bizplan/deck/doc pitch format(s), vc/pe research sites/tools, etc.

23 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Part of me thinks he is trolling. The other part, just really naïve.

if you could invent googlemaps/directions, were you naive when you wrote it down?

if you could bring military-grade C6ISR to the entire planet, should you write it down?

https://www.trentonsystems.com/blog/c2-c4isr-c5isr-c6isr-differences

and before anyone starts in on me...

THIS IS NOT A FUCKING TRAP

This will sound harsh, but I don't intend it to be mean-spirited.

From what I can tell, the biggest problem is that you have an idea and that's it. No team, no plan, no nothing.

You don't need a pitch deck. You need a plan. And if you're going to be successful, at a minimum you need to (1) have enough savvy to develop the plan yourself or (2) assemble a team that will help you successfully plan and implement it.

Good ideas are a dime a dozen. I'll give you some: fully self-driving cars; a cure for cancer; interstellar space travel. All great ideas that are worthless without a path to make them reality.

1 hour ago, Rudiger said:

From what I can tell, the biggest problem is that you have an idea and that's it. No team, no plan, no nothing.

You don't need a pitch deck. You need a plan. And if you're going to be successful, at a minimum you need to (1) have enough savvy to develop the plan yourself or (2) assemble a team that will help you successfully plan and implement it.

Good ideas are a dime a dozen. I'll give you some: fully self-driving cars; a cure for cancer; interstellar space travel. All great ideas that are worthless without a path to make them reality.

My ex wife “invented” streaming services and on demand TV. She’s still waiting on the dividend/royalty check. 

13 hours ago, Rudiger said:

i'm writing the "idea" but a traditional "growth" "plan" is impossible for something this big

think about launching an airline.....

1971.... 3 planes, 12 pilots, 36 stews and 100 ground staff all signing up for minimum wage with basically no investment capital other than the planes - everything else was funded by revenue - and southtwest had to sell 1 of their first 3 732s in 1972 to frontier to make payroll ......

1999..... jetblue launched with 2 A320s in February 2000 with $130m in investment capital from soros and goldman

southwest is the 20th century model of PE/VC "widget factory" "prove yourself" vc/pe.....  and it still works and a lot of startups go this route

but you can't build a military-grade "weapons system" with friends-and-family seed capital

good ideas are a dimedozen because they are only "good"

revolutionary, paradigm-shifts are rare and "unexpected"

the original google search algorithm is simple and genius: write the metadata that spells out and then auto-suggests all possible combinations of letters and numbers *THAT YOU ALREADY KNOW ABOUT* following the letter or number just typed; learning which strings to propose most often is then simply a learning experience from your entire user constellation, i.e., all humans online around the planet

schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

flash forward to AI:

The world’s best artificial intelligence (AI) systems can pass tough exams, write convincingly human essays and chat so fluently that many find their output indistinguishable from people’s. What can’t they do? Solve simple visual logic puzzles.

In a test consisting of a series of brightly coloured blocks arranged on a screen, most people can spot the connecting patterns. But GPT-4, the most advanced version of the AI system behind the chatbot ChatGPT and the search engine Bing, gets barely one-third of the puzzles right in one category of patterns and as little as 3% correct in another, according to a report by researchers this May1.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02361-7?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Someone has to teach the AI.   It needs the auto-suggestion.  In other words, it needs metadata to learn from and predict against.  It's can't do pattern prediction on it's own.

.... tbc ....

To follow on to other posts, you just need to start working on the idea and turning it into reality with others. No VC or angel will give you a dime until you’ve got something to show, unless you’ve had successful exits with them in the past. Forget a pitch deck. It’s too early. Go get customers. 

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

To follow on to other posts, you just need to start working on the idea and turning it into reality with others. No VC or angel will give you a dime until you’ve got something to show, unless you’ve had successful exits with them in the past. Forget a pitch deck. It’s too early. Go get customers. 

Getting customers is impossible for something that doesn't exist and is going to cost $20m to build a working prototype.   The animatic represenation of functionality is going to require at least $1m maybe more.

11 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Getting customers is impossible for something that doesn't exist and is going to cost $20m to build a working prototype.   The animatic represenation of functionality is going to require at least $1m maybe more.

Build an MVP. If that's also impossible because you need $1mm to build something functional, then my advice is: 

1) Go and get a credible team that has bona fides. This will be very difficult if not impossible since you are a "nobody", meaning not a known/successful entrepreneur with skins on the wall and not a thought leader in your space. If you are the Chief Digital Weapons Expert at Lockheed Martin, then I retract the last part. You need people who will be trusted without being able to show a working concept.

2) If this thing is B2B, start leveraging your aforementioned amazing team you've built and start flexing on their network to get meetings and built interest and groundswell. Get strategic advisors who could be first customers, work to get an LOI, etc. this will show traction. If B2C (and I'm struggling to see how it would be based on the vague things you've said about it) build out a simple landing page or website and some social media accounts and start messaging and advertising and organic content to get a pre-launch list going of prospective buyers to showcase (e.g. we have 50,000 people signed up for when this gets launched, estimating 70% will be buyers, etc.)

You have to show some traction.

So I hope you have your own money to put into it at first.

On 7/31/2023 at 9:31 AM, BeardIP said:

Build an MVP. If that's also impossible because you need $1mm to build something functional, then my advice is: 

1) Go and get a credible team that has bona fides. This will be very difficult if not impossible since you are a "nobody", meaning not a known/successful entrepreneur with skins on the wall and not a thought leader in your space. If you are the Chief Digital Weapons Expert at Lockheed Martin, then I retract the last part. You need people who will be trusted without being able to show a working concept.

2) If this thing is B2B, start leveraging your aforementioned amazing team you've built and start flexing on their network to get meetings and built interest and groundswell. Get strategic advisors who could be first customers, work to get an LOI, etc. this will show traction. If B2C (and I'm struggling to see how it would be based on the vague things you've said about it) build out a simple landing page or website and some social media accounts and start messaging and advertising and organic content to get a pre-launch list going of prospective buyers to showcase (e.g. we have 50,000 people signed up for when this gets launched, estimating 70% will be buyers, etc.)

You have to show some traction.

So I hope you have your own money to put into it at first.

I don't have my own money.  An MVP would still cost a bunch.  An Animatic that demonstrates what the functionality would look like/deliver is possible for much less.

Speaking of Chief Digital Weapons Expert at LMT, i'm thinking I just pitch IQT and shorten the mean time to failure.

• 2 months later...