Annibal and Asdrubal

idahorn

Spent the last two weeks on a road trip to Texas, so I've been out of touch with my 'puter. As a result I have no idea if anyone, anywhere, has mentioned the incredible coincidence that both a pitcher and a second baseman for the Washington Nationals have names astonishing close to two Carthaginian generals famous during the Second Punic War with Rome.  Hannibal Barca ran up and down the Italian boot for a decade, defeating the Romans at Lake Trasimene and Cannae (most famously); then lost to Scipio Africaus at the Battle of Zama near Carthage (North Africa).  Hannibal's brother, Hasdrubal, was left in charge of the Carthaginian forces in Spain while his brother was in Italy.  The Romans captured and killed Hasdrubal and notified Hannibal of this by throwing Hasdrubal's severed head into Hannibal's camp one night.  I half expected an outfielder named "Amilcar" to show up for the Nats.  Hamilcar Barca was the father of both Hannibal and Hasdrubal.

Edited by idahorn
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, idahorn said:

Spent the last two weeks on a road trip to Texas, so I've been out of touch with my 'puter. As a result I have no idea if anyone, anywhere, has mentioned the incredible coincidence that both a pitcher and a second baseman for the Washington Nationals have names astonishing close to two Carthaginian generals famous during the Second Punic War with Rome.  Hannibal Barca ran up and down the Italian boot for a decade, defeating the Romans at Lake Trasimene and Cannae (most famously); then lost to Scipio Africaus at the Battle of Zama near Carthage (North Africa).  Hannibal's brother, Hasdrubal, was left in charge of the Carthaginian forces in Spain while his brother was in Italy.  The Romans captured and killed Hasdrubal and notified Hannibal of this by throwing Hasdrubal's severed head into Hannibal's camp one night.  I half expected an outfielder named "Amilcar" to show up for the Nats.  Hamilcar Barca was the father of both Hannibal and Hasdrubal.

Also, the classic's had an "H." The Nat's players have no "H." Houston starts with an "H." creepy. 

23 hours ago, idahorn said:

Sure, you're about the 4000th person to point that out.  I believe Frank Thomas even brought it up in the postgame show.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, idahorn said:

Gozer the Traveler! He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the Rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Traveler came as a large and moving Torb! Then, during the Third Reconciliation of the Last of the Meketrex Supplicants, they chose a new form for him, that of a giant Sloar! Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of a Sloar that day, I can tell you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Gozer the Traveler! He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the Rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Traveler came as a large and moving Torb! Then, during the Third Reconciliation of the Last of the Meketrex Supplicants, they chose a new form for him, that of a giant Sloar! Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of a Sloar that day, I can tell you!

Yeah, what he said.