Lafayette, LA

Sbbruin

On 10/31/2018 at 5:57 AM, EE2B said:

Depending on timing, you may be better off flying into Houston and driving. I believe it’s only a three hour drive, but it could save you some airport time. It also looks like you can get into Baton Rouge from Dallas, Houston or Atlanta, so I would think you could find something with a shorter connection time.

[deleted - did not see travel was settled]

Lafayette is alright - my favorite part of Louisiana outside of New Orleans. Not that it is saying a whole lot, but still. Hit up Old Tyme Grocery (closed Sundays) for a PoBoy. Campus of UL Lafayette and the adjacent park makes for a nice walk. Downtown is small but there are a decent number of dining/drinking options for a city that size. Wouldn't be my choice for a wedding weekend but if you like the BIL and the rest of the family you'll be traveling with you can make a good timeout of the place. Also, as mentioned, not hard to get to New Orleans.

Edited by gmr548

As I mentioned earlier, I’ve been going to Lafayette since my wife and I started dating 12 or so years ago. Neat little city with lots of good food and not a ton else. Some of what I’ll say has been mentioned above, but I’ll just go ahead and put down all my thoughts anyway. 

Po’boys - Olde Tyme makes  great classic Po’boys. I would definitely recommend fried shrimp or oyster (whynotboth?) for a solid, classic Louisiana poboy. It’s all about the bread. It’s also my favorite in town and we rarely make it to Lafayette without stopping there before we leave. This place is cash only, although I think they have an atm inside. Pop’s Po’boys downtown is also a pretty good option, theirs are a little less of the classic variety and maybe a little more creative. Don’t bother unless it’s either of these places. 

As far as lunch goes otherwise, there are several other good spots but if the wedding is there I’ll assume other people will know them. Just make sure you hit one of those two mentioned above. 

Cafe Vermillionville is probably the best restaurant in Lafayette, so if you want a nice dinner I’d check this place out. At our wedding reception there all of the out of towners were impressed. Their turtle soup is one of the top 5 things I’ve ever eaten. Charlie G’s is also a nice spot mainly focused on seafood. If you are with a group maybe try Social table. Kind of a hipster vibe but they make good drinks and it’s generally s fun place for a happy hour. 

This part is really important. IF for some reason you find yourself at Lafonda, hopefully the people from Lafayette that sent you there will have warned you that it is not real Mexican food. It is shit. BUT, their margaritas are God’s nectar and will have you so lit you won’t give a shit. It serves its purpose as a fun place to meet a big group and get drunk, but that’s about it. 

Check out UL’s campus, and while you are there make sure you take your kid to the alligator pond in the middle of campus - it’s not hard to get to and pretty neat to see live gators living in the middle of campus. 

If you want any more info feel free to ask or PM me. Eat well. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...