Great Smoky Mountains

CleverNickname

Any advice? For summer '24. Loading the family truckster and hitting the road.

We've done a lot of road trips, but we haven't gone to GSMNP. Tentatively thinking 2 day ls driving from Austin to Gatlinbilurg or Pigeon Forge. Long days but not 12 hours on the road. Any cool pitstops? When the kids were little they did the Arky diamond mine. Not sure I'd youngins give a dam about Memphis or blues or Elvis. 

Might do 3 days on the west side and then 2 nights in Brevard or Bryson City to cover NC side. Focus on reasonable length day hikes and occasional dips in swimming holes. I like old ghost towns and such, my kids are sort of meh. Usually wake fairly early to do trails in the cooler morning, with swimming or scenic drives in the afternoon. 

Might swing by southern route on the way back for a day at Gulf Shore or similar beach.

The mountains in the area are gorgeous, but Gatlinburg proper is a tourist trap (that is, unless you are a fan of the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum and Bubba Gump's). I very much prefer the Bryson City side of the park.  Tons of outdoor activities at the Nantahala Outdoor Center, world-class mountain biking at Tsali, boating on Lake Fontana, tubing on Deep Creek.  The Appalachian Trail crosses through the NOC campus, and a section hike one day would be a really neat experience. Also, I highly suggest you head a few miles south for a day and take a rafting trip on the Ocoee.

• Hook 'Em 2

We went with the family during Covid. As the previous poster said, Pigeon Forge and Gaitlinberg are the worst kind of tourist traps. Just trash people, we saw mulitiple people vomit in the street at like 1 pm on a Thursday when we were there going  to Ober park, I think it as called. Park was wahtevs. 

Dollywood, however, I would definitely reccomend worth a day. Cleanest park I've been to this side of Disney, decent rides, decent food, it's very well organized if you have younger kids and older kids, always a mix of rides for either nearby. That's worth a day. 

Cades cove was worth a few hours drive, less if you go early. We saw mulitple bears, and the old chruches are pretty cool. Some days it's cyclists only in the morning. And the drive to the valley itself is tremendous. Definitely worth a trip, one of the most beautiful places in America, for sure. I'd just avoid like, all of the people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I can answer any questions you might have.  I lived up there for 20 years.

1. Don't plan on driving into the park/Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge Friday (all day) or Saturday (early).  Traffic is a bitch.  Conversely, leaving these areas on Sat night or any time Sunday can be just as bad.

2.  Yes, at times, it may look like a giant, open-air Wal Mart, but most are extremely nice.  

3. As bad as traffic is, parking is worse.  Plan on either staying in a hotel close enough so that you won't need a car OR a cabin.  If the latter, just leave really early in the morning to get a parking spot.

I really loved the area and miss it - especially during the fall.  Have fun and add any other questions you might have.  

p.s. The Aquarium is cool.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I took my 13 yo and my two 16 yo nephews this summer for a long weekend. We stayed in a pretty cool cabin up the mountain from Gatlinburg. We had access to a clubhouse with a pool up the road. Saw bears galore. We did a lot of the touristy crap for the lulz as the kids used to say. We went on a couple of hikes. We went whitewater rafting one day. We had a blast. 

PXL_20230623_132053106.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2