2022 G Rowan Brumbaugh

Teryor

On 12/31/2021 at 12:43 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

CAn he shoot the rock? I want a pg that pushes the tempo and can pull up in transition and hit the three.

I 

I want, I want someone to set a pick for me at the free-throw line of life

Someone I can pass to

Someone to hit the open man on the give-and-go

And not end up in the popcorn machine

Edited by TexasTroll

On 12/31/2021 at 12:43 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

CAn he shoot the rock? I want a pg that pushes the tempo and can pull up in transition and hit the three.

When was the last time we Had a player who could do that??? AJ Abrams jumps out to me but he wasn’t a PG 

On 1/4/2022 at 7:35 PM, D3zii said:

When was the last time we Had a player who could do that??? AJ Abrams jumps out to me but he wasn’t a PG 

BJ Tyler, Travis Mays, Terrence Rencher, TJ Ford, DJ Aug could all handle the ball like a PG and score it.  Coleman was spotty, Jacovan Brown inconsistent, both are more recent, but not in the class of the previous guys. Doge Balbay had his moments, but we havent had a pure stud PG since DJ imo.

Edited by jdhorn92

Doge Balbay had his moments, but we havent had a pure stud PG since DJ imo.

Rowan looks the part, lets hope he is in the vein of Mcclung from Gtown, then Tech, he owned us for like 4-5 games in a row.

Colonel Rowan from Hubbard's Message to Garcia is a military legend who is credited with saving Cuba by getting a note in an oilskin pouch to the leader of the insurgents.   Mckinley asked for a volunteer and Rowan stepped up.  Great , short read about leadership and initiative that should be in every salesman's library.  CSB.

50 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

BJ Tyler, Travis Mays, Terrence Rencher, TJ Ford, DJ Aug could all handle the ball like a PG and score it.  Coleman was spotty, Jacovan Brown inconsistent, both are more recent, but not in the class of the previous guys. Doge Balbay had his moments, but we havent had a pure stud PG since DJ imo.

Mays and Brown were 2 guards

4 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Doge Balbay had his moments, but we havent had a pure stud PG since DJ imo.

Rowan looks the part, lets hope he is in the vein of Mcclung from Gtown, then Tech, he owned us for like 4-5 games in a row.

Colonel Rowan from Hubbard's Message to Garcia is a military legend who is credited with saving Cuba by getting a note in an oilskin pouch to the leader of the insurgents.   Mckinley asked for a volunteer and Rowan stepped up.  Great , short read about leadership and initiative that should be in every salesman's library.  CSB.

Dogus Balbay shot 40% or less on layups, and his shooting percentage went down precipitously as he moved further from the basket. I doubt he made more than 5 3-pointers in his career.

He was an amazing defender, but many other deficiencies.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

In the 70’s, both Dan Krueger and Jim Krivacs were outstanding point guards and outside shooters.

Krivacs may be the greatest outside shooter to play in Austin.  Had he played with a 3 point line he would have averaged close to 40 points per game.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/9/2022 at 12:18 PM, jdhorn92 said:

Isaiah Taylor couldn't really shoot the 3 consistently, but he pushed the hell out of the rock and was decent scorer from the PG position. 

On 1/9/2022 at 12:18 PM, jdhorn92 said:

Always felt like Joey Wright was a lot better handling the ball than Travis Mays.  While Travis was great on a fast break, he was much better coming off of a pick and shooting the ball -- Wright was a better point guard imo...

10 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

An unassuming assassin. But an assassin nonetheless. 

Krivacs had crazy range. He was sometimes able to get open to shoot when his opponent failed to realize he would shoot from THAT far out. 

But, I believe he was a "2", to Johnny Moore's "1".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sawbones said:

Krivacs had crazy range. He was sometimes able to get open to shoot when his opponent failed to realize he would shoot from THAT far out. 

But, I believe he was a "2", to Johnny Moore's "1".

Johnny Moore was the point guard #00, Jim Krivacs was a shooting guard #11

thumbnail_1977-78+Longhorns+SWC+NIT+Cham

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Old Article...

4-star PG Rowan Brumbaugh commits to Texas

Wescott Eberts  12/31/2021

Head coach Chris Beard and the Texas Longhorns added another key piece to the 2022 recruiting class on Thursday with the commitment of Northfield (Mass.) Mount Hermon point guard Rowan Brumbaugh.

The 6’4, 180-pounder picked up his offer from Texas in July, but opted to pledge to Northwestern in late October. On Dec. 27, however, Brumbaugh decommitted from the Wildcats before quickly shutting down his recruitment once again.

Brumbaugh held nearly 30 total offers, including Kansas, and took official visits to Georgetown and Wisconsin.

Here’s the scouting report on Brumbaugh from Jerry Meyer of 247Sports:

Has positive length and strength for the point guard position. Not a leaper and an average athlete in terms of explosiveness. But has tremendous feel for the game and the ability to change pace and direction. Manipulates the defense. Shoots the ball adequately from distance to keep defense honest. Uses his strength and body control to score in midrange. Handles the ball extremely well and is a top of the line passer who can deliver the ball with timing and accuracy with either hand. Rebounds his position well. A solid defender but doesn’t have a big defensive presence. Not necessarily a disruptor on that end. Has a tremendous overall feel for the game.

A consensus four-star prospect, Brumbaugh is ranked as the No. 85 player nationally and the No. 11 point guard, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. He joins guard Arterio Morris and forward Dillon Mitchell in the 2022 Texas recruiting class.