Todd Orlando should love the Georgia Matchup

sushihorn

Can the defensive line protect the linebackers? Those are big backs that will be coming with steam through the hole. Gary is violent but he’s not a huge physical presence. I don’t know if Jeffrey is down to bang in the box, I’ve seen him whiff on smaller backs. Roach, Nelly, and Charles will need to make them run wide.

30 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Can the defensive line protect the linebackers? Those are big backs that will be coming with steam through the hole. Gary is violent but he’s not a huge physical presence. I don’t know if Jeffrey is down to bang in the box, I’ve seen him whiff on smaller backs. Roach, Nelly, and Charles will need to make them run wide.

I have a feeling we’ll be running a lot of 4-man fronts against Georgia 

16 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

I have a feeling we’ll be running a lot of 4-man fronts against Georgia 

Yep.  Shark at B-Backer is just what the doctor ordered if UGa wants to run against it.  Nor does the thought of BJ Foster coming up in run support hurt my feelings.

Edited by sushihorn

It we can keep swift away from the edge and force everything in the middle I like it. If Swift gets on the edge. I’ve seen our ooor angles and espn highlight launches enough to know that he could house it if the edge guys are disciplined.  Thankfully Fromm is as much of a runner as Brady 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

UGA has a massive front 4 that can push guys like Hager around easily.

He'll play more 4-man lines and ask Hager to take on less double-teams and "free up the LB" duty. At least I hope he would. ISU gameplan all the way.

I respect Breckyn. But I'm glad this is going to be his last game as a starting DE at the University of Texas. He'll finish Top 3 in our hearts, but nowhere near the Top 5 DEs we've had on campus in the 2010s.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

orlando is not loving much these days.  the second half of the season our defense has sucked shit through a straw.  this is a big challenge for the coaches.  

We've struggled on defense, yes, but that reality also has to be balanced with the fact that we've played the following ranked offesnes: #1 (twice), 8, 10, 12, and 39. Just looking at the 2nd half of the season, the 2 offenses not ranked in the top 50 (Iowa st and Kansas), we held to 10 and 17 points, respectively. So, with that context, it's not like our defense is entirely useless, but GA is ranked 13th in offense, so we probably won't be holding them to under 21 pts. 

9 hours ago, sushihorn said:

1) He tends to do really bad things to pro style offenses.  See USC and ISU this year and last as well as Louisville in 2016 when he was at UH.

2) His LBs play much better when they can key the RB and attack instead of worrying about coverage every play against spread teams.

3) PJ Locke is a much better player close to the LOS.

4) Orlando's blitzes are more effective when the QB can't buy time with his feet to diagnose disguised coverages and when the pass rushers aren't worried about a running QB breaking contain.  Fromm is the definition of statuesque, with negative 22 rushing yards.

5) UGa is a run heavy offense (63%).  Focus on stopping the run can make them one dimensional.  Making them one dimensional is halfway to making them zero dimensional since their high pass efficiency rating is a function of being able to throw the ball when THEY want to off play action.

6) He likes to play run on early downs and Georgia likes to force the run on early downs.  Orlando's defense is especially effective when they can play single-gap responsibility against the run and that combo should allow them to do so frequently.

I had these same thoughts, the Georgia matchup is a good one for the defense. The main thing that we need to worry about is their offensive line, it is beastly and will give us trouble unless we play out of our minds. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I had these same thoughts, the Georgia matchup is a good one for the defense. The main thing that we need to worry about is their offensive line, it is beastly and will give us trouble unless we play out of our minds. 

One thing about UGa is that the competent defenses they've faced generally held their offense to around 30 pts.  Against UK, TN and FL they needed a big play by the defense or special teams to get past 30 points.  Even against Mizzou, the GA offense scored 29 (with 3 of those set up by another MU turnover).  When opposing teams didn't turn the ball over, Georgia's offense didn't look that scary prior to the SEC CG.  27 pts against Auburn is right in line with those other results and of course LSU held them to 16.

I don't expect Texas to hold UGa to the same degree as LSU did.  But with good ball security, I have no trouble picturing their offense scoring 24-28 points.  Plenty of teams with decent defenses have already done that.

Just now, tbone_ said:

I like the matchup. Seems like Georgia is probably quite a bit better than SC or Iowa State though.

So, in summary, bring it on.

Absolutely agreed.  Georgia has more talent but those are the only measuring sticks we have.  So let's compare to their season averages.  USC averaged 26.1 ppg and 133.5 ypg.  Went for 14 points and negative 5 vs Texas.  ISU averaged 26.8 ppg 124.3 ypg on the ground.  Less than half that (10 pts, 62 yds) vs Texas.

Georgia looks very formidable on paper: just over 250 rushing ypg and 39.2 ppg. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Absolutely agreed.  Georgia has more talent but those are the only measuring sticks we have.  So let's compare to their season averages.  USC averaged 26.1 ppg and 133.5 ypg.  Went for 14 points and negative 5 vs Texas.  ISU averaged 26.8 ppg 124.3 ypg on the ground.  Less than half that (10 pts, 62 yds) vs Texas.

I anticipate that we will hold them to around 24-28 points. My bigger question is can we score 30 on them? The QB run game should help, but I anticipate Smart to double both CJ and LJH at times. This would be a great game for Duvernay to go off. 

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I anticipate that we will hold them to around 24-28 points. My bigger question is can we score 30 on them? The QB run game should help, but I anticipate Smart to double both CJ and LJH at times. This would be a great game for Duvernay to go off. 

And Beck underneath. That option will be crucial. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

One thing about UGa is that the competent defenses they've faced generally held their offense to around 30 pts.  Against UK, TN and FL they needed a big play by the defense or special teams to get past 30 points.  Even against Mizzou, the GA offense scored 29 (with 3 of those set up by another MU turnover).  When opposing teams didn't turn the ball over, Georgia's offense didn't look that scary prior to the SEC CG.  27 pts against Auburn is right in line with those other results and of course LSU held them to 16.

I don't expect Texas to hold UGa to the same degree as LSU did.  But with good ball security, I have no trouble picturing their offense scoring 24-28 points.  Plenty of teams with decent defenses have already done that.

Hopefully our offense will not be offensive.

Georgia plays more "honest" (meaning they're not going to try a bunch of misdirection or "spread the field" stuff) offense than just about anyone we play. They like to simply win their battles at the LOS and proceed NFL style down the field.

This is actually going to be a very interesting aspect. Texas built its defense to counter the Big 12 "defend every inch" offenses where a ton of speedy receivers run everywhere and the QBs drop footballs right over their shoulder. As such, the Texas defense tries to keep the offense guessing about their structure and pressure until the snap. Rather than size, each OL member then has to decide which of the 3 players lined up near him is his responsibility. The idea is to cause gap and assignment problems.

The SEC doesn't use this defensive concept very often. It will be interesting (and a critical part of the game) to see how Georgia's OL handles the different style.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Will they call holding on GA OL?

9 minutes ago, wood said:

Who the zebras gonna be?

We don't know yet.  The conference assigned to officiate each bowl was announced about this time last year.  It will be one of the other 3 P6 conferences and that seems OK as long as Pac-12 lawyers aren't involved.

• Like 1

I kind of think our defense will look good against uga assuming we aren’t worn down late. We will, have simpler key reads and less threat of RPO action. Or in the case of mobile qbs, RRPO...haha. Wheeler is horrible in coverage so more run blitzing is a good thing for him. I also think we will see some heavier fronts...like Roach, Wilbon, Nelson, omenihu, and sub Hager for the 3rd and long situations that he is much better in. Not saying we won’t show our base defense, but we have some good options

• Like 2

After the way we showed against Maryland, I'm not too sure this is a great matchup for Orlando's defense.  I know we've come a long way, baby, but that Big10 running team pushed us around 2 years in a row.  If Orlando plays more 4-man fronts, or plays more traditional linebackers, then I like our chances better than if he goes w/ our traditional nickel and dime packages.

4 minutes ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

After the way we showed against Maryland, I'm not too sure this is a great matchup for Orlando's defense.  I know we've come a long way, baby, but that Big10 running team pushed us around 2 years in a row.  If Orlando plays more 4-man fronts, or plays more traditional linebackers, then I like our chances better than if he goes w/ our traditional nickel and dime packages.

They had 143 yards at 3.1 per rush. I don't know about "pushing us around." They also got a substantial amount of that off of jet sweeps (including 28 yards on a TD), before we figured out how to defend that, and while we had Malcolm Roach lumbering around the middle of the field masquerading as a starting LB. AND Gary Johnson got kicked out in the 2nd quarter.

I ran the highlights of that game back and man we aren't even close to that defense we trotted out week 1. No BJ Foster, no Gary, and Malcolm was getting reps at MLB next to GJ (he played as a NT in the second half of the season, and in game 1 we had him trying to catch receivers off jet sweeps as a LB). Not to mention Kasim Hill had knees during week 1 and Georgia has starting QB that won't misdirect with triple option BS.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Georgia plays more "honest" (meaning they're not going to try a bunch of misdirection or "spread the field" stuff) offense than just about anyone we play. They like to simply win their battles at the LOS and proceed NFL style down the field.

This is actually going to be a very interesting aspect. Texas built its defense to counter the Big 12 "defend every inch" offenses where a ton of speedy receivers run everywhere and the QBs drop footballs right over their shoulder. As such, the Texas defense tries to keep the offense guessing about their structure and pressure until the snap. Rather than size, each OL member then has to decide which of the 3 players lined up near him is his responsibility. The idea is to cause gap and assignment problems.

The SEC doesn't use this defensive concept very often. It will be interesting (and a critical part of the game) to see how Georgia's OL handles the different style.

This is where the loss of Poona hurts.  With Nelson moved inside Hager is trying to fight an OT head up in his place.  Probably need to get snaps from one of the bigger young guys at DE.  Not sure if Hager can move back to Buck LB easily at this point but he played decently in that spot in 2017.  At least there's some time to make that adjustment if the coaches want.

2 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

This is where the loss of Poona hurts.  With Nelson moved inside Hager is trying to fight an OT head up in his place.  Probably need to get snaps from one of the bigger young guys at DE.  Not sure if Hager can move back to Buck LB easily at this point but he played decently in that spot in 2017.  At least there's some time to make that adjustment if the coaches want.

We should be playing everyone we think can help. Ojomo/Ossai etc. 

no redshirt burn risk. Put anyone in even purely situationally that can help for a play. 

New RS rules will make this an interesting game. 

40 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Fuck, I think OP just convinced me we can win.

Welcome to the party. My first thought when the matchup was announced was that Orlando's strength is against run-first teams, so fuck yeah, I want Georgia. It's heavy lifting, yes, but you don't get to be the top dog without beating up some big dawgs.

33 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Fuck, I think OP just convinced me we can win.

I don't think Texas should be favored but this team is good enough to beat Georgia. For once Texas is the team with lesser talent on the field but an advantage in scheme.  UGa has had great recruiting but their offensive and defensive ranks are 10-20 spots below their recruiting rank.  At a high level, that is very much like a typical Mack Brown team.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Welcome to the party. My first thought when the matchup was announced was that Orlando's strength is against run-first teams, so fuck yeah, I want Georgia. It's heavy lifting, yes, but you don't get to be the top dog without beating up some big dawgs.

Heavy lifting for the front 6/7.  One big advantage is that Texas is much more disruptive on defense than Georgia.  #31 in TFLs and above average in sacks can help put an opponent behind the chains, while Jawja doesn't do well when forced into obvious passing downs.  Lots of sacks, incompletions and a fair number of penalties and turnovers under those circumstances.

UGa is one of the worst teams in FBS at TFLs and sacks.  They also aren't good at forcing turnovers.  That's atrocious considering the speed and athleticism they recruit.  That's a good thing for Texas considering the need to sustain drives.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sushihorn said:

1) He tends to do really bad things to pro style offenses.  See USC and ISU this year and last as well as Louisville in 2016 when he was at UH.

2) His LBs play much better when they can key the RB and attack instead of worrying about coverage every play against spread teams.

4) Orlando's blitzes are more effective when the QB can't buy time with his feet to diagnose disguised coverages and when the pass rushers aren't worried about a running QB breaking contain.  Fromm is the definition of statuesque, with negative 22 rushing yards.

5) UGa is a run heavy offense (63%).  Focus on stopping the run can make them one dimensional.  Making them one dimensional is halfway to making them zero dimensional since their high pass efficiency rating is a function of being able to throw the ball when THEY want to off play action.

6) He likes to play run on early downs and Georgia likes to force the run on early downs.  Orlando's defense is especially effective when they can play single-gap responsibility against the run and that combo should allow them to do so frequently.

Keep going, I'm almost there...

15 hours ago, sushihorn said:

1) Jimmys and Joes > X's and O's at the CFB level. Georgia is deeper and more talented than us at nearly every position. If Alabama's defense is struggling to contain D'Andre Swift, I can guarantee you that we will too regardless of scheme.

2) Fromm is one of the best QBs in CFB against the blitz. It doesn't really matter that he's not so mobile, we try our usual delayed blitzes and he'll pick us apart. And like Murray he'll have eons of time to throw the ball.