New Mexico Recommendations.

Royalfan5

Been kicking around taking the wife to New Mexico for a trip. Watching Oppenheimer greatly encouraged that idea. Would probably shoot for the ABQ/Santa Fe/etc. area. Would probably spend 3 days or so there. Would probably drive down through Colorado instead of through KS/OK/Texas Panhandle. Anything a person would want to see or eat for sure. Would probably be going in mid-October. 

Taos is great but Taos is sleepy.  My opinion.  Santa Fe > Taos.  I would definitely stop in Taos, though.  On the way to SF from Taos stop by Vivac for a class of wine in Dixon.  I don't know if rafting tours will be going on then but there are rafting outfitters in Dixon, as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m actually in Angel Fire right now.  Was in Santa Fe Thursday through Sunday. Tons of food recs in Santa Fe.  We did Tomasitos Thursday and the Cowgirl Friday (they also had a great band on the patio which was a plus). If you’ve never been you have to go to the Shed.  I’ve also spent a ton of time in Taos and it’s worth a day trip but not worth an overnight except in ski season. Orlando’s is the best place in Taos for NM Mexican food.  There’s also a cool local brewery with an outpost in town.  And if you golf the Taos course is legit with great views of Wheeler. Since you saw Oppenheimer go to Los Alamos and check out the museums.  And Bandelier is close by.  And Madrid is always worth a stop

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

Been kicking around taking the wife to New Mexico for a trip. Watching Oppenheimer greatly encouraged that idea. Would probably shoot for the ABQ/Santa Fe/etc. area. Would probably spend 3 days or so there. Would probably drive down through Colorado instead of through KS/OK/Texas Panhandle. Anything a person would want to see or eat for sure. Would probably be going in mid-October. 

where do you live again?  hatch season starts in about a week.  always fun to go by there when they've got fresh and roasted peppers all over the roadside stands, but that sounds too far south for you.   bandelier and chaco are badass, but if you only have 3 days, i'd just do albuquerque one day, and santa fe two.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, thrillhammer said:

where do you live again?  hatch season starts in about a week.  always fun to go by there when they've got fresh and roasted peppers all over the roadside stands, but that sounds too far south for you.   bandelier and chaco are badass, but if you only have 3 days, i'd just do albuquerque one day, and santa fe two.

I live in Lincoln, NE. It's about 11 hour drive. Probably could do it for that except the wife is starting a new job, so we are probably just going to run out to Laramie for a weekend. 

On 7/25/2023 at 7:17 PM, Gil Bang said:

always go with green chiles over red

I will say that the red chile in the south around Las Cruces/Mesilla Valley is different and better than the red chile as you go farther north in the state.

I lived in Las Cruces back in the 90s (worked at WSMR) and made several trips north.  I found it weird that the red was different but the green didn't seem to be.

That said, if you're in Las Cruces, go to Nopalitos.  And head to La Mesa and eat at Chope's.

Old Mesilla is kinda interesting but skip La Posta.  It's gringo tourista food that's living off the reputation of a Life Magazine article written in the 70s...

• Hook 'Em 1