Fall of the House of Usher- Netflix

Pato del Muerto

So this limited series just dropped, and i just finished e1. Have to say I like the vibe, and the storytelling ability of the guy playing Roderick Usher.  Also I enjoy looking at Carla gugino, though they’ve got her covered up pretty good thus far. 

can’t say as I really remember the Poe story but as this takes place in 2023 it’s easy to see that this is not that- probably an inspiration.  Anyway, hope it’s an entertaining october watch. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

I enjoyed the first episode but there were times when it seemed like it was dragging on versus getting the actual story started.

Great atmosphere, and I enjoy Bruce Greenwood in everything he does.  I hope they keep it interesting.   

16 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I've enjoyed all the Flanagan October netflix series except last years.  Hopefully this one bounces back.

What was last year's?  The preacher who brought home a vampire?

20 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I enjoyed the first episode but there were times when it seemed like it was dragging on versus getting the actual story started.

Great atmosphere, and I enjoy Bruce Greenwood in everything he does.  I hope they keep it interesting.   

The Midnight Club.  Terminally ill teenagers get together and tell scary stories.  I don't remember if I finished it or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The Midnight Club.  Terminally ill teenagers get together and tell scary stories.  I don't remember if I finished it or not.

A bunch of those kids are in Fall of the House of Usher. I liked Midnight Club enough but it could've been because of 90s nostalgia. It does end on a cliffhanger and they didn't renew it, fyi.

19 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I want to like this, but it's boring me.  Right away you realize we're gonna have to slog through killing off all the kids per episode, with no real clue to why this is happening.  I've finished 5 of them and I'm just bored.

It seems like maybe they made a deal with the devil on nye 1979 and the death of the kids is the payment.  But the story of Rod and his sister is progressing very slowly, as so much of each ep is spent either on a kid story or the present day interaction. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It seems like maybe they made a deal with the devil on nye 1979 and the death of the kids is the payment.  But the story of Rod and his sister is progressing very slowly, as so much of each ep is spent either on a kid story or the present day interaction. 

Yeah, at first it seemed that resurrected mom would be the featured supernatural force, but then Gugino shows up and some kind of Faustian bargain was my first thought, but since then I'm leaning toward she's just there as judgment upon the Usher siblings.  Not sure about anything, though.

I have some thoughts but I don't know how bookfaggy we want to go so I'll spoiler. I'm 4 episodes in and the most useful analysis, IMO, comes from Poe's stories.

Spoiler

Carla Gugino's character is called Verna, which is an anagram for "raven". While Roderick is clearly a character from The Fall of the House of Usher, I think his character incorporates a lot of features from the narrator in The Raven. He's lamenting the loss of someone he loves, and keeps asking the raven, even knowing that the only answer it ever gives is "nevermore". So far, each of the siblings that have died have been visited by Verna in some shape or form, and she's given them a warning that the path they're on is dangerous, but they each choose to ignore her and after doing so, death follows. It's the same warning that ends in the same outcome, each time. My take from the poem was that the raven was more a harbinger than a cause of death, and in this adaptation they are trying to make her both. As for why she's directing everything at the Ushers, it could be the Faustian thing y'all have mentioned, or she could be a physical manifestation of hubris. I also get a Monkey's Paw vibe (even though that's not a Poe story) - be careful what you wish for.

There are other, more obvious ties to his stories but the one above is, I think, the most interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/13/2023 at 11:39 AM, Augustus said:

Are you thinking Midnight Mass? I usually don’t go for horror stuff but it was campy enough to be fun.

21 hours ago, Sleep off ugly said:

Are you thinking Midnight Mass? I usually don’t go for horror stuff but it was campy enough to be fun.

Yeah that's what I was talking about.

A new way to destroy a vampire.  No fire, no beheading, no stake through the heart, just slice up his leathery wings while he feeds on you, so he can't outrun the rising sun.  

Finished last night. I generally liked it, although it's not my favorite Mike Flanagan series. This (very spoilery) article outlines all the Poe references throughout the series if you want to brush up. Some general thoughts.

Spoiler

1. Did anyone else think Frederick (Henry Thomas) seemed gay coded? I can't articulate exactly why he came across like that to me, but I was definitely surprised to see he was married to a woman. I also didn't like HT's acting in this role, although I usually like him in Flanagan stuff.

2. Roderick agreeing to the ending of his bloodline after already having two kids was COLD. Even Madeline looked disturbed.

3. I'm glad they didn't cop out of killing Lenore just because she was the most likable Usher, although it was nice to see Verna tell her all the good her mother would do after her death.

4. Hated Roderick reciting the Annabel Lee poem as if he wrote it. I gave myself a headache from rolling my eyes so hard.

5. Juno's character seemed really random. I kept thinking she would end up as part of some plot twist, like being the informant, but she mostly seemed to be the closest thing the show had to...comic relief?

6. Gucci Caligula would be a great band name.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...