Sam Altman: Genius Good Guy or Elon-esque Bad Guy?

BeardIP

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

As soon as I get a compelling reason to conclude that we're not on a shitboat captained by shitheels heading to Shittown floating on a river of liquid shit, I'll be HAPPY to do so.

Shitsville or Shitsburg, please. Hell, I'll even accept Schitt's Creek. But, please, Shittown needs to be shut down.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

There's a lot on the line regarding whether or not this company makes it. All those dildos walking around all day with earbuds in talking obnoxiously loud could really use this to accessorize their look and finally attain certified self-important douchebag status. 

What about people walking through crowds, with their earbuds in talking obnoxiously loud  and saying things like

• "if you're going to whack a rival, don't kill him in front of his family because that's in bad taste and I'm not going to support it and neither are the other bosses"
  • "No, I don't have the target in sight, you say he has the item in a backpack with a water bottle in the side pocket? What's the radius on that thing again if we find him? Do we need to clear the entire block or just get people across the street before it happens?"
  • "Look, I respect the fact that you are a doctor and by all accounts a fine surgeon, but if you are unable to do the penis reduction surgery, my wife and girlfriends are going to leave me because they are tired of having to use crutches the next day" 
  • "I make $10 million a year from filming my kid doing toy unboxing videos on YouTube, and another $5 million a year filming my wife for OnlyFans, so if you can think of another revenue stream that is as easy as spending a few hours a week filming my kid or my wife, I'm all ears."
  • "Look, I told Biden that Putin just likes to make empty threats to appease his people - I know he said he was going to drop a nuke on <insert whatever city you happen to be in> but I wouldn't be here if I thought he was serious.  Tell Joe that I'm in <insert whatever city you happen to be in> right fucking now.  I'm not worried about Putin."
  • "No, don't break his legs - we need him able to start in September against the Cowboys.  Break his wife's legs instead.  He'll get the picture."

20 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Like Peterson's books, Haidt's books offer a decent amount of (extremely obvious) good advice and "common sense" arguments with a veneer of intellectualism. But he rarely supports his arguments with actual data, where he does he often portrays the data selectively and dishonestly, and it's all part of an attempt to appeal to a conservative audience by offering arguments in support of the status quo.  This isn't a commentary on some of his arguments about the harm of safetyism or social media.  But the substantive parallels to Jordan Peterson (or at least the Jordan Peterson that existed before he seriously damaged his brain and destroyed any filter between his thoughts and his public speech) are pretty clear once you know the pattern.  Be wary of intellectuals who get rich selling appealing ideas.  

I would counter this with:

I'm not really sure the answers are “common sense” given how many kids we are letting running around with phones & social media. I think his solutions put forth in The Anxious Generation seem easy, yet many aren’t doing it.

He certainly is using data, and open to discussion about what his data says and doesn’t say. I mean sure there is massaging data (lies, damn lies and statistics). But he puts it out for debate (data available here: https://www.anxiousgeneration.com/)

I really can’t gauge his politics. I can say that the guy appears to be open to letting both sides speak. Letting people be challenged and forming opinions based on that, the stuff that people used to do before people thought “micro-aggressions will not be tolerated.” 

As a whole the guy isn’t spouting garbage like Peterson. He seems to want to solve problems that we have all recognized as an issue. So I’m ok with him, for now. 

On 5/23/2024 at 4:40 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Shitsville or Shitsburg, please. Hell, I'll even accept Schitt's Creek. But, please, Shittown needs to be shut down.

Gotta live, gotta live, gotta live

In Shit Towne

In Our Town

In Shit Towne

5 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Do any of these people have any credible published research in this field?

There are two members with expertise and the rest are CEOs or policy think tank types.