Rockport

927 E. 41st

It's been a few years, but I have had nice meals at Latitude in downtown RP (more upscale).  The Boiling Pot in Fulton has always been consistent and might be a good stop during crawfish season.  @Patricio Swayze might have recommendations because I believe his parents live down there.  My in-laws live down there, hence "it's been a few years." 

• Like 1

Paradise Key is good food and is on the water next to a boat ramp. 
Pier 44 and Latitude are good, Steerburger is a really good burger, Shempy’s is good for fried seafood but not fancy.  
Boiling Pot is total crap now days, hardly any seasoning on their boils and I ask for extra spicy and the shrimp you couldn’t even peel it was so over cooked.  I think people just go there still out of nostalgia from 20 years ago. SR boil is better if you want crawfish. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 1

I’m gonna disagree on paradise key. Last meal there was garbage.

Pier 77 is good and the plates are big. Note that they are cash only (there is an atm there).

Steer burger is solid.

Boiling pot was ok the last time I had crawfish, but certainly nothing like a backyard boil.

Gnarly Marlin is good.

Charlotte Plummer’s is mostly nostalgia, although the shrimp is still good.

Cheesesteak at Chicago Hotdog is good.

I HIGHLY recommend Butter’s BBQ in Sinton.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Moondog's also has solid food and a great outdoor deck built over the water.  If they have their bbq brisket pastrami sandwich on the menu, get it.  It's outstanding.  As a whole, the restaurants in Port A are a lot better.

Edited by kevwun

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Gnarly Marlin is good.

I was there a couple weekends ago and it took a hour and a half to get our appetizer and they weren’t that busy….  It was the whole restaurant though, the kitchen was going thru some shit and we were sitting at the bar having drinks but a few tables just left.  Bartender told us the owner was in the back yelling at the kitchen.  Hopefully they got things figured out, food was pretty good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

I was there a couple weekends ago and it took a hour and a half to get our appetizer and they weren’t that busy….  It was the whole restaurant though, the kitchen was going thru some shit and we were sitting at the bar having drinks but a few tables just left.  Bartender told us the owner was in the back yelling at the kitchen.  Hopefully they got things figured out, food was pretty good.  

Was it Gordon Ramsey? That guy knows how to yell at his kitchen.

On a serious note, thanks for the update on the breakfast tacos. It's walking distance from where we are staying, so that's a definite go. Do they have good coffee too? I'm willing to make multiple stops.

• 2 weeks later...

Moondog's and Latitude were both great. Had Marriott points, so stayed at the Fairfield. It was okay. Fairly new, but all of the glass has this bizarre blue window tint, it was strange enough to make me stay elsewhere if I was going back anytime soon. Next trip

Otto's in Fredericksburg was also great. Had a perfect day for hiking Enchanted Rock. 

Does anybody know why we still have the damn ferry instead of a bridge to connect to Port A? I assume that any bridge that would allow shipping to pass in the channel would be prohibitively tall/steep. Still think they could build a "climbing loop" entrance and exit with a lift bridge. 

11 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Moondog's and Latitude were both great. Had Marriott points, so stayed at the Fairfield. It was okay. Fairly new, but all of the glass has this bizarre blue window tint, it was strange enough to make me stay elsewhere if I was going back anytime soon. Next trip

Otto's in Fredericksburg was also great. Had a perfect day for hiking Enchanted Rock. 

Does anybody know why we still have the damn ferry instead of a bridge to connect to Port A? I assume that any bridge that would allow shipping to pass in the channel would be prohibitively tall/steep. Still think they could build a "climbing loop" entrance and exit with a lift bridge. 

Keiwit moves huge structures through there

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah. Pretty tough to float a platform out from Ingleside with a bridge in the way.

I get that, but doesn't seem impossible. It's only a quarter mile or so. It wouldn't even be much of a tunnel if they decided to go that route.

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Kiewit moves huge structures through there

FIFY. (Kiewit employee here)

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah. Pretty tough to float a platform out from Ingleside with a bridge in the way.

Yeah I like being employed.  

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Tunnel would be expensive as hell. Bridge would have to be like the new one in CC.

Considering what an absolute clusterfuck the new harbor bridge has become I don't think anyone in this area would be thrilled about trying to build another one of those.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/6/2023 at 11:52 AM, 927 E. 41st said:

There is a bridge.  You just have to come through Corpus and N. Padre.

11 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Is that Bullwinkle? 
saw that thing being build for many a trips. 

Yep.  Bullwinkle.  My dad took me and some buddies down to the marina so we could watch it when they tugged it by.  So, I'm guessing I'm one of those dots on the pier.  I think I was about 8 or 9.  Absolutely massive.

The secret to the ferry is that if the wait time is longer than 30 minutes, you drive down the island and go through Corpus.  There's not enough land on the Port A side to put in the size of bridge that is required there.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

The secret to the ferry is that if the wait time is longer than 30 minutes, you drive down the island and go through Corpus.  There's not enough land on the Port A side to put in the size of bridge that is required there.

Yeah the bridge would fly over Port A and end somewhere near Fish Pass.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

correct, just drive around