40 Years Ago Tonight: Earl vs. Miami MNF

MirrOlure

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That final run to ice the game was pure beauty.

Even as a Steelers fan Earl Campbell is among my five favorite running backs of all time.

In no particular order: 1. Tony Dorsett; 2. Bo Jackson; 3. Earl Campbell; 4. Barry Sanders; 5. Curtis Martin

Curtis Martin is probably the most underrated running back of all time.

Earl, Barry, Bo, & Ricky were my favorite four

21 hours ago, Marshall_Lucky said:

Remember watching that as a 12 year old on a 13” b&w tv in my bedroom. Bum rocking the silk disco shirt and working that chaw of Red Man. MNF was an event back then.

Growing up my bedtime was 9:00pm. However on Monday nights I was allowed to stay up late to watch MNF. Also back then you did not have full NFL access so you had to watch halftime to catch up on all of the other games from Sunday.

And yes, Earl is the man.

9 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

no no, see, the TexansTM are focus-group tested, as is the Lone Star Bull LogoTM and the Official ColorsTM of Deep Steel BlueTM, Battle RedTM, and Legally Enforceable Copyright Form WhiteTM

Yea, I guess you're right....

OR

You can't buy something that is not for sale. 

9 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

The Texans ownership need to pay whatever it costs to go back to the Oilers.

They also need the OIlers history and records too.  That Earl & Moon have their numbers retired in Tennessee where they never played a down is an abomination.  All NFL teams should be required to leave those things behind when they relocate.  Can you imagine the Raiders relocating to Las Vegas if they needed to ditch the name, records, and uniforms?

6 hours ago, Underdog said:

I’ll butcher this story but like the one about an Oilers AC complaining to Bum about Earl not doing a drill where he was to run backwards and Bum tells the AC he doesn’t plan to call any plays for Earl to run backwards.  GD shame they never got to kick in that door. 

That reminds me of a reporter asking Bum about Earl getting up so slowly after every tackle.  

"He goes down slow, too."

Edited by Paul Wesley
beaten to the punch

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

Growing up my bedtime was 9:00pm. However on Monday nights I was allowed to stay up late to watch MNF. Also back then you did not have full NFL access so you had to watch halftime to catch up on all of the other games from Sunday.

And yes, Earl is the man.

Half time highlights were IT!! must see TV

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

An ownership group should build a stadium in Zorn halfway between I35 and 130 and resurrect the Texas Oilers.

Zorn seems like a Seahawks joint...

22 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

The highlights in semi-slow motion.  The close-ups of the ball as it spiraled through the air.   Total kid in the backyard calling his name in the PBP. Huge part of my childhood.

Joey Thiesmann to Danny “lightning” Buggs in the highlight right after the Oilers.

Yes, having to wait for the halftime highlights was a big deal. After that I was sent to bed.