Hotel at LAX with good shuttle and breakfast

Homercles

Any recs for a good hotel close to LAX? Needed for an overnight (flight arrives 9:50pm and departs next day at 12:50p) in March, coming back from Asia.

Main requirements are decent accommodations, timely shuttle and hopefully breakfast. Last time we did this we waited an hour for the shuttle from the Radisson...and after 18 hours of travel, that sucks ass.

Budget is

It would suck to have to wait that long for a shuttle but traffic on the roads into the airport can be worse than brutal. It's not unheard of to spend 2 hours getting to and going around that loop. For a nearby hotel I'd suggest checking out the Westin or "The H by Hilton" despite the stupid name. 

• Like 1

It would suck to have to wait that long for a shuttle but traffic on the roads into the airport can be worse than brutal. It's not unheard of to spend 2 hours getting to and going around that loop. For a nearby hotel I'd suggest checking out the Westin or "The H by Hilton" despite the stupid name. 

Is it faster to Uber outta there? I just recall watching shuttle after shuttle from other hotels fly by, every 15m or so, while we just stood there.

9 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Is it faster to Uber outta there? I just recall watching shuttle after shuttle from other hotels fly by, every 15m or so, while we just stood there.

Well since you put it that way, it sounds like a hotel shuttle problem. I'd carry the hotel concierge phone number to check on shuttle status and try uber if it doesn't seem timely. Also, unless you're not going to get a rental car, if you can get to the rental car area, it's easier to get out of there than closer to the terminal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Sounds like you just need a decent place to crash.  Pick a hotel that also does LAX parking, and it will vastly increase the number of shuttles.  Crown Plaza or the Marriott and you can't go wrong.

• Like 1

150-250  shouldn't be a problem.  4 points by Sheraton is fine and close.  Shuttle comes frequently.  Quite a few others on Century Bl. will also check the boxes. 

I've stayed at the Custom Hotel. Nice enough  Shuttle was fine.  It's on the lower end of your budget.  It's next door to a Ralph's Supermarket, so convenient for grabbing a bottle of wine, snacks, etc.    https://www.customhotel.com/offers/breakfast-on-us/

• Like 1

Sounds like you just need a decent place to crash.  Pick a hotel that also does LAX parking, and it will vastly increase the number of shuttles.  Crown Plaza or the Marriott and you can't go wrong.

I’d just read that on another review, I think that’s a great call. And yes we likely won’t get there until close to midnight and will just want a shower/tv/good bed and quiet room...just no way will we be in the mood to repeat our last Asia trip so I’m putting a big priority on having responsive shuttles.

Insanely for an airport its size, LAX does not have a hotel right at the airport like so many other major international airports do.

Because of the shuttle situation, I always do the Hilton.  If the Hilton bus isn't right there, you can use the Hertz bus, the Parking Spot bus, or the Spectrum Parking bus--they're all right next door to one another.

And there's a Carl's Jr. right next door.  And I do love me a western bacon cheeseburger after a long flight.

Orlando has a Hyatt Regency right in the airport.  I've done that before, and it's fine.  If you're an airplane geek, some of the rooms have nice views of the Southwest gates and the Delta gates (and Runway 17R past that).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Insanely for an airport its size, LAX does not have a hotel right at the airport like so many other major international airports do.
Because of the shuttle situation, I always do the Hilton.  If the Hilton bus isn't right there, you can use the Hertz bus, the Parking Spot bus, or the Spectrum Parking bus--they're all right next door to one another.
And there's a Carl's Jr. right next door.  And I do love me a western bacon cheeseburger after a long flight.
Orlando has a Hyatt Regency right in the airport.  I've done that before, and it's fine.  If you're an airplane geek, some of the rooms have nice views of the Southwest gates and the Delta gates (and Runway 17R past that).

Booked. Prices dropped quite a bit since I last looked. Thanks.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:35 AM, Ghost of LL said:

That's because it's a shithole. Great place to land when you get payed by the minute though. You can't get to your gate because only 1 plane can fit in the alley at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hilton was ok, thanks for the rec. shuttles were on time which was the key element, though the rooms definitely need some refreshing given the price. It certainly got the job done, which was overnight sleep and food.

Flying out of T4 on AA was great, arrived from AUS right across from our international departure gate and super fast access to the Flagship lounge. Surprisingly the J cabin on the AA 77W was a more pleasant experience given the bedding, PJs, and overall fresher seat than the CX 77G we flew back on...which didn’t offer bedding for the seat, just a blanket...plus flying back into the Tom Bradley terminal just sucks, then again so does transferring in HKG despite both being avgeek heaven.

Crazily we had an apparently terminally ill dude flying from LAX to HKG just to die at home...they had to close a lav after the guy vomited blood all over it three times. There were two onboard docs giving an IV to him in the J cabin when I got up to piss a few hours before arrival. They ushered us out door L1 while still waiting for paramedics. Purser said it was the rare occasion he really earned his salary, noting we almost diverted to Beijing but given we had a tight window at HKG to get on our KA flight to HKT am really glad we didn’t.

For another thread but Thailand was absolutely amazing. Kao Ya Noi and Krabi were heaven, wish we had time for Bangkok but had to get home to relieve the sitter. I’ve been all over the Philippines, Malaysia, India, Bali, Europe, Mexico, El Salvador and lived in Turkey but I’m not sure any of those are as beautiful as the scenery across the bay in Thailand.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:05 AM, Homercles said:

Flying out of T4 on AA was great, arrived from AUS right across from our international departure gate and super fast access to the Flagship lounge. Surprisingly the J cabin on the AA 77W was a more pleasant experience given the bedding, PJs, and overall fresher seat than the CX 77G we flew back on...which didn’t offer bedding for the seat, just a blanket...plus flying back into the Tom Bradley terminal just sucks, then again so does transferring in HKG despite both being avgeek heaven.

I flew back on the same AA flight in January. They've really stepped up their business class game on flights to Asia.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:01 AM, Gil Bang said:

Pro tip: anybody flying out of Bradley can clear security much faster through terminal 4. There’s a walkway that leads to Bradley gates inside 4.

Great tip.

On 3/5/2019 at 7:44 AM, Gil Bang said:

There’s an app called “spot hero”. I just got 2 days covered valet at LAX Sheraton Gateway for 24 bucks

Oh yeah...quoting myself.  I forgot to update before.

So, when the plane landed, it had rained (tarmac was damp) but it wasn't raining.   When I got on the shuttle to the garage, it wasn't raining.  When I gave the valet my ticket, and they pulled it around, it was wet.  Covered spot my ass.   It didn't register with me (tired after 2 long flights in 2 days) but I realized it after I was on Century headed for the 405.

Anyway, I called the app's customer service number and told them what happened.  They credited me 50% and said that they would raise hell with the parking garage.