Traffic ticket lawyer rec - Montgomery County?

Wife supposedly ran a red light and collided with another vehicle.  She can't say for certain whether she did; she was still sort of in shock when I got to the scene and even afterwards can't remember any of the detail prior to her braking before impact.  She had a speeding ticket dismissed through deferred adjudication w/ defensive driving in Magnolia back in December, so I'm pretty sure she's still in her probationary period.  I'm guessing we'd need a lawyer to try to move the court dates back and/or get the charges reduced to a non-moving violation to prevent her from getting points on her license.  She'd gone about 10 years without an accident or moving violation before this shit happened.

Anyone have someone they would recommend in this case?  I've previously had a bs failure to yield to emergency vehicle charged dropped through my own representation at JP3, but it's a new judge now and this charge is much more likely to cause continued financial suffering.

TIA

No, the cop didn't witness the action.  No bystanders hung around and gave statements either.

None of it makes sense to me, given that it was 11:45ish during the day at a busy intersection.  I don't know how only 2 cars could have met in that intersection at that time; there should be enough traffic that it would have likely caused a bigger pile-up.

The lawyer we hired is a former prosecutor for Mont. County.  He said that once we have a letter from our insurance stating that they are covering all of the damages, that is often enough to get the court to dismiss the charges.  I hope he's right.

12 hours ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Pics of your Asian wife? 

Sicilian, with rampant ADHD.  Plus period brain fog.  She thinks I'm being an ass by guilting her, but this could have been much, much worse for both parties.  Driving is a priviledge, and she needs to treat her time operating that vehicle with the appropriate level of attention and awareness.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

No, the cop didn't witness the action.  No bystanders hung around and gave statements either.

None of it makes sense to me, given that it was 11:45ish during the day at a busy intersection.  I don't know how only 2 cars could have met in that intersection at that time; there should be enough traffic that it would have likely caused a bigger pile-up.

The lawyer we hired is a former prosecutor for Mont. County.  He said that once we have a letter from our insurance stating that they are covering all of the damages, that is often enough to get the court to dismiss the charges.  I hope he's right.

If the cop didn't witness it, and there were no witnesses, I don't see how the state makes a case.  Even if there were witnesses, theyd have to testify live and I doubt they would subpoena them.  Did the cops do some kind of accident reconstruction?  Or examine the light timing or something?

People always think a police report is some kind of definitive winner in car accidents, and, unless the cop saw it, it's just a piece of probably pretty dubious evidence of what happened and who is at fault.

Yeah,  my wife was in the 2nd lane from the right in a 6 lane feeder and hit the rear quarter panel of the vehicle the would have already crossed the previous 4 lanes.  So either that person got a hell of a jump off the light and/or my wife was WAY too late for the light, but in the second circumstance, it seems that there likely would have been someone else in that busy street who would have been on the accident without a chance to avoid it.  It's just too busy of an intersection for someone to run a red light and only cause a 2 car accident at that time of the day (i.e. lunch time).

4 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Sicilian, with rampant ADHD.  Plus period brain fog.  She thinks I'm being an ass by guilting her, but this could have been much, much worse for both parties.  Driving is a priviledge, and she needs to treat her time operating that vehicle with the appropriate level of attention and awareness.

Sicilian huh? That's a spicy meat a ball! 

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

christopher walken what GIF

I love that scene.  Iconic in cinematic lore, but really just tacit dig by Tarantino at how fucking stupid Italians are.  They go through the whole charade, kill somebody, expose themselves to arrest as 5 sharp dressed wops leave a shithole trailer in railyard in broad daylight.  All because before Hopper came home, none of them thought to read the words written on the refrigerator in the 300 square foot trailer.  Anyway, WuLaw Horn is a good attorney in that part of the State.  

On 3/15/2019 at 4:27 PM, hopkinsnhorns said:

Wife supposedly ran a red light and collided with another vehicle.  She can't say for certain whether she did; she was still sort of in shock when I got to the scene and even afterwards can't remember any of the detail prior to her braking before impact.  She had a speeding ticket dismissed through deferred adjudication w/ defensive driving in Magnolia back in December, so I'm pretty sure she's still in her probationary period.  I'm guessing we'd need a lawyer to try to move the court dates back and/or get the charges reduced to a non-moving violation to prevent her from getting points on her license.  She'd gone about 10 years without an accident or moving violation before this shit happened.

Anyone have someone they would recommend in this case?  I've previously had a bs failure to yield to emergency vehicle charged dropped through my own representation at JP3, but it's a new judge now and this charge is much more likely to cause continued financial suffering.

TIA

Hope this all works out.

Is your wife ok? Two incidents relatively close together might be a sign of something. Hope not.

Speeding ticket was the result of a speed trap in Plantersville/Magnolia.  That shit can happen to anyone.  This one probably had more to do with her not taking her ADHD medicine that morning, exacerbated by period brain fog and the distraction of trying to find a solution to a problem in her private company software.  She should have known better than to let her work distract her from driving, but she didn't and saw the result of that distraction.

We just got her car back this morning and it looks great.  She had some previous fender damage from a week after she got the car as she rubbed a parking bollard at a gas station while avoiding a leaf-blower guy in the parking lot.  The shop fixed that up as well for a little extra money.  All in all, the deductible + extra damage fix costed less than what I had previously had quoted for just the fender damage.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:47 PM, hopkinsnhorns said:

Yeah.  I'm not saying my wife didn't miss it.  I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around how that all could have gone down in the way that it did.  I wish we had the video from the intersection.

It'll make more sense if you accept that your wife was probably fucking with her phone and ran the red light because she wasn't paying attention.  If your insurance company is covering everything, it means they think she is at fault.  If the other party has a story that makes sense and you wife can't remember what happened(which they will find fishy, legit or not), they don't have much of a choice.

Edited by kevwun