Georgia Defense: an Analytical Summary

sushihorn

On 12/31/2018 at 5:03 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

2 things worry me.  Hager getting destroyed on the regular like last game. and possibly revisiting this thread Wednesday morning. 

Hager didn't seem to play that much, at least not as much as he'd been playing the rest of this season.

Edited by C-Man

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Good job counting the two Saban-fueled titles at LSU he already mentioned.

Of the last 10 non-Saban national championships, 3 came from the SEC. 

Only one of those were Saban’s. But I guess you’ll say Les had his recruits. Either way, count whichever way makes your numbers look better. 3 is still more than any other conference, and that’s with cherry picking your numbers. 

It's not cherry picking when the thesis of the post you were responding to was that the recent strength of the SEC is actually Saban, doofus.

You also might want to look up what the phrase "fueled by" means in this context while you're working on your reading comprehension. Isn't Georgia supposed to be one of the decent schools in the SEC?

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It's not cherry picking when the thesis of the post you were responding to was that the recent strength of the SEC is actually Saban, doofus.

You also might want to look up what the phrase "fueled by" means in this context while you're working on your reading comprehension. Isn't Georgia supposed to be one of the decent schools in the SEC?

I know, and I brought up facts that still shows the SEC is winning more over the past 10-15 years than other conferences...Basically everyone is saying take Bama out of the SEC and they’re average. But if we’re doing that you need to take away every conferences’ best team and/or coach, they all look worse. Take OU out of the Big12. OSU out of the B1G, Washington PAC, Clemson ACC... you know, since we’re saying take Bama out, we need to keep it equal and do it for all conferences when making these comparisons. 

7 hours ago, Teddy said:

Only one of those were Saban’s. But I guess you’ll say Les had his recruits. Either way, count whichever way makes your numbers look better. 3 is still more than any other conference, and that’s with cherry picking your numbers. 

We're about to get a good test of what Les Miles can do when someone DOESN'T leave him a pile of talent.  So this debate should resolve itself in a few years.

9 hours ago, Teddy said:

It's not so much about Miles having Saban's recruits. Saban changed the paradigm for Louisiana kids. Suddenly they had pride in their state and viewed LSU in a different light than they had the previous 50 years. Louisiana kids were notorious for leaving the state, particularly to schools in Florida and Texas. Saban put a halt to that. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 hours ago, Teddy said:

I know, and I brought up facts that still shows the SEC is winning more over the past 10-15 years than other conferences...Basically everyone is saying take Bama out of the SEC and they’re average. But if we’re doing that you need to take away every conferences’ best team and/or coach, they all look worse. Take OU out of the Big12. OSU out of the B1G, Washington PAC, Clemson ACC... you know, since we’re saying take Bama out, we need to keep it equal and do it for all conferences when making these comparisons. 

Yup, you could do that. Take all the best teams out of the conferences and see how they stack up. 

But ultimately you’re still overrated and you have aggy in your conference. So, lol. 

12 hours ago, Teddy said:

Fuck you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

2 of which came from Meyer, another all-time great coach. 

And yet, he could only get 1 playing in a down B1G for most of his years, with arguably the biggest brand name team in college. Must’ve been the migraines. At least he can teach his leadership and morals class at OSU moving forward. I like how when someone has success in the SEC “we” eliminate them from counting. Smart. 

11 hours ago, sushihorn said:

We're about to get a good test of what Les Miles can do when someone DOESN'T leave him a pile of talent.  So this debate should resolve itself in a few years.

I’m pretty sure he’ll just try to use Kansas as a stepping stone to get a better gig. Kansas belongs in the FCS in football. 5 wins a year and he’ll have them playing great football for their standards. 

5 minutes ago, Teddy said:

I’m pretty sure he’ll just try to use Kansas as a stepping stone to get a better gig. Kansas belongs in the FCS in football. 5 wins a year and he’ll have them playing great football for their standards. 

KU beat VaTech in the Orange Bowl only 10 years ago.  Mark Mangino took over a terrible team and had them in a bowl in year 2.  If he stays 5-6 years to build his resume can he even get them close to winning a NY6 bowl?  I think that's a fair comparison.  Is Miles as good a coach as the fat man?  Frankly I doubt it but he should stick around long enough to at least test the first part of the thesis in year 2.

Yeah, Mangino was a great coach (and a shitty person, pun intended) but he also got extremely lucky in 2007 with how down the South was that year. And they still didn't have to play down Texas or Oklahoma squads but only benefited from them not taking high bowl slots. 

Not to take anything away from that magical Jayhawk season and the greatest Border War game of all time, just that to me if Miles wants to be as good as Mangino at Kansas the goal should be multiple 9 win seasons and Top 15 finishes.

11 hours ago, sushihorn said:

To be fair he was he guy who initially rebuilt OkState from the ground up.   He’s known for his LSU days but he wasn’t left with much in Stillwater yet brought in the Woods brothers, Tatum Bell, Darren Williams, Vernand Morency, Kevin williams, and others turning them into a consistent bowl team before he left after 4 seasons.

Obviously it’s hard to predict him doing well at KU as the Big 12 is deeper, the spread has taken over, and he’s going to a job where there is even less likelihood of a turnaround.

Edited by S11

And yet, he could only get 1 playing in a down B1G for most of his years, with arguably the biggest brand name team in college. Must’ve been the migraines. At least he can teach his leadership and morals class at OSU moving forward. I like how when someone has success in the SEC “we” eliminate them from counting. Smart. 

It’s not like he had an undefeated team his first year and they were on a bowl ban or anything.

My original point was not to remove Bama from the SEC, but to remove one person from the SEC.  Does LSU and Bama still win a combined 7 NC's?  Probably not.  Saban's dominance is portrayed in the media as being SEC dominance.  But recent bowl match ups have proved that to be incorrect.

Edited by Terry Silver

7 hours ago, S11 said:

To be fair he was he guy who initially rebuilt OkState from the ground up.   He’s known for his LSU days but he wasn’t left with much in Stillwater yet brought in the Woods brothers, Tatum Bell, Darren Williams, Vernand Morency, Kevin williams, and others turning them into a consistent bowl team before he left after 4 seasons.

Obviously it’s hard to predict him doing well at KU as the Big 12 is deeper, the spread has taken over, and he’s going to a job where there is even less likelihood of a turnaround.

Les Miles  took a 4-5 win OSU and made them an 8 win team in 3-4 years.  He beat Stoops twice which is why people think of him as a great coach but in reality RC Slocum wrote that blueprint in 2002.  One reason I bring up Mangino is that the fat man started with a lot less and got KU to about the same place.

it's simple...  ESPN lobbied hard to get Florida into the 2008 NC. It should have been Texas vs OU, but "nobody wants to see a replay of a game that already happened in October".( ESPN).. On top of that, they lobbied hard to get the Human Polls to drop far enough down to protect Florida by matching them with a defensively weaker OU...   it should have been Texas who beat OU by the same score (?) Flordia won by, but Texas was much more dominate in their win...

Colt going down the first drive gave the another NC.  It took Alabama the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter to finally put away a true freshmen with 0 experience.. A freshman who that night turned the ball over more than he threw touchdowns... it wasn't the Alabama Defense causing the turnovers... Turning the ball over multiple times a game became the trademark of GDGG....

Then there was the one OSU should have been in instead of the shitastic repeat of the sec CC shit show that ESPN lobbied hard to get a repeat of...  nobody but espn and secsecsec cared to see a repeat of 3-6...  that OSU offense would have skull fuck either SEC team.  Their defeense would have skull fucked either of those defenses also...

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 2:57 PM, C-Man said:

Hager didn't seem to play that much, at least not as much as he'd been playing the rest of this season.

Hagar was a non factor all game, even the 3rd down stop on UGA 3rd  drive, his legs buckle as Charles makes the play in front of him.

18 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Hagar was a non factor all game, even the 3rd down stop on UGA 3rd  drive, his legs buckle as Charles makes the play in front of him.

The rest of the line slanted left and Hagar dropped into flats coverage.  He was the force man who turned Swift back inside where Omenihu tackled him for a loss.

On 1/3/2019 at 11:47 AM, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, Mangino was a great coach (and a shitty person, pun intended) but he also got extremely lucky in 2007 with how down the South was that year. And they still didn't have to play down Texas or Oklahoma squads but only benefited from them not taking high bowl slots. 

Not to take anything away from that magical Jayhawk season and the greatest Border War game of all time, just that to me if Miles wants to be as good as Mangino at Kansas the goal should be multiple 9 win seasons and Top 15 finishes.

Kansas was top 10 in 1994 also when the Big 8 was really good.  OU was down, but NU and CU were at peak.