someone explain to me how Judas Priest is possible

Rimbo

typical big band does one of two things:

1. Gets big, gets wasted, breaks up; two decades later, cash in on nostalgia playing the old hits for middle aged crowds

2. Gets big, continues making new music, slows down and kinda mails it in

but fuckin Priest, man

They were well past the curve when they dropped Painkiller.

I swear Firepower was the best album they'd made up until that point.

And Invincible Shield just dropped last month and might be even better

How do these old fucks do it

Halford can still hit the extreme high notes. HOW

They just keep getting better with age like no other bands I can think of

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Keeping Rob, Ian and Glenn together at this point is an achievement.  KK seems the main missing ingredient.

Well, Glenn is just contributing in the studio, now. Parkinson's iirc.

But... yeah. They just get better with age. Faster, louder... better.

19 minutes ago, MaxHorn said:

“Firepower” is my five year old son’s favorite album. I am raising him right so far!

Check out the new one. I think it might be even better.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Check out the new one. I think it might be even better.

Oh, we are playing it constantly. Will definitely be taking him to see Priest this year if they come anywhere near Texas (he’s autistic and airplanes are still a no-no for him unfortunately). We are going to Maiden in November as well. He also worships The Beatles, so it’s not just metal for the little guy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Hmmm... I have to admit, I had all of their albums up to and including Turbo at one time.  Haven't really even bothered listening to anything beyond that.  May have to circle around on this.

I became a fan when a friend of mine and I were driving around - possible under some influences - and we were listening to 'Unleashed in the East'.  'Victim of Changes' comes on, Halford does what Halford does and I became a fan instantly.

15 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Hmmm... I have to admit, I had all of their albums up to and including Turbo at one time.  Haven't really even bothered listening to anything beyond that.  May have to circle around on this.

I became a fan when a friend of mine and I were driving around - possible under some influences - and we were listening to 'Unleashed in the East'.  'Victim of Changes' comes on, Halford does what Halford does and I became a fan instantly.

... you kidding? You never even made it to Painkiller? Oh my brother in Christ, you need to hop aboard the post-Turbo train (it's ok if you skip the Tim Owens stuff; nobody will judge you). You are about to have your mind blown. Bands this old just do not rock this hard

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

... you kidding? You never even made it to Painkiller? Oh my brother in Christ, you need to hop aboard the post-Turbo train (it's ok if you skip the Tim Owens stuff; nobody will judge you). You are about to have your mind blown. Bands this old just do not rock this hard

Nope, never made it to Painkiller.  I think I started getting more into SRV and ZZ Top, etc... soon after Turbo came out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Nope, never made it to Painkiller.  I think I started getting more into SRV and ZZ Top, etc... soon after Turbo came out. 

I mean, I get that. I didn't even get into Priest until a decade or two ago. Been playing catch-up ever since.

I've only seen Judas Priest once, at Superjam 1980 in Busch Stadium.  Here's a concert review.  I don't agree with the conclusions, as Sammy Hagar was laughably bad and the Priest was pretty damn good, but opinions, assholes, etc.  It was hot as fuck, though.  I got royally sunburned.

image.png.97bd1b40a53e956c74fe90823be4428b.png

• Hook 'Em 1