Running Cables Through Ceiling

kmac30

I need to run some cables through my ceiling and through a wall. They will connect to a cable box. As of right now, it will probably just be HDMI. I might decide to run the power cord from the TV through this path. How can I do this up to code? Electrician wants to put an outlet behind the TV but I’m concerned about the amount of space it’s going to take up. We’re putting trim over a brick fireplace.

Can they run free or do they need to be in a tube?

TL;DR - Yes it can be done.

Long answer - depends on how far.  They generally don't need conduit, although it's good to use conduit for other reasons, like future proofing.  Make sure in-ceiling cables are plenum rated if you want to be in code.  You can also use plenum rated Ethernet and various companies make HDMI dongles for each side that you can use to convert it to HDMI.  If you're going to run conduit, maybe put in a combo cable with a few Ethernet cables, 16/4, etc - the cost is low to do it now and high to do it later.

https://www.amazon.com/Plenum-Rated-Cable-Speed-Ethernet/dp/B008GW0CAW

Thanks again. We’re looking at 15-20 feet I believe to the other room. I’ll go measure tonight to be sure.

And I have stepped between the rafters before and paid the price with my shin. I was in a hurry and will never rush in the attic again. This attic has a ton of insulation so the rafters are hard to spot.

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I would suggest walking carefully instead of running through the attic. Falling through the ceiling and having to replace sheetrock and get prosthetic nuts is just a hassle. Or so says my friend.

I've done this TWICE in the same spot!.  The first time, I thought I just missed the board.  I fixed the ceiling and then  did it again in the same spot.... but I KNOW I stepped on the board the second time. After checking it out, I found the 2x4 was not nailed on one end and it gave way each time I stepped on it.  Boy, that pissed me off. 

55 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

Thanks again. We’re looking at 15-20 feet I believe to the other room. I’ll go measure tonight to be sure.

And I have stepped between the rafters before and paid the price with my shin. I was in a hurry and will never rush in the attic again. This attic has a ton of insulation so the rafters are hard to spot.

I have two cables that came in the mail this week that I plan on running through the attic this weekend: one is a 30' HDMI cable and the other is a 30" CRT cable. In my living room, I have a shelf close to the ceiling that makes a perfect place to hide electronics that burglars would have a hard time getting to even if they knew something was up there (unlikely).  Knowing the distance may be an issue, the cables were very inexpensive and I thought it would be worth the try to see if they work - I think they will.  I want to hide and centralize my Simplisafe security system base and my wireless security camera base.  I have to run power to the shelf through the attic (not a problem) and run the cables from the shelf through the attic to my office where I can view the devices. 

On 1/9/2019 at 10:12 PM, kmac30 said:

I need to run some cables through my ceiling and through a wall. They will connect to a cable box. As of right now, it will probably just be HDMI. I might decide to run the power cord from the TV through this path. How can I do this up to code? Electrician wants to put an outlet behind the TV but I’m concerned about the amount of space it’s going to take up. We’re putting trim over a brick fireplace.

Can they run free or do they need to be in a tube?

I'm not an electrician so this is kind of talking out my butt.  I could be wrong but I've done a lot of stuff like this my whole life - but, then again, my family has some redneck blood.  LOL Several things to consider. If you use the correct gauge of wire AND it is insulated, generally it does not require a conduit (tube). If the wires are not insulted (free standing), then it's a good idea to have a conduit; not just for code but it makes individual wires easier to run, esp through the horizontal studs.  the most important thing is whether the gauge of wire is sufficient for distance and amperage (there are charts for this). 

I dont think signal cables require any conduit (tube), however, it does make them easier to run if they have a gutter or tube to follow

You mentioned running something to a "cable box".  Yes, HDMI is better but, IMO, not so much so as to have to rewire everything and COAX cabling is still a very good signal carrier and much easier to work with.  I cut the cord 11 years ago.  I just put an antenna in the attic and spliced into the existing coax cabling in the attic. I just connect my tv devices to the coax in the wall just as before - looks clean and without wires dangling around.