Pneumonia Vaccine

70, almost never get sick, but have had Covid at least once. Tennis player. No risk factors, (compromised immune sys or smoking, etc) I've never had a flu shot, but...

Just read a forum comment that hospitals are starting to fill up with Central American variants of pneumonia. So I'm considering taking the CPV 15 or CPV 20, along with a flu shot, but...

I read a bit and see that 15/20 are brand new (and preferred over the 13 etc.) so there are no long-term results to look at. Needless to say, don't trust the vax makers, although apparently this is not an mRNA vaccine. I did read something from the CDC, NIH or FDA that said the 15/20 vax changes something in the T-Cell. Not sure I like the sound of that. My T-cells have been working just fine and would have to do something that might have an unforseen impact upon them. Heard the side-effects are minimal and could last a few days.

Does anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

70, almost never get sick, but have had Covid at least once. Tennis player. No risk factors, (compromised immune sys or smoking, etc) I've never had a flu shot, but...
Just read a forum comment that hospitals are starting to fill up with Central American variants of pneumonia. So I'm considering taking the CPV 15 or CPV 20, along with a flu shot, but...
I read a bit and see that 15/20 are brand new (and preferred over the 13 etc.) so there are no long-term results to look at. Needless to say, don't trust the vax makers, although apparently this is not an mRNA vaccine. I did read something from the CDC, NIH or FDA that said the 15/20 vax changes something in the T-Cell. Not sure I like the sound of that. My T-cells have been working just fine and would have to do something that might have an unforseen impact upon them. Heard the side-effects are minimal and could last a few days.
Does anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

Is it administered anally? If not…you should ask if it can be.

Prevnar 20 is not an mRNA vaccine. The older version (Prevnar 13) has been around for awhile but the 15 (Vaxneuvance) is pretty new. I haven't had a single person ask me for the 15. It's either the Prevnar 20 for brand new patients or Pneumovax 23 for those that already got Prevnar 13. Minimal side effects compared to other vaccines and the shot is painless unlike the shingles shot. 

4 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Prevnar 20 is not an mRNA vaccine. The older version (Prevnar 13) has been around for awhile but the 15 (Vaxneuvance) is pretty new. I haven't had a single person ask me for the 15. It's either the Prevnar 20 for brand new patients or Pneumovax 23 for those that already got Prevnar 13. Minimal side effects compared to other vaccines and the shot is painless unlike the shingles shot. 

This is what I was referencing.

I got Shingrex, Prevnar 20 and TDAP around the same time and Prevnar was easily the wimpiest of the 3. If your health is such that pneumonia can be a very serious affliction to catch, I'd take it.

Edited by BeardIP

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the useful feedback. After weighing all the comments: bottom line: I decided to go with the 15.

Okay, now seriously. There are at least a few of you who think that any vaccine recommended by the CDC is A-OK. That if there was a problem with a new vaccine taken by millions, we'd know about it after a year or so. I mean how could there be a problem with the Prevnar 20 since it seems there were no problems with the P-13?

One of Google's first site recommendations was very pro-vaccine (https://www.goodrx.com/prevnar-20/comparing-prevnar-20-with-pneumonia-vaccines). It discusses side effects which can be severe. Even when mild, they didn't sound like something I, in perfect health, want to spend a weekend with. It also says this:

"Serious side effects are rarely seen with Prevnar 13. Lower respiratory infection, gastroenteritis (stomach infection), and pneumonia are the most common ones. But they occurred in 1% or less of children who received Prevnar 13"

Hey only one out of a hundred or so see these serious side effects - at least in children, it doesn't even mention adults. But I'm not so sure I like those odds in light of the testing organizations' checkered pasts regarding such studies.

In talking health with a sixty year-old business associate last week, he told me that he was recently diagnosed with a rare blood disorder. An ex amateur athlete, it took doctors a while to figure out why he had an enlarged heart, and when they inserted something in it, he developed a blood clot. So now he's taking several medicines to thin his blood and he's not too happy with the results. And I'm guessing he'll NEVER be able to stop taking them. Of course, he took the Covid Vaccine (yes, I know, an mRNA vax).

It's been my experience that even the most popular prescription medications have minor side effects which make you feel just a little off kilter. How do multiple drugs interact in any given person? I think it's just a roll of the dice. The new Prev 20 has been out about a year or so, I guess. I think I'll roll my own dice, try to avoid compromising situations, and give the jury another year for a verdict on it.

Thanks for all the input. Will probably end up taking it next year. Depends on how sick I get this year. Looking forward to this year's new variation of Covid, one of which will come around every year for the rest of our lives. No post on health would be complete without thanking the NIH and Wuhan for their contributions.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

*not a doctor*

I've gotten the pneumonia vaccine. I've had pneumonia and it messed up my lungs ever after. And that was when I was a young adult. If I was 70, you bet I would get the vaccine because spending a week in the hospital having them perform chest percussion is not something I'd care to revisit.

• Hook 'Em 1

I got the pneumonia vaccine when the VA offered. No ill effects. I'm cross vaxed for Covid but need the new booster. With all the shit they shot me up with in the service, ain't skeered of getting stuck.