2019 Australian Open

spystud13

10 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

It was a total collapse but calling the first foot fault of the match on match point is like calling the first offensive holding call on the last play of the game, if not worse. 

That didn't cause her to lose and she shit the bed hard but pretty lame call. Horrible loss. 

1) It is shitty calling a foot fault.

2) It was definitely a foot fault.

3) I don't know why Cyclops doesn't call foot faults. There is absolutely no reason for a human line judge to be responsible for making that call. Put in the machines and no one will foot fault more than once.

THE CALL MIGHT HAVE INDIRECTLY BEEN WHY SHE LOST...

After that foot fault, she served again, there was a rally, and Pliskova smacked it behind Serena as she was moving to her left on the baseline.

Serena tried to stop and reach back to hit the ball when her NIKE shoes gripped the court and she turned her left ankle. Not a horrible sprain, but she definitely rolled it.

After rolling her ankle, Serena wasn't the same the rest of the match.

-She didn't win another game
-Her serves looked like shit after they had looked unstoppable in the 3rd set as she raced to a 5-1 lead, and...
-She didn't move nearly as well on the court.

I don't know how the ankle is today and whether it would have affected her against Naomi, but it absolutely hampered her from that point (the 2nd serve on Match Point) until she lost.

Djokovic (I’m not giving Pouille a chance) vs Nadal might be the most important match in Men’s history when it comes down to who will end up with the most Grand Slam titles.  Federer is at 20, but it’s getting harder to see him adding any more.  With a win Nadal would be at 18 and most likely adding #19 at the French where he will always be a threat.  Djokovic would take #15 and be the odds on favorite at Wimbledon and the US Open, while being the 2nd or co 2nd choice at Roland Garros (Thiem).  

Should be a fun one to watch as they usually play the best matches on tour when they meet up in grand slams.

Yeah it’s going to be a remarkable match.

And you are probably right about how important it is. I still think Federer finds one more GS (likely Wimbledon this year or AO next). A draw/injury situation will break his way and he will get an “easy” title.

I do think either Nadal or Djokovic end up with 21 or more tho, possibly both if Nadal wins Sunday. I think it’s all but certain Nadal will hit the 20 mark if he wins Sunday... definitely harder to see if he doesn’t win. But if he doesn’t then Djokovic has a real chance at going past 20 as he should be the favorite at every major for the next two years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, satyanash said:

Fun fact: If Naomi Osaka doesn't win the Australian Open, 9 different women will have won the last nine slams for the first time since 1939.

So if Kvitova wins the final, this streak will continue.  On the men's side, working backwards you have to go to the Gaston Gaudio at the 2004 French to reach a 9th different winner.

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

3) I don't know why Cyclops doesn't call foot faults.

Yes you do. Because all players would have to change their serve so much to not foot fault all the time watching the tennis would be awful. Again it's like offensive holding it could almost be called on every play. 

In his current form Nadal will beat Djokovic. The latter isn't playing his best tennis so far. They're both far, far ahead of Federer right now though.

I suspect Djokovic will show up against Nadal. Unfortunately thanks to the 2am start times I haven’t gotten to watch a ton of either guy but it seems Nadal is basically top of his game... which is shocking considering he was hurt like two weeks ago.

I suspect Djokovic will show up against Nadal. Unfortunately thanks to the 2am start times I haven’t gotten to watch a ton of either guy but it seems Nadal is basically top of his game... which is shocking considering he was hurt like two weeks ago.

He really wasn't hurt. He's been doing this his entire career. Many people in the tennis world also think he's been a serial juicer.

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Yes you do. Because all players would have to change their serve so much to not foot fault all the time watching the tennis would be awful. Again it's like offensive holding it could almost be called on every play. 

I don't think that moving 2 inches back from the line is going to totally change tennis and make it awful.

If a player know that s/he foot faults out of habit, then s/he will simply learn how much space s/he needs to move back to not set off Cyclops. 1 to 3 inches in the grand scheme of a serve that goes several yards before crossing the net is not going to make a smidgeon of difference*.

*SEE ALSO: "Professional Bowling"

7 minutes ago, HouTex said:

He really wasn't hurt. He's been doing this his entire career. Many people in the tennis world also think he's been a serial juicer.

I have always thought that Rafa is a juicer. I have felt the same about Serena since she hit her late 20s.

I also thought that Lance was cheating when he came back from cancer, because he didn't follow a full schedule. He could lay low while others were getting tested on a regular basis and then pop up like Superman! (Of course, I thought that he was just doping with his own blood, because you can donate a pint ever 56 days, so I thought that he was storing up his own blood to then dope during The Tour... wow, was I naïve about the extent of doping.)

So I would say that Rafa & Serena are doping in some way or another, but I don't have proof or the knowledge of how it would be done.

What I do know is that Rafa is absolutely kicking ass at the moment. It is probably due to doping, but whatever it is, Rafa "Ivan Drago" Nadal has currently got it going on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoustonFrog said:

Nadal has always played very, very well coming off on injuries.

It's one of the reasons there have been whispers throughout his post-2010 career re: possible steroid usage.