even if they don't pass the eye test, they will get in any time they go 12-0.

but the committee is supposed to be all about the eye test, it's why there's a committee.

22 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I wouldn't mind playing them more often as part of their extra game if it were added. I could live with less UTEP and semi-guaranteed OOC victory.

Our beloved Horns have LSU, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan and Georgia home and home over the next decade.  I also see a 2 for 1 with USF.  With OU on the slate every year, I'm not sure I'd want to pile ND on that plate also.

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/27/FB_0727133417.aspx

Boo fucking whoo. I hope the ACC keeps fucking them schedule wise for not fully joining the ACC. 
Fucking this. They got in the playoffs without playing a conference championship game like every other team. They have their own rules. Boo fucking hoo indeed. No one is going to feel bad for them.

This is already known, but Brian Kelly is a dick.

Spoiler

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- On a winter night in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, Matt LaFleur and Robert Saleh thought they were invited to a party at the home of their boss, Central Michigan University football coach Brian Kelly.

Turns out, they weren’t on the guest list.

They were on the worker list.

"We shoveled the snow and parked all the cars," Saleh said. "Then, at the end of the night, we had to go get the cars again."

And then they went back to the tiny apartment they shared as graduate assistants and stood around their kitchen table -- the one without any chairs.

"We decided that when we’re in that position, we’re never going to treat people the way we got treated," said Saleh, now the San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator. "And Matty’s lived up to it."

55 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

This is already known, but Brian Kelly is a dick.

Hide contents

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- On a winter night in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, Matt LaFleur and Robert Saleh thought they were invited to a party at the home of their boss, Central Michigan University football coach Brian Kelly.

Turns out, they weren’t on the guest list.

They were on the worker list.

"We shoveled the snow and parked all the cars," Saleh said. "Then, at the end of the night, we had to go get the cars again."

And then they went back to the tiny apartment they shared as graduate assistants and stood around their kitchen table -- the one without any chairs.

"We decided that when we’re in that position, we’re never going to treat people the way we got treated," said Saleh, now the San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator. "And Matty’s lived up to it."

Confirms what we knew. Kelly a real ass wipe.

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

What a shame! I guess they could stop being pussies, do the unthinkable and join the conference. The P5 teams that are in the playoffs have to contend with an additional game in their respective conference championship games, not Notre Dame. I'm tired of watching these frauds consistently having their asses smeared in marquee bowl games. They haven't won a notable bowl game since the 1990s and only appeared in the BCS national championship game back in 2012 because Ohio St was on probation.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Connelly: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/5/13/18525661/notre-dame-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

TL;DR: They're going to be good, but not Bama/Clemson good.

Notre Dame’s fate has swung wildly because of the flakiness of close-game fortune. That makes 2019’s schedule a little odd: there aren’t many projected close games.

Per S&P+, the Irish are double-digit favorites in nine games and a two-touchdown underdog at Georgia. Barring injuries or other surprises, that leaves two games — at Michigan on October 26, at Stanford on November 30 — to decide whether this is another good season or another CFP run.

Either way, this is likely to further burnish Kelly’s credentials as one of the most successful coaches of the decade. Only six coaches have produced more S&P+ top-20 performances in the 2010s; two retired this offseason (Urban Meyer, Mark Richt), and two have recently changed teams (Jimbo Fisher, Les Miles).

The other two are Saban and, less than four years removed from the monsoon game, Swinney. They are perhaps uncatchable at this point, but Best of the Rest isn’t the worst goal in the world.

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

Connelly: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/5/13/18525661/notre-dame-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

TL;DR: They're going to be good, but not Bama/Clemson good.

I like the line graph of the S&P.  The W shape in 2016 makes it easy to spot the day Brian Van Gorder was fired.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...