Todd Orlando should love the Georgia Matchup

sushihorn

34 minutes ago, Zavala said:

and run hurry up no huddle offense wide open spread the whole game to wear out their defensive line. Show them something they will never face in the SEC. Get the ball out quick and run more RB screens along with the tunnels, slants, bubbles, ect...

Ahhh, yes.  The Auburn offense that we see every season.

You should read their board.  They hate running RB screens, tunnels, bubbles, etc...  they don't work in the SEC (something about defensive speed).  And it is all they've got in the playbook.

I'm looking forward to the game.  Cheers

Edited by meansonny

6 hours ago, Colt Appleyoung said:

We like roasts in Georgia, especially brisket.  Gotta use sauce though , everyone knows a good bbq starts with the sauce.

cmon Chase we got a month to get to know each other, let’s leaving the roasting to the phillies, am I right?

back to football analysis - Chase you really think Texas is going to be able to win in the trenches ?  We fake FgS and Punts ffs, how is UGA conventional?

Hi, Branding Iron!  You virgin.

1 minute ago, meansonny said:

Ahhh, yes.  The Auburn offense that we see every season.

You should read their board.  They hate running RB screens, tunnels, bubbles, etc...  they don't work in the SEC (something about defensive speed).  And it is all they've got in the playbook.

I'm looking forward to the game.  Cheers

That's weird because about 80% of Georgia's passing yards come off short throws that their athletes turn into big plays.

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

That's weird because about 80% of Georgia's passing yards come off short throws that their athletes turn into big plays.

You seem shocked that a team doesn't chuck it 20 time per game.

2 to 4 times per game is often plenty.  And yes, the other 15-20 passes underneath the coverage have a chance of going long with our athletes.

Welcome to football 101 with a highly efficient offense.

It's just so bizarre and delusional that SEC tools think they have better athletes than the NFL.  Or maybe they haven't noticed that spread passing concepts are really starting to take off in that league.  But I guess the stuff tearing up the NFL won't work with the  "superior speed" in the SEC...

2 minutes ago, meansonny said:

You seem shocked that a team doesn't chuck it 20 time per game.

2 to 4 times per game is often plenty.  And yes, the other 15-20 passes underneath the coverage have a chance of going long with our athletes.

Welcome to football 101 with a highly efficient offense.

So wait.  Is it efficient to throw screens or do they not work because of SEC speed?  You contradicted yourself completely in consecutive posts.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

So wait.  Is it efficient to throw screens or do they not work because of SEC speed?  You contradicted yourself completely in consecutive posts.

You make it sound like you can only throw it behind the line of scrimmage or 25 yards downfield.

You are smarter than that.

Hook em

3 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Our offense will matchup well against Georgia’s defense given ehlingers mobility. The key will be our offensive line and ehlingers shoulder staying healthy 

I don't know anything about texas.  I'm hoping to learn a bit on this board.

A mobile QB is a challenge for every DC.  We have handled mobile QBs in the past.  But each one presents a different set of challenges.  Your WRs will make our defensive scheme interesting (i.e. we did not match up well with the Bama WRs and a running back at QB like Jalen Hurts).  We have time to scheme

But it will be interesting to see what we throw out there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meansonny said:

A mobile QB is a challenge for every DC.  We have handled mobile QBs in the past.  But each one presents a different set of challenges.  Your WRs will make our defensive scheme interesting (i.e. we did not match up well with the Bama WRs and a running back at QB like Jalen Hurts).  We have time to scheme

Sam's like Tebow -- a fullback at QB, not a tailback.

3 minutes ago, meansonny said:

To be honest, it was a dumbass question.  No?

If I'm being honest, you come across as a dumbass and I'm being nicer to you than you deserve.  The dumbassery starts with comparing the Texas offense, which you admit you know nothing about to Auburn.  That's one of the worst analogies possible. 

Texas is just as efficient at completing passes and converting 3rd down as UGa, with a more reliable passing game but less power running.

Edited by sushihorn

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Sam's like Tebow -- a fullback at QB, not a tailback.

I don't think we have faced a back that big.  Hurts was faster than our OLBs  (who were fast and caught other mobile QBs in run downs like the guy from Kentucky ).  

What type of personnel does Texas run on offense?  All spread?  Any tight ends, h backs, or fullbacks?

• Like 1

The dumbassery starts with comparing the Texas offense, which you admit you know nothing about to Auburn.  That's one of the worst analogies possible. 

Texas is just as efficient at completing passes and converting 3rd down as UGa, with a more reliable passing game but less power running.

2 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

If I'm being honest, you come across as a dumbass and I'm being nicer to you than you deserve.  The dumbassery starts with comparing the Texas offense, which you admit you know nothing about to Auburn.  That's one of the worst analogies possible. 

You described everything that Auburn hates about their own offense in one post.

I don't know Texas.  I only know what you put out there.  And it was to a 'T' the GusBus offense.  If you take offense to that, then maybe you didn't describe the types of plays correctly.

Just now, meansonny said:

I don't think we have faced a back that big.  Hurts was faster than our OLBs  (who were fast and caught other mobile QBs in run downs like the guy from Kentucky ).  

What type of personnel does Texas run on offense?  All spread?  Any tight ends, h backs, or fullbacks?

You should have led with this.  Texas offense is a run-oriented spread, basically what Herman ran at Ohio State and Urban still runs something similar.

• Like 1

We base 11 personnel. And very rarely change out of that. The only other groupingd you’ll see are 10 and 12. But when we do 4 wide sets or 5 wide sets it’s still 11 personnel. 

Edited by taybo20

10 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

We base 11 personnel. And very rarely change out of that. The only other groupingd you’ll see are 10 and 12. But when we do 4 wide sets or 5 wide sets it’s still 11 personnel. 

We have been running a lot of nickel and dime against the 11 personnel.

We have a true freshman NT who plugged in after the LSU game who has settled our run defense down a bit.  But running a nickel 6 man box against an 11 personnel with a fullback for a QB sounds like asking for trouble.  We were able to contain the Bama tailbacks and Tua.  But Hurts was too much of a runner and we didn't have a good chance of stopping him with 6 blockers for 6 defenders and 2 ballcarriers behind it.

This will be an interesting match-up if you leave the game in your QBs hands (runs/scrambles).

We might not go nickel if we aren't scared by your passing game.  But we went that way against Mizzou, Auburn, and Bama.

Edited by meansonny

5 minutes ago, meansonny said:

That’s the thing though, with very few exceptions over the last two decades a true dual threat QB in the SEC doesnt throw for shit. Please regail me of all of those amazing LSU, Auburn, South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, Vandy, Florida, and even Bama dual threats who were worth a shit from the pocket? The few who were like Cam Newton, Tebow (barely), and Manziel (B12 guy) were treated like diety and were unstoppable heisman winners against those mighty SEC defenses. 

I think this will be a closer game than most think. 

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

That’s the thing though, with very few exceptions over the last two decades a true dual threat QB in the SEC doesnt throw for shit. Please regail me of all of those amazing LSU, Auburn, South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, Vandy, Florida, and even Bama dual threats who were worth a shit from the pocket? The few who were like Cam Newton, Tebow (barely), and Manziel (B12 guy) were treated like diety and were unstoppable heisman winners against those mighty SEC defenses. 

I think this will be a closer game than most think. 

Most of the spread concepts in the SEC are just a variation of running power.

The QB doesn't matter as a runner for the most part.  It is just an attempt to isolate defenders and run eye candy around it.

This is the first mention of the words "dual threat".  That isn't necessarily the same thing as spread offense.  One does not have to go hand in hand with the other.

5 minutes ago, meansonny said:

We have a true freshman NT who plugged in after the LSU game who has settled our run defense down a bit.  But running a nickel 6 man box against an 11 personnel with a fullback for a QB sounds like asking for trouble.  We were able to contain the Bama tailbacks and Tua.  But Hurts was too much of a runner and we didn't have a good chance of stopping him with 6 blockers for 6 defenders and 2 ballcarriers behind it.

This will be an interesting match-up if you leave the game in your QBs hands (runs/scrambles).

We might not go nickel if we aren't scared by your passing game.  But we went that way against Mizzou, Auburn, and Bama.

Sam is better than Drew Locke as both a runner and a passer.  I'd imagine your defense will open up with nickel.  You don't want to match up Duvernay (#3 WR in the slot) with a safety.  Also, your LBs are good run stoppers but tend to get exposed in coverage like when they tried to cover the short zones against Albert O from MU.

10 minutes ago, meansonny said:

Most of the spread concepts in the SEC are just a variation of running power.

The QB doesn't matter as a runner for the most part.  It is just an attempt to isolate defenders and run eye candy around it.

This is the first mention of the words "dual threat".  That isn't necessarily the same thing as spread offense.  One does not have to go hand in hand with the other.

I think people assumed you had SOME familiarity with Texas before commenting.  Sam Ehlinger is completing almost 65% at just under 8 YPA with 25 TD and 5 INT.  He's also run for over 400 yds and 18 additional TDs.

He is definitely a dual threat QB within a run oriented spread attack.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Sam is better than Drew Locke as both a runner and a passer.  I'd imagine your defense will open up with nickel.  You don't want to match up Duvernay (#3 WR in the slot) with a safety.  Also, your LBs are good run stoppers but tend to get exposed in coverage like when they tried to cover the short zones against Albert O from MU.

If you are basing anything from Missouri, you wont have much of a clue.  Personnel has changed a ton since then.  The #1 recruiting class and sophomore class has redesigned about half of the defense.

New starting NT  (true frosh), starting CB (soph), safety (true frosh), ILB  (true frosh and junior who switched to defense last season).  OLBs against Missouri includes 2 true frosh, but they are seeing more of a role as well.

Our pass defense has improved greatly (new CB and ILBs being a big part of that).  And our run defense has improved with the true NT.

If you are basing anything from Missouri, you wont have much of a clue.  Personnel has changed a ton since then.  The #1 recruiting class and sophomore class has redesigned about half of the defense.

New starting NT  (true frosh), starting CB (soph), safety (true frosh), ILB  (true frosh and junior who switched to defense last season).  OLBs against Missouri includes 2 true frosh, but they are seeing more of a role as well.

Our pass defense has improved greatly (new CB and ILBs being a big part of that).  And our run defense has improved with the true NT.

I'm trying to give you a perspective on our QB.  What you do with it is your business.

4 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I think people assumed you had SOME familiarity with Texas before commenting.  Sam Ehlinger is completing almost 65% at just under 8 YPA with 25 TD and 5 INT.  He's also run for over 400 yds and 18 additional TDs.

400 yards and 18 TDs?   Are those career numbers?

I looked at this season.  His TDs are impressive.  His ypc suck, but that probably is net with all of his sacks against him.  Being bigger, is he sacked a lot?

6 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

He definitely looks like a solid QB.  25:5 is great. Looks like a lot of underneath stuff from the numbers (good completion % but low ypa).  Efficient is efficient, though.  And the redzone threat to run is huge.

17 minutes ago, meansonny said:

I’d expect you’d do the same against us in terms of nickel. I also expect you to think that you can keep 6 in the box and win. I’m also not sure you are wrong in thinking that. The weakest part of our offense is the OL, and that of course is not a good thing. Obviously our OL coach is former auburn guy so he’ll know your stuff pretty well. But when it comes to player on player you’ll be better. I expect you guys to blitz early and often. Test our OL and find out if they can handle it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, meansonny said:

I looked at this season.  His TDs are impressive.  His ypc suck, but that probably is net with all of his sacks against him.  Being bigger, is he sacked a lot?

That's Sam's numbers from this year.

He's taken 20+ sacks, which would be nearly all of the 197 yards lost rushing.  Back them out and he's a 5 ypc rusher.  Even then his average would be higher except that he carries the ball frequently in short yardage situations where 2 yards is a win.  We compare him to Tebow but he's not quite that big (230-235) and more agile.  He'll surprise people with his moves in tight spaces and then run over them.

Edited by sushihorn

Kirby doesn't blitz much.  He likes to change things.  So you will see rushing a different 4. Or lots of stunts.

I'm not saying Kirby doesn't blitz.  But Bama fans felt he was too much bend/don't break.

Uga fans are happy because the net results are there.

Top receivers have their worst games against us.

Top qb's have one of their worst games against us.

Top backs have one of their worst games against us.

Having the ability to run and throw makes it tougher to game plan, though.

1 minute ago, meansonny said:

Kirby doesn't blitz much.  He likes to change things.  So you will see rushing a different 4. Or lots of stunts.

I'm not saying Kirby doesn't blitz.  But Bama fans felt he was too much bend/don't break.

He run fits well at the line and creates a pretty solid wall.  I've seen it on TV and it's hard to reconcile the low YPC given up with the lack of TFLs any other way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, meansonny said:

Interesting that Fromm’s total rushing yards are -22 and his yards per attempt are 9.3. Ehlinger also has more passing yards. 

8 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

That's Sam's numbers from this year.

He's taken 20+ sacks, which would be nearly all of the 197 yards lost rushing.  Back them out and he's a 5 ypc rusher.  Even then his average would be higher except that he carries the ball frequently in short yardage situations where 2 yards is a win.

I looked again.  13 rushing TDs. 400+ yards.  2.92 average.

The entire Texas run game doesn't look too great.

Speaking of the Mizzou game.  We gave them the run (nickel against the 11 personnel). The best they could do was run for 4 TDs. We shut down the passing game.  It was a good formula to win.

Luckily, we have developed a true NT since then.  But the game plan against them could be very similar in the sugar bowl.

Edited by meansonny

I'm not sure where you are going with this.  It kind of jumps around a bit.

Meant to address comparison to ypa but quoted ypc.  I think Texas defense will match up better with a classic drop back passer like Fromm.  He definitely is not a run threat. 

I'd say Sam is a way above average runner for a qb his size, as well a punishing one. Unfortunately that aspect  is somewhat tempered by his shoulder injury. He is also getting better and better at the deeper throws. We have a major advantage at the receiver vs db matchup. I would put our receiver unit against the very best in the country, maybe the best. If we can protect Sam, we can win this game.

And backup qbs have all time performances. I guess that should be our plan. But surely you realize I’m jesting. 

We've had problems blocking 3, so it may be true that you won’t need to blitz at all which plays into your scheme. I’m interested in how you will play coverage. 

Just now, immortal13 said:

I'd say Sam is a way above average runner for a qb his size, as well a punishing one. Unfortunately that aspect  is somewhat tempered by his shoulder injury. He is also getting better and better at the deeper throws. We have a major advantage at the receiver vs db matchup. I would put our receiver unit against the very best in the country, maybe the best. If we can protect Sam, we can win this game.

UGA does have 2 great corners.

Safeties are average.

ILB are probably above average coverage for linebackers.  But you can still create mismatches.  My disappointment at ILB is that we don't have a dominant closer like we had in Roquan. It is a "by committee" approach which works against a good passing team.  Or against a good running team.  But throw a mobile qb on a passing team?  We will have to find out how prepared we can be at ILB.

I looked again.  13 rushing TDs. 400+ yards.  2.92 average.

The entire Texas run game doesn't look too great.

Speaking of the Mizzou game.  We gave them the run (nickel against the 11 personnel). The best they could do was run for 4 TDs. We shut down the passing game.  It was a good formula to win.

Luckily, we have developed a true NT since then.  But the game plan against them could be very similar in the sugar bowl.

I agree with you there. We don't have the true top tier tailback we are used to having here at Texas. If we did, we wouldn't be discussing playing you guys in the Sugar Bowl

He definitely looks like a solid QB.  25:5 is great. Looks like a lot of underneath stuff from the numbers (good completion % but low ypa).  Efficient is efficient, though.  And the redzone threat to run is huge.

Long story short, we don't run the Gus bus offense, we actually try and use our QB effectively in the run game not to mention we are actually able to exectue this novelty called the forward pass that is foreign to Auburn.

We do not run a ton of RB screens, tunnel screens etc... We do occasionally run a RB screen or quick hitch WR screen to the outside if we have numbers as an extension of our abysmal run game. If Kirby doesn't play most of the game with a 6 man box then y'all should probably withhold his game check. We we will not run the ball effectively, we will probably throw the ball north of 35 times, I would even go as far as to say 40+ times. We will be trying to throw for 400 yards as it is probably the best chance we have at winning as Collin Johnson and LJH are two of the biggest matchup nightmares in college football.

Other little notes, when Sam takes off to run and he does this pretty stiff yet at the same time somewhat agile cut and one of your defenders goes by him, don't pull your hair out. I can imagine it will be frustrating. Sam is the last person on the planet you would expect to make a cut and the only people that seem to be more surprised than the opposing fans when he does are the opposing players.

Collin Johnson is probably going to catch a few "hold my dick" balls in which he treats the DB like child's play. It will be okay, doesn't necessarily mean your DBs are shit.

Sam can't seem to hit Duvernay (our straight line burner on the outside) in stride on any post or go route, so if he hits him in stride at any point in the game you might as well prepare your anus because it means Sammy came to let his nuts hang.

Other than that, we are pretty much a 3 man offense (Sam, CJ, LJH) with an OLine that can't run block to save their life but are an A-/B+ unit in pass protection. We will probably get minor contributions from Andrew Beck (TE) in the pass game. We have two serviceable backs in Sanders and Ingram who are both running behind a bad OLine and Duvernay is an elite speed receiver who will be a major factor if y'all try to focus in on LJH and CJ to much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, immortal13 said:

The biggest thing is that Sam is a very accurate intermediate passer.  That's how Texas has the same 3rd down conversion rate at Georgia without the same degree of run threat.

3 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

And backup qbs have all time performances. I guess that should be our plan. But surely you realize I’m jesting. 

We've had problems blocking 3, so it may be true that you won’t need to blitz at all which plays into your scheme. I’m interested in how you will play coverage. 

We game plan very very well. Changing scheme mid-game is not a bad approach.  Bama has bit us twice with it.  Our last loss to Mizzou was to a backup QB.  Same for recent losses to Vandy and South Carolina. 

4 minutes ago, meansonny said:

We game plan very very well. Changing scheme mid-game is not a bad approach.  Bama has bit us twice with it.  Our last loss to Mizzou was to a backup QB.  Same for recent losses to Vandy and South Carolina. 

Trust me, we’ve had the same issues with backups. Or qbs with knee braces. I hope we don’t see Justin fields 

Edited by taybo20