Let’s talk about 6 baby, Let’s talk about 2019-2020 LFC

Firemans4Horn

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Seeing that Liverpool wants to go with Nike for their kits but New Balance has the right to match Nike's offer. New Balance plans to match it but Liverpool wants Nike's global distribution network which New Balance can't offer. 

Go NB!  

I love this man.  Great article.

The beautiful thing about football is that you can’t do anything alone. Anything, believe me. 

Unfortunately, the most incredible moment in the history of the Champions League … I didn’t actually see it. Maybe this is a good metaphor for the life of a football manager, I don’t know. But I completely missed Trent Alexander-Arnold’s moment of pure genius. 

I saw the ball go out for a corner. 

I saw Trent walking over to take it. I saw Shaqiri following him. 

But then I turned my back because we were preparing to make a substitution. I was talking to my assistant, and … you know, I have goose bumps every time I think about it … I just heard the noise. 

I turned to the pitch and I saw the ball flying into the goal. 

I turned back to our bench and looked at Ben Woodburn, and he said, “What just happened?!” 

And I said, “I have no idea!” 

Anfield was going — boof — absolutely crazy. I could barely hear my assistant, and he was yelling, “So … do we still make the substitute?” 

Hahahaha! I will never forget him saying that! That will always be with me. 

Can you imagine? Eighteen years as a manager, millions of hours watching this game, and I missed the cheekiest thing that has ever happened on a football pitch. Since that night, I have probably watched the video of Divock’s goal 500,000 times. But in person, I only saw the ball hit the net. 

When I got to my little boot room after the match, I didn’t even have a sip of beer. I didn’t need it. I sat there with a bottle of water in silence, just smiling. It was a feeling that I cannot describe in words. When I got back home, my family and friends were all staying over at our house, and everyone was in a big party mood. But I was so emotionally exhausted that I went up to bed by myself. My body and mind were completely empty. 

I had the best sleep of my life. 

The best moment was waking up the next morning and realizing, “It’s still true. It really happened.” 

For me, football is the only thing more inspiring than the cinema. You wake up in the morning, and the magic was all real. You actually knocked down Drago. It really happened. 

I have been thinking about this since June, when we took the Champions League trophy around the streets of Liverpool. I have no words that can describe the emotions of that day. We were riding in the bus, and every time we thought the parade had to be over — that there could not possibly be any more people in the city of Liverpool — we would turn a corner and the parade would go on. Absolutely unreal. If you could’ve put all the emotions, all the excitement, all the love in the air that day and bottled it up, the world would be a better place.

I have not been able to get the emotion of that day out of my head. Football has given me everything in my life. But I really want to do more to give back to the world. Easy for me to say, O.K. sure. But how do you actually make a difference? 

Over the past year, I’ve been really inspired by seeing Juan Mata, Mats Hummels, Megan Rapinoe, and so many other footballers join the Common Goal movement. If you don’t know about the work they’re doing, it’s incredible. More than 120 players have pledged 1% of their earnings to empower football NGOs around the world. They’ve already helped support youth football programs in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Cambodia, India, Colombia, the U.K., Germany and many other countries. 

This isn’t just something for the richest footballers in the world. An entire starting 11 from the Canadian women’s national team has joined the cause. Footballers have joined from Japan, Australia, Scotland, Kenya, Portugal, England, Ghana…. How can you not feel inspired by this? This is what football is all about. 

I just want to be a part of this. So I’m pledging 1% of my yearly salary to Common Goal, and I hope that many, many more people in the football world will join me. 

Let’s be honest, guys. We are extremely fortunate. It is our responsibility as privileged people to give something back to children all over the world who just need a chance in life. 

We should not forget what it was like when we had real problems. This bubble we live in is not the real world. I am sorry, but anything that happens on a football pitch is not a real problem. There should be a bigger purpose to this game than revenue and trophies, no? 

Just think what we could accomplish if we all came together and gave 1% of what we earn to make a positive difference in the world. Maybe I am naive. Maybe I am a crazy old dreamer. 

But who is this game for? 

We all know damn well that this game is for dreamers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

tenor.gif

To me it's the £ first and everything else second.  I'm not a fan of the generic Nike kits.  We can look just like Chelsea/Spurs/B&H.  PLus the shoes are too narrow.

If the money's the same, I'd prefer to be the big team opposed to another in the line.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, pied said:

To me it's the £ first and everything else second.  I'm not a fan of the generic Nike kits.  We can look just like Chelsea/Spurs/B&H.  PLus the shoes are too narrow.

If the money's the same, I'd prefer to be the big team opposed to another in the line.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

NB doesn't give us near the distribution Network or access to athletes Nike does. It's not just about the top line number. So go Nike!

5 minutes ago, maninblack said:

NB doesn't give us near the distribution Network or access to athletes Nike does. It's not just about the top line number. So go Nike!

Let me admit, I'm not certain what the distribution network means, assuming more stores, correct?  Access to athletes?  Have we not signed someone becuase of our kit sponsor?  That sounds more like a sound bite to me than a true issue but would certainly like to see the impact.  I think I did read that those players who represent Nike might receive less because of a club deal, but that or I could be wrong.

It's a ridiculous discussion. Should LFC be partnered with a massive global brand or a local US regional brand? FSG did a deal with the local townies when they bought because we were trotting out Stewart Downing type players. Now we're UCL champions again with an inside line on the EPL. Time to let our nuts hang.

6 hours ago, maninblack said:

It's a ridiculous discussion. Should LFC be partnered with a massive global brand or a local US regional brand? FSG did a deal with the local townies when they bought because we were trotting out Stewart Downing type players. Now we're UCL champions again with an inside line on the EPL. Time to let our nuts hang.

In 2019, Liverpool with NB were the top selling shirt in the UK.

https://www.givemesport.com/1500508-premier-league-and-football-league-clubs-ranked-by-their-201920-jersey-sales

In 2018, LIverpool were # behind three Adidas (#1 manu, #2 RM, and #3 BM) and one Nike (#4 Barca) kit manufacturer.  City was #10 on the list with Nike, but switched to Puma.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/04/2018-top-10-best-selling-football-kits.html

I get Nike is a bigger brand, but I'm a fan.  The amount of incremental money received by clubs for kit sales in relatively small.  This is an article talking about jersey sales not compensating for transfer fees, using the example of Zlatan at manu, but the numbers translate I think.

Let’s also assume that united’s royalty kicks in after three million shirts are sold, and the club receive a 15% royalty on each subsequent shirt sold. Assuming a price of £70 per shirt, that’s an additional £21m in gross sales from 300,000 shirts. manchester united’s cut of that would be just over £3m. Now, £3m is not an insignificant amount, but it offsets less than 20% of what Ibrahimovic will likely cost the club this season (wages, agent fee, signing bonus, image rights deal).

So, at best, united are likely to see around £3m in additional revenue. While certainly not a paltry sum, it doesn’t come close to covering his costs, let alone help United earn an additional £50m. Put simply, there’s a reason why Adidas has earned more in the last six months than manchester united, one of the highest-earning football clubs in the world, has earned in its 138-year existence.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

Using the '17-'18 sales of 1.67M jersey, and not taking into account that that number certainly increased last season, and further assuming (which is almost certainly not possible) that Nike's global distribution network nearly doubled our sales to united's of 3.25M, our net increase in revenue is ~£16.5M.  

Clearly our sales number is higher w/NB last season, obviously we are not going to sell the same number as manu in year 1, and I think it's safe to say no one would attribute our ~doubling jersey sales to being with Nike opposed to NB, and the yearly amount of money in the craziest scenario is ~£16.5M.

Taking those factors, I'd say the increase would likely be closer to ~£4-£5M/year and the guess as how much is due to better distribution is up for debate.

In the end, as I've said all along, go with the better money.  All of that even, give me NB.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:53 AM, pied said:

Kelleher

Hoever Gomez Lovren Van der Berg

Keita Lallana Milner Oxlade Chamberlain

Brewster

That's all I got.

Wasn;t that far off

Kelleher

Hoever Gomez Lovren Milner

Keita Lallana Milner Oxlade Chamberlain

Brewster Jones Elliot

Here's the description from the Echo:

Elliott hits the bar again!!

As we enter the first of three added minutes, the 17-year-old cut inside from the left and curled a beauty with his weaker right foot which slammed against the bar and away to safety. So unlucky for the youngster who can be proud of his first senior game for Liverpool and deserved a goal to show for it.