Dallas GM Mechanic (independent)

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Anyone have a referral for a GM mechanic for an overheating 2011 Cadillac with 80k miles? 

Not familiar with DFW,   but a radiator shop or car care center can pressure test.    Just check their rep on Yelp,  Google, etc.  If it is a major issue,  may be best to seek more qualified mechanic.

Also,   cooling system probably needs to be flushed if  not recent.

Edited by torre

Flush is probably recommended at 100k. I’d check the radiator cap, it’s probably just on the reservoir. Might grab the water pump and see if you can move the pulley side to side. Bearing might be going out.

Check the fan. Is it just getting hot at low speeds or idle?
Be careful with flushing as the sediment that is created over the years plugs small leaks in the cooling system. Seen many a time folks flush their cooling system to have a heater core start leaking. If you do decide to fly make sure distilled water is used.

Any change in color of the antifreeze?

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Flush is probably recommended at 100k. I’d check the radiator cap, it’s probably just on the reservoir. Might grab the water pump and see if you can move the pulley side to side. Bearing might be going out.

Check the fan. Is it just getting hot at low speeds or idle?

Earlier this week, I noticed the electric fan running when I shut the engine off.  That's odd for this car and it hasn't been that hot.

Earlier on this drive, I noticed the temp gage bumping above 220 momentarily. Google Maps left me on the toll road in slow traffic with no exits and I looked down and the temp was way high.  I turned off the AC, turned on the heat full blast, temp dropped rapidly but it went to "ENGINE REDUCED POWER" and I made it home.  Haven't looked at it since.

Could be something simple like coolant flush, or possibly even low coolant, but that fan misbehavior? bothers me.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Earlier this week, I noticed the electric fan running when I shut the engine off.  That's odd for this car and it hasn't been that hot.

Earlier on this drive, I noticed the temp gage bumping above 220 momentarily. Google Maps left me on the toll road in slow traffic with no exits and I looked down and the temp was way high.  I turned off the AC, turned on the heat full blast, temp dropped rapidly but it went to "ENGINE REDUCED POWER" and I made it home.  Haven't looked at it since.

Could be something simple like coolant flush, or possibly even low coolant, but that fan misbehavior? bothers me.

Elaborating.  The small bumps above 220 were on a CR after being on the highway, so slow after fast.  Then the big meltdown was several miles at 20 or under (thanks a lot google).  So I am kind of leaning toward electric fan.  Are they just thermostat controlled anymore or have some kind of ethernet/wifi connection to Skynet these days.  I don't relish mucking around in the tiny engine compartment either.

The electric fan could have constant power when the temp gets past a certain point. I’m not sure though.

@TwiceHorn  I have a mobile mechanic who is the shit and very reasonable.  If he buys the parts for you, he'll transfer his cost to you.  I usually buy my stuff off RockAuto before he comes out and he has no problem with it.  If anything sucks about him, it's that he can be tardy if you schedule late appointments.  I usually go for the early morning on the days I work from home.

ae82ffac34a3fa7bc62bea9f56b20842.jpg

Edited by Spur08
  • Like 1