2024 Pro Cycling Season

G650

On 4/5/2024 at 6:55 AM, G650 said:

Sounds like Jonas has collapsed lung as well. Jesus.

This split second may has just cleared the deck for Pog to pull off the Giro Tour double

Lot of tricky Giro mountain passes he has to navigate. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished watching it.  Nice ride by Narváez, especially when Pogačar clearly wanted it.  I can't imagine he can keep it up, but at least it extends the fake suspense another day.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The main group almost fucked up and let the break go today! Movistar had to empty the tank to get them back. Not sure why they did just so Gaviria could get 9th...

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

The main group almost fucked up and let the break go today! Movistar had to empty the tank to get them back. Not sure why they did just so Gaviria could get 9th...

Some head scratcher moments today for sure. After gearing up for true bunch sprint, then seeing the break nearly escape, I was laughing and hoping to see either Pog or G pull off a cheeky win. 

12 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Damn it. What race am I missing a what channel / /streaming service is it on?

The got damn Giro brosef.

It's on Max in the US I believe.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Nice showing by Magnus.  

Indeed, he had a hell of a ride.

UAE is burning all the helpers up early today. Seems ill advised

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Indeed, he had a hell of a ride.

UAE is burning all the helpers up early today. Seems ill advised

That’s especially questionable since Pog is trying for a Giro/Tour double. Seems like they would be trying to avoid burning too many matches. Looks like Bardet just blew up. Surely Pogacar will go soon. 

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Lou Loooooouuuu.... That crazy bastard did it.

Man, Julian Alaphilippe just hammered Mirco Maestri with about 12 kilometers left, didn't he? As soon as I saw Julian go and Maestri toss that water bottle I said "it's over."   Maestri is just too big to stay with Alaphilippe on steep hill like that one.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

11 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Man, Julian Alaphilippe just hammered Mirco Maestri with about 12 kilometers left, didn't he? As soon as I saw Julian go and Maestri toss that water bottle I said "it's over."   Maestri is just too big to stay with Alaphilippe on steep hill like that one.

Maestri was definitely in the "I'm just happy to be here" camp after that one. Awesome to see him go for it

3 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Ganna again on the hot seat in an ITT and asked if he’s optimistic: “With Tadej, it’s impossible.”  No shit. 

I just hope that efforts like today aren't burying Pogocar's chances against Vingo in the tour. Only 10 riders have won the Giro and the Tour, the last being Pantani 26 years ago.  I'd really like to see a Tour that goes down to the wire.

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I just hope that efforts like today aren't burying Pogocar's chances against Vingo in the tour. Only 10 riders have won the Giro and the Tour, the last being Pantani 26 years ago.  I'd really like to see a Tour that goes down to the wire.

He’s been making some big efforts, so he’ll need to moderate that regardless of who ends up being a GC contender at the Tour. I can’t see how Jonas can achieve the fitness and race form to win in July. Even Plugge said they won’t take him to the Tour if he’s not going to compete for the win. They may give Wout the leader role, but I don’t see him beating Pog even if Pog is less than himself because of going for the double. Whatever happens with all of the moving parts regarding the principal players at the Tour, it should be an interesting watch. 

27 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

He’s been making some big efforts, so he’ll need to moderate that regardless of who ends up being a GC contender at the Tour. I can’t see how Jonas can achieve the fitness and race form to win in July. Even Plugge said they won’t take him to the Tour if he’s not going to compete for the win. They may give Wout the leader role, but I don’t see him beating Pog even if Pog is less than himself because of going for the double. Whatever happens with all of the moving parts regarding the principal players at the Tour, it should be an interesting watch. 

Yeah, honestly from an entertainment perspective (definitely not a sporting one), having a tired Pog, and half trained Jonas, Remco and Roglic at the Tour would be epic.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Yeah, honestly from an entertainment perspective (definitely not a sporting one), having a tired Pog, and half trained Jonas, Remco and Roglic at the Tour would be epic.

Yeah, that could be definitely interesting form an entertainment perspective, but I do my best to avoid train wreck tv and internet content, so I’m hoping all of the possible contenders for the Tour show up rested, fit, and in top form. Obvious and ubiquitous pondering of “performance methods” in the pro peloton aside, I’m not interested in watching the Grande Boucle ironically, lol. 

4 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Holy crap ... Tadej put his stamp all over the Queen stage on Sunday. He passed Quintana there at the end and just rode away from him.  He didn't even look like he was breathing hard on that 20% grade. Four stage wins. He doubled his lead in the GC.

The way he dropped the group with G and how quickly he put a minute into them was crazy. And not only an undeniable force of nature and talent on the bike, but also a super likable guy. It’s always been clear through his enthusiasm and sportsmanship, both in defeat and victory, that he just loves to race his bike and compete, leaving it all out on the road. You see his interview after the stage yesterday giving genuine props to Steinhaiser and Quintana and talking about being excited and happy to see how well they were going. It’s cool to see such a dominant athlete who operates with earned confidence and legit respect for his competitors and the sport instead being an asshole fueled by ego and bluster.  What an absolute monster of a bike racer and badass sportsman. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

I have to say, I'm about to tune out at this point. It's become too predictable.

Yep, understandable. I’ll keep it on in the background mainly for the comfort of hearing the sounds of bike racing and commentary while I’m working. Even though the outcome is settled, barring something shitty for Pogi, there’s still some good scenery to come. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Yep, understandable. I’ll keep it on in the background mainly for the comfort of hearing the sounds of bike racing and commentary while I’m working. Even though the outcome is settled, barring something shitty for Pogi, there’s still some good scenery to come. 

100%. That's how I roped my wife in to watching cycling as well. "Honey look at all the beautiful landscapes and castles!!!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Goodness it's got to be a bitch to ride in the rain like this.  What a mess to start the stage!

That was a cringey mess for a grand tour stage. What a clown show from RCS to not be better prepared with bad weather contingency ready to implement. Good on the riders for going to their team buses and cars and skipping the ridiculous parade. The town already had their moment with a stage finish, podium ceremony, and rest day. And yeah, on such a shit day that began in shameful disarray, of course Aliphilippe is one of the primary agitators. 

30 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

That was a cringey mess for a grand tour stage. What a clown show from RCS to not be better prepared with bad weather contingency ready to implement. Good on the riders for going to their team buses and cars and skipping the ridiculous parade. The town already had their moment with a stage finish, podium ceremony, and rest day. And yeah, on such a shit day that began in shameful disarray, of course Aliphilippe is one of the primary agitators. 

Pogo is beyond extraordinary. I'm out of superlatives.

17 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Pogo is beyond extraordinary. I'm out of superlatives.

Pure class. After causally riding away off the front and past a few hopefuls to win the stage, he reports to the race leaders cool down and protocol area. 2nd place finisher Guilio Pellizzari approaches Pogi to congratulate him and ask for his pink glasses as a souvenir. Pogi obliges his request and also strips off the Maglia Rosa right there and presents it to Pellizzari. 

1 hour ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Pure class. After causally riding away off the front and past a few hopefuls to win the stage, he reports to the race leaders cool down and protocol area. 2nd place finisher Guilio Pellizzari approaches Pogi to congratulate him and ask for his pink glasses as a souvenir. Pogi obliges his request and also strips off the Maglia Rosa right there and presents it to Pellizzari. 

He didn't even look like he was trying in the last two kilometers. Total domination.