Latest and Greatest Satellite Imagery

The lease, where I hunt, between Benjamin and Guthrie has been hit by two years worth of rainfall in one month. All of the roads to camp are washed out. We have been considering a helicopter to take us to camp, drive in as far as possible and try to get a drone in. We have had a few storms with probable 100 mph winds and large hail.

Google Earth hasn't taken an image since before our camp was even there. Is there a website that has somewhat current satellite imagery? I would pay for it. How current of imagery can a civilian get? Thirty days, two weeks, three days?

CHIEF

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

The lease, where I hunt, between Benjamin and Guthrie has been hit by two years worth of rainfall in one month. All of the roads to camp are washed out. We have been considering a helicopter to take us to camp, drive in as far as possible and try to get a drone in. We have had a few storms with probable 100 mph winds and large hail.

Google Earth hasn't taken an image since before our camp was even there. Is there a website that has somewhat current satellite imagery? I would pay for it. How current of imagery can a civilian get? Thirty days, two weeks, three days?

CHIEF

There are some GIS stuff out there, but I can’t recall any by name. Do you have any pipeliner buddies?  Fwiw, GoogleEarth hasn’t updated our place in I don’t know how many years.  Several pipelines ago :( 

Edited by fattyflattie

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

There are some GIS stuff out there, but I can’t recall any by name. Do you have any pipeliner buddies?  Fwiw, GoogleEarth hasn’t updated our place in I don’t know how many years.  Several pipelines ago :( 

One of my neighbors and a good friend actually built the pipeline across the east boundary. I can ask him tomorrow if there is a way to get something to look at.

CHIEF

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

I hope that you aren't complaining about the rain.  True Texans never complain about rain!  Maybe inconvenient sometimes, but always welcome.

8 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I hope that you aren't complaining about the rain.  True Texans never complain about rain!  Maybe inconvenient sometimes, but always welcome.

Definitely not. Rain and plenty of forage make for tremendous horn growth. I'm stoked, but fucked.

CHIEF

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Dang. For my area that one is at least 6-7 years old.  

I think coastal is fresher, check out Pass Cavallo/Fish Pond/Sunday Beach

can see construction on new Costco in my area

Edited by 4th and 5
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

I think coastal is fresher, check out Pass Cavallo/Fish Pond/Sunday Beach

can see construction on new Costco in my area

Good call. Looks like my little family spot “Saturday beach” is getting built back up and deep again.  That little pocket on the East side of the pass was a fantastic area for kids when mine were smaller.  All hard sand and clear. Anywhere from 6” to 18” deep.  

CHIEF

If you were going to take a helo to camp, why wouldn’t you just have them fly you over the area? You’ll get about 45 min tops on a drone battery if you are lucky. Might not be enough time to get it where you are able to see everything you want and back in.