What knee ligament is this?

Not sure exactly what you are referencing but I once dislocated my patella.  Ortho dude popped it back in/over and worked on my leg for about  10-15 minutes checking the bend of my knee, listening to the joint, feeling it as he bent my leg, etc.  (this was 30+ years ago)  

• Therapy:  he had me stick my knee 5 minutes in ice water, 5 minutes in jacuzzi(hot water), repeat for 30 or so minutes starting and ending in cold.

Most importantly, he gave me knee joint tightening exercises to strengthen the muscles that hold your knee together:

Exercise he described: 

• sit on the edge of a couch, table, or chair with your leg supported till just before your knee.
  • with one leg sticking straight out from the table/chair and the other relaxed,
  • drop the leg from straight down by about 15 degrees.
  • (180 deg being straight, 195 deg dropped 15 off straight)
  • then bring it up to straight(180) and hold the muscle tight
  • drop it 15 degrees and then bring straight and hold it tight

(when fully straight you should feel the muscle on the inner upper part  next to your patella bulging a bit and moreso as you get it stronger)

• Repeat 15-20 times doing each leg after your set of 15-20.

Do this morning and night with the cold/hot treatments one cycle daily till any swelling is gone.

If doing squats, never let your injured leg bend past 90 degrees when you are doing them.

I didn't have to have surgery.  Was good to go  after about 2 weeks in a splint, 4 weeks total.  

Good luck. 

Edited by zork

Prob not ACL.  I've had a reconstruction in both knees.  ACL is dead middle/center of knee.  As a matter of fact, the first one I blew out was on West Campus preparing for the all-important intramural football game of the week.  This was before the Intertrons.  I went to the ER and was told nothing was broken.  A couple of days later, my knee felt perfectly fine.  I went up for another catch and SNAP.   Blew it out even further if that's possible.  Doc ended up telling my mom it was one of the worst ACL injuries he'd ever seen that wasn't a result of something like a car crash.  

Point being, I didn't have lateral pain in either knee before or after surgery.  (Back then - 90's - they'd wait a month before surgery in order to get the knee swelling down.)

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
I've been drinking and can't make sense of what I'm trying to say.

LCL outside. MCL inner. ACL behind the kneecap (you'll know for sure if this one goes as pain associated with loud pop. Did mine (L) in 2011 with surgery after) PCL is behind the knee. Also popping but can get away without having it, should it go. Did that one in 2005 (L)and did not have surgery.

As HehateMe said, most likely some type of impingement or possibly/maybe a meniscus issue.  RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) is always good. If it continues, see a Doc. While good advice, not everyone is immediately going to give you/schedule an MRI.