The Cloud Engineering Thread of Dominance

I've taken over our Azure space for my department, but really only utilizing Logic Apps, APIM, and Storage Accounts and Tables. We are moving away from Snowflake and into Databricks which I am pretty excited about.

Need to do more indepth training and eventual certifications, but how much are these really worth for Azure? Also working on getting an Adobe Workfront Fusion Cert this spring too. Need to focus more on being less of a Jack of All Ttrades and Master of nothing having to manage everything with all of the cuts we have made the past 18 months. 

17 hours ago, blacklab said:

Is it a done deal?

We're moving shit off databricks and into clickhouse.  Much cheaper and faster. 

Happy to hear what you're doing and make a recommendation.

Our Data Science Team is moving fully into Databricks and being that in my department we are a team now of only 3 people we are simply letting them take it and run as we dump Snowflake. We won't be using it a ton to start with and mostly just reconnecting a couple of dashboards to the data from there. Future use cases will arise, but will be a couple of months. 

On 12/30/2023 at 4:37 PM, shnsajax said:

I've taken over our Azure space for my department, but really only utilizing Logic Apps, APIM, and Storage Accounts and Tables. We are moving away from Snowflake and into Databricks which I am pretty excited about.

Need to do more indepth training and eventual certifications, but how much are these really worth for Azure? Also working on getting an Adobe Workfront Fusion Cert this spring too. Need to focus more on being less of a Jack of All Ttrades and Master of nothing having to manage everything with all of the cuts we have made the past 18 months. 

Azure/AWS certs are worth the effort.  They challenge you to expand cloud-based technical knowledge.  In my experience, decisions from certified leadership carries more weight when decision-making can be hijacked by office politics.

Can you provide high-level insight (trade-offs) on the decision to move from Snowflake? 

On 12/30/2023 at 11:49 PM, blacklab said:

Is it a done deal?

We're moving shit off databricks and into clickhouse.  Much cheaper and faster. 

Happy to hear what you're doing and make a recommendation.

On 12/30/2023 at 3:37 PM, shnsajax said:

Is Snowflake doomed? Has their moment passed? I know Databricks isn't exactly a direct competitor but there is some overlap and Databricks has been the hyped/shiny toy everyone is bullish on for 18 months+ now (and Snowflakes sales have suffered during that same time).

Is it just the pre-IPO hypecycle stuff? The massive hiring they've done? The actual tech? Curious as an outside observer what is driving their goodwill in the enterprise market, because I understand it's pretty technical for the layman.

Also they are trying to be positioned as an NVIDIA-level winner of the AI bubble that started in late 2022.

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure it’s not getting reported to a service like work number or ones that verify employment. A lot of employers are using those to look for employees doing this

It’s crossed my mind a few times as well but I’m mainly too lazy to

On 5/5/2023 at 8:34 PM, StassneyHorn said:

How many of you are in cloud engineering? I’ve decided to skill up and got Adrian Cantrill’s course to help learn AWS. Currently a Salesforce admin, but looking to possibly transition into a more IaaS- heavy career.

Hi

only just now saw this thread

• Hook 'Em 1

I do some side consulting, but nothing that is taking a ton of time.  I always do it above board, reporting it to my current employer through their systems.  It has never been an issue as long as you are watching out for conflicts of interest.  

Yup.  Azure and GCP feasting on AWS market share.  It was bound to happen. 

I think it will be a race to the bottom---public cloud commoditization.  I see increased number of hybrid cloud projects.  Cloud repatriation for companies burned with high costs due to lack of cloud migration planning, but whatever.  

The work is there and will be with us for a long time.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:30 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Any of you that work remote ever try taking on a 2nd job? Had another opportunity reach out after I spruced up my LinkedIn. Was salesforce related not cloud “Cloud”

I think I posted this on the FIRE retire early thread, but there is a whole movement called "Overemployed" where tech/WFH workers are trying to juggle 2, sometimes 3 and even 4, high salaried positions (to make $500k+/year for a few years) and there are sites on reddit and overemployed.com with strategies and how to successfully do it. 

I don't have that grind and personally find it unethical (I can see the argument for it, however, as well), but I have to admit it's pretty clever and a quick way to 4-5x your retirement plans.

Most know that at some point they will be fired or laid off-- the key is to get junior level jobs or jobs you are over qualified for to supplement your primary job.

https://www.businessinsider.com/overemployed-workers-secret-two-multiple-jobs-salaries-tech-tips-2023-11

10 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Yup.  Azure and GCP feasting on AWS market share.  It was bound to happen. 

I think it will be a race to the bottom---public cloud commoditization.  I see increased number of hybrid cloud projects.  Cloud repatriation for companies burned with high costs due to lack of cloud migration planning, but whatever.  

The work is there and will be with us for a long time.

I’ve noticed ads for positions called Cloud FinOps and it seems entirely like some firms threw their hands in the air after they bought in on the technology but didn’t bother working with auto scaling or storage lifecycle management. Could be wrong/naive about it but it seemed something an “architect” should know.

9 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I think I posted this on the FIRE retire early thread, but there is a whole movement called "Overemployed" where tech/WFH workers are trying to juggle 2, sometimes 3 and even 4, high salaried positions (to make $500k+/year for a few years) and there are sites on reddit and overemployed.com with strategies and how to successfully do it. 

I don't have that grind and personally find it unethical (I can see the argument for it, however, as well), but I have to admit it's pretty clever and a quick way to 4-5x your retirement plans.

Most know that at some point they will be fired or laid off-- the key is to get junior level jobs or jobs you are over qualified for to supplement your primary job.

https://www.businessinsider.com/overemployed-workers-secret-two-multiple-jobs-salaries-tech-tips-2023-11

Yea that’s where I’m at now. My first job out of college in Austin was working for a broker-dealer in Austin and ACH/EFT and all kinds of very easy to understand cashiering/money movement transactions across accounts. Saw a couple positions at fintech firms paying minimum 70k for that shit when I was making 32k and hating every bit of being in the real world. The fact I could supplement my job with this stuff I could do sleeping is an enticing choice.

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I guess in order to get some hot takes, is a place having a Cloud FinOps role, a sign their architecture sucks, and to stay away? 

No, but it's a sign that their governance posture is likely lacking or the org is prioritizing it higher. Most of my finops outcomes that I help my customers achieve are really addressing technical debt that's been outstanding for a LOOOONG time. Stuff like poorly tuned ASG's or "let's just oversize it, the business said it's critical" or an old lift and shift that should be moved to event-driven and serverless. 

By putting a data-driven number behind that opportunity cost of not fixing the tech debt, you can get leaders to give a shit. And then as progress is made, good finops practices will let you claim credit and have the data to PROVE it. My big feather in my cap last year was across the board driving down my customers unit cost of compute by almost 10% just with what amounts to config tuning and smarter replatforming. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/31/2024 at 8:39 PM, StassneyHorn said:

I’ve noticed ads for positions called Cloud FinOps and it seems entirely like some firms threw their hands in the air after they bought in on the technology but didn’t bother working with auto scaling or storage lifecycle management. Could be wrong/naive about it but it seemed something an “architect” should know.

true, an architect should know but it's not that simple.  you have to factor in project deadlines, project team skill levels, technical debt, compliance/legal, data pipelines and potential migrations, multi-cloud dependencies, business ROI and many other things.  throw everything into the mix and you end up with "it depends"-type compromises.  the run-time nature and client traffic for legacy/new solutions will also change your architecture.  lift and shift caused many headaches.  cloud newbs simply migrated on-prem apps to the cloud without full, well-thought out assessments.  there's not enough talent out there to make the hard decisions and accept accountability.  that's why high-level FTE's shift this work to consultants : )

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:47 PM, StassneyHorn said:

I guess in order to get some hot takes, is a place having a Cloud FinOps role, a sign their architecture sucks, and to stay away? 

it might be a sign of their overall architecture.  that's a possibility.  but IMHO, it's a definite sign of over-specialization within their org.  in the "old days", high cost and avoiding unnecessary spend was just something you did.  i mean, part of management was to ensure cost optimization for the business.  with cloud, you have devOps and finOps--which means you spend lots of $$$$ on people terraforming all day with the pseudo bean counter oversight to notify on cost over runs.  i think that's really unnecessary but it makes the business "feel" like they're doing something to address high cloud costs.  and honestly, devops and finops can and will be owned by AI in the next few years.  companies with over-specialization tend to over-hire.  this results in layoffs--and i think we're seeing that process take place right now.