Sam Adams/ Dogfish head Merge

AUS-97HORN

I guess this is better news than INBev or   SABMiller getting either of them.... but this also opens up the possibility that one of those companies just does a single hostile takeover now

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/09/business/boston-beer-company-dogfish-head-merger/index.html

One of the biggest US craft brewing companies is bringing another beer heavyweight into its fold.

The Boston Beer Company (SAM) — makers of the Samuel Adams beer brand and the second largest craft brewer in the United States — and Delaware-based brewer Dogfish Head Craft Brewery said Thursday that they plan to merge the companies in a deal valued at more than $300 million.
Dogfish Head founder Sam Calagione and his family will receive around 406,000 shares of Boston Beer Company, valued at $314.60 a share. Additionally, Dogfish Head shareholders are set to receive $173 million in cash.
Dave Burwick, the CEO of Boston Beer Company, will lead the merged company.

It’s an interesting synergy in that the Dogfish crew will be paid nicely, but not truly selling out to an industry titan.  It protects their brand, while also protecting their integrity to an extent.   SAM is more we’ll-regraded than the ABInbevs and SABMillers of the world.   

I like this this a lot better than what some of the others have done.  Wish they’d have stayed independent, but good for the Calagione family 

5 hours ago, heso said:

Maybe I’ll be able to find 120 Minute with more regularity now. 

It's always in stock at our local convenience store. Now if I can get it in a six pack, that would be great.

SAM has been struggling lately relying on their "other" brands like Angry Orchard to be money makers.    Will be interesting to see if they continue to acquire.

Either way, they really can't call themselves a craft brewery anymore unless they can get the rules changed.  Again. 

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

SAM has been struggling lately relying on their "other" brands like Angry Orchard to be money makers.    Will be interesting to see if they continue to acquire.

Either way, they really can't call themselves a craft brewery anymore unless they can get the rules changed.  Again. 

Showing my age.... I recall when SAM was introduced around these parts.   A college classmate was working at a  liquor store and I stopped by to pick up some class notes or something and he's opening up a case to put on the shelf and he's like hey man, you have to try this.... Good stuff, blah, blah.  

Meh....  It was alright. 

I like a lot of SAM’s beers actually.   Before the craft brewery age exploded, you could go to a town and roll into a place that served Sam and it’s offerings, then ask if they had local offerings that were similar.  Sam was always a good barometer 

I remember when Sam had to package their Cream Stout (surprisingly good for the era) as Cream Stealth here do to the asinine Texas laws that forbid the sale of beers of a certain style above a certain alcohol content. They had radio ads with Jim Cook mocking the fact, and how it was a beer so good they had to change the name to sell it in Texas or something like that.