Saudi Pro League

MoJames

Obviously it's been a busy offseason for the league but I realized I had no clue if this was all one team in the league or several doing the purchasing so I went and looked.

Ittihad Club
 - Benzema
 - Kante
 - Jota

Al-Nassr (Cristiano's Team)
 - Seko Fofana
 - Brozovic

Al-Hilal
 - Ruben Neves
 - SMS
 - Koulibaly

Al-Ahli
 - Firmino
 - Mendy

So really looks like 4 teams are splashing cash around with several upcoming moves being mentioned. Crazy times. 

37 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Sadio Mane is rumored to be headed to Al-Nassr. 

Yeah current rumors that seem legit with a 5th team added to the frey

Ittihad Club
 - Fabinho

Al-Nassr
 - Sadio Mane
 - Alex Telles

Al-Hilal
 - Lukaku
 - Pepe

Al-Ahli
 - Riyad Mahrez

- Saint-Maximin

Al-Ettifaq
 - Jordan Henderson
 - Eric Bailly

Edited by MoJames

Is the money really that much better than these guys could get from MLS that they're agreeing to live in Saudi?  Especially considering how much they've already earned in their careers?  I don't get it.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Is the money really that much better than these guys could get from MLS that they're agreeing to live in Saudi?  Especially considering how much they've already earned in their careers?  I don't get it.

The money isn’t really that close. I mean we’re talking about many more zeros on the checks (before the decimal).

that said, and I could be wrong, but IMHO the decision of MLS vs Saudi Arabia is really did you take care of your money from your career?

no? Saudi Arabia. 
yes? MLS

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

MLS money isn’t even close to what they are getting over there. Messi is the exception because he is Messi. 

Those guys aren't getting what Saudi offered Messi either though.  But point taken, I'm sure they can all get more money in Saudi than in MLS but then they have to live in Saudi.

Yeah…. Messi and maybe CR7 are the only guys that would do better in the MLS because of endorsements etc.  But going to play there, at least right now, seems to put you in more obscurity than the LIV tour.  And fucking living there would be a beating. They probably get set up with the “rules for thee not for ye” as part of the deal though.   

Edited by A-Tex Devil

As an example, Riyad Mahrez is reporting getting 30 million euros a year from Al-Ahli. Before Messi, the highest salary in MLS was $8 million I believe.

18 hours ago, MoJames said:

Yeah current rumors that seem legit with a 5th team added to the frey

Ittihad Club
 - Fabinho

Al-Nassr
 - Sadio Mane
 - Alex Telles

Al-Hilal
 - Lukaku
 - Pepe

Al-Ahli
 - Riyad Mahrez

- Saint-Maximin

Al-Ettifaq
 - Jordan Henderson
 - Eric Bailly

I'm pretty sure four of those clubs are "owned" by the PIF, so they've essentially got limitless funds. All of the other clubs in the league are owned by private Saudi corporations, so almost limitless funds.

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Yeah…. Messi and maybe CR7 are the only guys that would do better in the MLS because of endorsements etc.  But going to play there, at least right now, seems to put you in more obscurity than the LIV tour.  And fucking living there would be a beating. They probably get set up with the “rules for thee not for ye” as part of the deal though.   

I think most of them are leaving their wives and kids back in England/Spain. Says a lot about how shitty it is over there. 

13 hours ago, WBT said:

here’s a pretty good explanation of the money structure in MLS. the constant expansion of the league and the salary rules are going to hamstring MLS from ever catching up to the big boys and that’s before you even consider the lack of euro tournaments and inter league play here. basically we’ll never be able to pay most of these guys enough to consider MLS over saudi. 

I highly doubt the Petrol State is going to pay that much for one year and then letting him go on a free. I'd imagine they'll try to get a longer deal out of him, which he does not want. He wants Real Madrid and PSG is foolish to not get it done.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah.  He doesn’t want to go to SA it is clear.  Seems like all these other dudes and the LIV golfers accepted their deal with the devil but it’s a shitload of money for what will ultimately be (at least temporary) obscurity. It has a real life Space Jam feel to it all but instead of getting kidnapped by Marvin the Martian they are getting money whipped by MBS et al.   

Mbappe is in his prime.  His endorsement money probably plummets if he is in SA.   

PSG need to take the $110m or so from RM and end it.  This Saudi deal has given RM more leverage imo.  

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LOS ANGELES, CA – July 26, 2023 – The worlds of football, entertainment, and toys are set for an unprecedented collision. Playmates Toys, a titan in the toy industry, and Warner Brothers, a global leader in entertainment, are launching a joint bid to sign football prodigy, Kylian Mbappe, from Paris Saint-Germain (PSG).

The aim of this bold venture is to cast Mbappe as the face of Donatello in the forthcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. This ambitious strategy follows hot on the heels of  Mattel’s successful Barbie release and embodies the industries ongoing commitment to innovative and engaging marketing techniques.

In a surprising twist, Playmates Toys and Warner Brothers now find themselves head-to-head with heavyweight competitors Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) and Real Madrid in the race to secure Mbappe's services.

"The synergies between the worlds of sport and entertainment have never been stronger," said a spokesperson from Playmates Toys. "The opportunity to involve a global football icon like Mbappe in our upcoming project with Warner Brothers is incredibly exciting."

While the football world eagerly anticipates Mbappe's next move, Playmates Toys and Warner Brothers are proposing an exciting alternative path. Could the PSG star trade his football jersey for the iconic purple mask of Donatello? The suspense continues.

More details will be disclosed as the situation develops.