Liverpool 2017-18: We won it 5 times

longhorndude

Just now, Jograves said:

They say anything about the penalty on the post match? I thought the ref got a little caught up in the moment. 

"His hand was in an unnatural position"

"He had plenty of time to move it"

"Made himself big"

I've seen those handballs NOT get called more than they get called.

It sucks for a number of reasons as it also might keep him off England's WC roster. The guy has been such a solid piece. We did fine without him but he would be incredible to have if we go on to play Bayern/Real Madrid.

So all systems go for Chelsea or go B team and concede the points to them?

We play Stoke first and I think there's enough time between today, Saturday and the semi on Wednesday to go full strength for all three. If we beat Stoke, that nearly sews up 4th. 

Then we can get creative with the lineup for Chelsea.

Edited by Jograves

We now have a midfield crisis. Down to our last 3 for the run in. Pray to Fowler they all stay healthy.

The two goals by Roma hurt because it forces us to go with a full strength squad next week after Stoke and before Chelsea. A 5 goal lead would've allowed us to sit guys in Rome in prep for Chelsea. Now it'll be full strength in all 3. Legs could be heavy.

What's the latest word on Lallana and Can? I thought I heard they were done for the season and then I heard maybe not. Chelsea is 11 days away. I know Lallana was in South Africa for treatment. Would be great if one or both could somehow make it back for Chelsea or even Brighton. 

The key is to beat Stoke. We need 4 points from Stoke, at Chelsea and Brighton. That should be a piece of cake. Although, beating West Brom with a 2 goal lead should've been cake too. 

Also, Roma's squad is as thin as ours and they've played more games in recent weeks than we have. I'd be more worried about their legs, if I were a Roma fan. 

Doubt either of these happen, but 1.) play Clyne at RB and Trent in midfield or 2.) recall Grujic.

Is the latter even a possibility? Obviously our CL midfield is Hendo/Milner/Gini but for Stoke I wouldn't mind getting creative. Stoke is absolute shit – Grujic could do a job there.

Pretty devastating for Ox. Put together easily his best season as a professional and will almost certainly miss out on the World Cup. (I haven't seen any update but that looked like an ACL.)

Good news.  We're up 5-2 going into the away leg.

I get the consternation, but the last time a team came back in the CL/European Cup semis down 3-0 was in 1986 when Barcelona did it.  The last time anyone scored five goals was in '95 when Ajax beat Bayern 5-2 in the second leg.

IMO, Roma coming back on Barca only a couple of weeks ago only helps Klopp keep the boys focused.  If that doesn't happen, the danger is the same and no doubt the team is confident and 1986 might as well be 1956 to them.  Most of them probably watched that game a couple weeks back.  I have little doubt that we won't be focused.

Also good, we only have a a max of five games left.  As much rest as we could ask for between now and Saturday and more importantly then and Wednesday.  Fitness through those two games should be fine.  

Hoping for Ox, but it doesn't seem good.  The bigger downer right now is Sean Cox, the Liverpool supporter from Ireland attacked by the Roma fans.  Makes me scared for what might happen there next week and our fans reaction to it.  

6 hours ago, pied said:

...IMO, Roma coming back on Barca only a couple of weeks ago only helps Klopp keep the boys focused.  If that doesn't happen, the danger is the same and no doubt the team is confident and 1986 might as well be 1956 to them.  Most of them probably watched that game a couple weeks back.  I have little doubt that we won't be focused.

These guys know what's up and are paying attention.

TAA - “Barcelona were three goals up after the home tie (in the quarter-final against Roma) and you cannot count your opponent out, especially when we have seen ourselves they can do special things at their place – we’ll have that in the back of our mind.

“But we’ll just focus on ourselves knowing maybe scoring a couple of goals there will finish the game off.”

8 hours ago, pied said:

IMO, Roma coming back on Barca only a couple of weeks ago only helps Klopp keep the boys focused.  If that doesn't happen, the danger is the same and no doubt the team is confident and 1986 might as well be 1956 to them.  Most of them probably watched that game a couple weeks back.  I have little doubt that we won't be focused.

Reminds me of last year when Paris won 4-0 at home and Barcelona came back. The next series, Juventus when up 3-0 on Barcelona and Juventus learned to not let Barcelona do it again. 

Edited by JNip

1 hour ago, DeadSalamander said:

Wow.  Apparently Stevie G is 1/2 favorite for the Manager job at Glasgow Rangers.

Heard that this morning. Would be a good test for him. He needs to get away from Liverpool and have some success before he comes back and Manages us to more European Cups.

6 hours ago, Jograves said:

Not sure I agree with that. Why wouldn't you want him learning under Klopp for as long as he's managing the club?

I see merit in both. Cutting your teeth at a lower level with less pressure isn't a bad thing. He's going to make mistakes and it's better for him and everyone if he makes them and learns away from a club like Liverpool as your first job.

53 minutes ago, DeadSalamander said:

Does anyone on hear subscribe to Redmen TV?  Their podcasts and their free "story of the match" videos crack me up.  Wondering if the stuff behind the pay wall is worth a few bucks a month.

I watch them on YouTube for the post match yelling and screaming fans. Good stuff.