The enemy of the people (fake news)

Goredho

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/13/us/politics/state-department-curtains.html

Editors’ Note: September 14, 2018

An earlier version of this article and headline created an unfair impression about who was responsible for the purchase in question. While Nikki R. Haley is the current ambassador to the United Nations, the decision on leasing the ambassador’s residence and purchasing the curtains was made during the Obama administration, according to current and former officials. The article should not have focused on Ms. Haley, nor should a picture of her have been used. The article and headline have now been edited to reflect those concerns, and the picture has been removed.

It took one day to amend the story and they got pounded for the inaccuracy. As well they should, since that is what keeps them honest. You know they have to hate getting things wrong in this climate of "gotcha".  I had to wade through more stories from other sources about their retraction to find their article and editor's note.

As for Cooper, he was standing off the road to show how deep the water gets just a few feet from the roadside to illustrate the point about the danger of driving on a roadway with water. If you can't see the road and leave it, you might end up in deep water...with water moccasins since one swam near him. I'd have shot out of that water pretty damn quick. But why you consider it "staged" is interesting. All those guys that report from storms get into high winds and get pummeled to "stage" the power of the storm. He stood in water for dramatic effect but I wouldn't call it staged since those were the actual conditions of the area he was in.

This was a good thread until y'all started yelling at each other. There is a lot of good info and take aways to consider. For instance, I know the Palmer report because I found it on twitter. I would read his articles and I think I even followed him for a time. But he was a complete hack and his articles were way too biased. There really wasn't any true substance. So I unfollowed and muted him because his stuff isn't worth reading. The chart shows that I got that right.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DougO said:

malpractice

noun

mal·prac·tice | \ ˌmal-ˈprak-təs \

Definition of malpractice 

1 : a dereliction of professional duty or a failure to exercise an ordinary degree of professional skill or learning by one (such as a physician) rendering professional services which results in injury, loss, or damage

2 : an injurious, negligent, or improper practice : malfeasance

Wait, you read the definition you posted and you're standing by your claim that this was malpractice? 

18 hours ago, DougO said:

You're the one dishonestly diverting from the fact that Cooper deceptively staged a video for news, which is fact. There is no denying that by anyone with an honest bone in his body. That's type of thing is what this thread is about, and you are defending dishonesty. How ironic that you should call me a liar, but what a shock there. You're trying to pull the same dishonest bullshit that snopes did, by re-framing something in a context you think can twist. I don't give a rat's ass about Cooper's pissing match with somebody else, and I did not comment about that video. I commented about the meme that you were trying to bring back from another thread when you started insulting me there without even a discussion.

It's easy to see what your stupid game is. You aren't the least bit interested in fact. You're just "one of those guys." I know them well. Nothing unique about it.

Get a life and stop being such a drama queen.

Thank goodness Anderson Cooper has graduated from staging deceptive video to using valuable network time engaging in personal flame wars over fecebook memes. He should be a lock for a Pulitzer.

Anderson Cooper was deceptive in that video? You still haven't watched it. That's obvious to anyone who has. You have blinders on. Your mind is closed. 

If you were James T. Kirk you would've killed the Horta. 

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Anderson Cooper was deceptive in that video? You still haven't watched it. That's obvious to anyone who has. You have blinders on. Your mind is closed. 

If you were James T. Kirk you would've killed the Horta. 

Nobody puts Horta in the corner..... wait....

So I got to say, I've liked this thread because we actually have people of differing opinions engaging each other.  I don't care if the discussion gets heated.  Too many times we all get segregated into threads where we are just preaching to the choir.  Not that anyone's mind really gets changed or anything.  But whats the fucking point of just everyone nodding their heads together?

So back to the topic at hand.  Another thing that is at work, people that take their news from far right or far left sources are completely unaware of their bias.  They feel the extreme right or left information they are consuming is "real".  Thus, almost all other information and sources would fall away from their position near the pole, seem slanted, biased and 'fake'.  These people are more alike than different -- zealots who view that their position is right and the vast majority of others that align away from their position at a pole as wrong.

The big difference right now is that only one of those groups is in complete control of the federal government.

Edited by Goredho

Here's how I think we can fix this 'fake news' epidemic.

I consider the press to be a integral part of our representative democracy. They are an institution protected by the Constitution. However, over time I think this power has been distilled down and has been stripped of a lot its meaning because there don't seem to be professional standards applied universally. Some news outlets adhere to strict standards and their journalistic integrity is paramount. But then there's outlets like Breitbart and Occupy Democrats. I believe we as Americans need to hold the Press (and I capitalize that on purpose, like our esteemed prez) to a higher standard professionally. We need to demand that ACTUAL professionals are wearing the Press badge. I think a minimum education requirement and licensing are necessary. So the way I see it, there is Press and there is Media. If you are Press, you should be required to maintain a license, get continuing education, do community service, etc. If you get caught lying too often, your Press credentials should be revoked and you are relegated to Media status. 

All of this is to say I think we need a stricter classification and higher professional standards for the Press. The rest of the poo-flinging monkeys can spout their nonsense and try to call it news, but we'll know who is Press and who is Media.