TV hunting

Check out reviews/recommendations at www.rtings.com and www.avsforum.com

In that price range (or a bit over) I'd say that the Sony x900F is very popular, but the 65" will be above your budget. The 55" is right about $1200 now, probably will be some good Black Friday sales. I'd also suggest you consider the Samsung NU8000, which is a bit cheaper than the Sony. You can find that in a 65" size for around $1200.

TCL and Vizio make some popular models with a strong feature set at lower prices, but IMHO also prone to more issues.

You didn't ask about viewing angles, which may change the situation.  All of the above are VA-based LCD's which will tend to wash out some if you are watching from a position of more than 20-30 degrees off center.  IPS models have slightly wider viewing angles but then you get different issues with the picture quality.

(Note that I don't own any of these, I'm sticking with an old Panasonic plasma until it breaks or until OLED tech gets cheaper.)

we're about to get into holiday season so it's a good time to start looking.

read reviews here: https://www.rtings.com/

figure out a few sets you want, then head over to slickdeals and set up alerts for those model numbers.  set the alert type to instant, change the rating to any, and download their app so you get the notification on your phone. 

• 5 months later...

I'm looking for a 50-60" TV to put in a vacation rental.  This is not a top of the line upscale rental.  We're going to have some shit heads.  So i want to put something in under $400.  TCL best option here?  What is the big difference between the 4, 5, and 6 series on TCl?

11 minutes ago, LoneStarBiker said:

Be careful with Sharp "smart" TVs.  We got one a couple months ago that was discounted heavily only to find out that you could not add certain apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.) to it that we used often.  So we took it back and got one that those apps would work on. 

https://slickdeals.net/f/12967126-tcl-49-4k-uhd-hdr-roku-smart-tv-49s405-in-store-clearance-yrmv-185?v=1&src=SiteSearch

• 2 years later...