Club car racing

troph

Anyone do it? I’m considering entry level vintage racing - formula ford stuff. It doesn’t seem to have a huge following but looks like a blast. Probably a spectator this year once, maybe volunteer next year for track monitoring then jump in the year after?  anyone else do this stuff?

Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing (CVAR) is here in Texas - touts 350 members (that’s it) - they have races in north Texas (eagles canyon), oklahoma (Hallet), COTA here in Austin, and you can race the famous tracks too like Laguna Seca, road America, Sebring, watkins glen, etc. entry for a formula ford is pretty low, $25k looks like. Lots of ways to be budget minded too. My biggest concern is having friends to do it with and I guess you make them as you go but I don’t know anyone that would be into it. One guy actually but he’s my ex-wife’s best friend’s husband so he’s not possible (plus he races late model mustangs). I’m probably going to go to nationals which are at COTA in November and check it out.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

The pink adds 5mph.

I started off doing DE's awhile ago at most of the Texas tracks.  That elevated into racing Spec Boxsters last year with PCA.  Driving that car, especially in a race, is the most fun thing, at least for me, you can do with your clothes on.  The spec fords are pretty cool too and you will definitely meet plenty of cool people at the track.

I would recommend to check out the spec boxsters though especially if you are in Texas.  The competition is very tough, the cars are reasonable (range from 30k-60k), and they are a blast to drive.  Texas has a huge showing in this class too especially if you can run at Cresson. 

Whatever you do, check out the costs of the consumables and frequently replaced parts.  That is by far a bigger expense that just the car. 

• Like 1

I mention vintage FF bc I’m familiar with the gearboxes - hewland and MK9 - and I’m drawn to the strategy of choosing gear sets for the specific track. The cost of dog rings and gears isn’t cheap but the FF is about the cheapest across the board for open wheel vintage and parts are generally easy to source. I’m intrigued by the bmw, Porsche and other ones like that too though. Seems like FF is popular enough but I guess I’ll find out at the track

I did PCA for many years.  Drove GT3's and Turbos for about 10 years.  Met some really fun people.  The happy hours and dinners were almost as much fun as the driving.  I lost a motor at TWS and one at TMS and that took the fun out of driving.  When my daughter(no pic) turned 16, she started DEs and campaigned a 3 series BMW until she graduated from college.  No telling how many sets of tires and brakes I put on that car.  She kept her numbers, racing tires and helmet in the car at all times.  She got a lot of street cred in the parking lots.  

• Like 2

Impressive to blow the motor on a P car. Money shift?   

DE is a drivers education event.  It’s where a lot of people start this drug.  You drive around a track with other people in your own cars under pretty structured rules.  I.e. no passing without a point.  No passing in corners etc.  you can check out www.thedrivers edge.net.  It’s pretty popular in Texas.  Or if you want to run COTA, there is one called edge addicts that runs there a lot. 

Ah thanks. I used to be close to club racing but never did it, it’s how I learned about the sport and those transaxles. I was thinking of going to driving school at Hallett or something else. The DEs might be cool, I’ll look into that

Not the money shift.  First was a twin turbo.  Lost the water pipe(common problem) on a hot summer day, running flat out and as hard as I could against the other guys in my run group.  Did not notice water temp gauge, did not notice check engine light, finally started losing power and looked down.  Temp gauge pegged, got too hot.  Second was the GT3.  Also the water pipe.  Junction came loose, sprayed coolant over rear tires, lost it in a turn, crashed and totaled.  So not technically an engine, but the engine's fault.  

Some fellow Spec Boxster drivers own Eagles Canyon and are doing good things to fix it up.  You also have MSR Cresson outside of Fort Worth in that area which is an excellent training track. That drivers edge posted above does DE’s at both of them in case anyone is interested.  

was gonna ask in the car fanatic thread if anyone had ever bought an actual race car.  formula fords aren't that expensive.  sure, you need a truck to take it to the track, but you shouldn't be driving your race-prepped GT3 to the track either.  and a formula ford with an engine out a fiesta will lap faster than the GT3 anyway. 

• Like 1

was gonna ask in the car fanatic thread if anyone had ever bought an actual race car.  formula fords aren't that expensive.  sure, you need a truck to take it to the track, but you shouldn't be driving your race-prepped GT3 to the track either.  and a formula ford with an engine out a fiesta will lap faster than the GT3 anyway. 

That’s why I want one - it really is the budget racer for open wheel. I think race ready for $30k is completely doable.

and with a lower flatter profile maybe more fun? I like the exposure to the open air too. Flipping one seems near impossible but spin outs happen so safe-ish? I’m certain I can be an aggressive driver but probably not that aggressive hence my thinking about vintage racing - it’s a more “gentleman” form or racing or so I’ve seen.

@RPM that track looks like a ton of fun!  CVAR races there at least twice a year.  Cresson X2 as well.  watching that video makes my heart race some!  not sure how I would get comfortable racing live with other cars but it looks exhilarating!

1 hour ago, troph said:

not sure how I would get comfortable racing live with other cars but it looks exhilarating!

You don't get comfortable, lol. That's the fun part. Not judging and just trying to help, people usually don't go from little or no track experience to jumping in a race car and racing.  There is usually a lot of prior track experience (DE's) or race schools with a lot of practice time.  Driving on the street vs. driving on the track vs. driving quickly on track vs. racing are all very different things.   

2 hours ago, Atxracer said:

You don't get comfortable, lol. That's the fun part. Not judging and just trying to help, people usually don't go from little or no track experience to jumping in a race car and racing.  There is usually a lot of prior track experience (DE's) or race schools with a lot of practice time.  Driving on the street vs. driving on the track vs. driving quickly on track vs. racing are all very different things.   

No judgment felt.  I’ve been a little coy here I do have experience with the costs of a lot of different race cars both vintage and SCCA (across the board) based on owning and running a race car engineering company for a few years and have been trackside at a few of the iconic courses like Road America and Laguna Seca.  Having been around enough cars I know which one I think I want to end up in.

what I’m trying to figure out is how I get there.  I definitely need to have more exposure and need to take some classes.  CVAR has them before races but I may go to a professional program too for the fun of it before I invest in a car.  The DE idea is intriguing too and maybe I should but the only car I have is my model S and (1) I don’t want to race it, and (2) I don’t know how EVs work on the tracks - I would expect to blow my battery stored energy out of the water in no time.  Incidentally I left the business about the time SAE programs were getting hot and heavy with EV programs in the schools. 

I imagine I’m 12-18 months from beginning the search for a car to buy and I’ve got a lot to do before I do that.

Just spit balling here I guess. 

That sounds reasonable. If you are dead set on what you want to end up in, I would go ahead and get it and then join Cresson or Harris hill and drive the crap out of it for awhile (from my biased experience, the Cresson crowd is more geared toward national racing and there is a lot of support there).  Along the way, I would engage Jason Hart or Erik Foss for some coaching.  Then, once you feel you are at least at the middle of the pack for who you are running against, start racing. 

• Like 1

That sounds reasonable. If you are dead set on what you want to end up in, I would go ahead and get it and then join Cresson or Harris hill and drive the crap out of it for awhile (from my biased experience, the Cresson crowd is more geared toward national racing and there is a lot of support there).  Along the way, I would engage Jason Hart or Erik Foss for some coaching.  Then, once you feel you are at least at the middle of the pack for who you are running against, start racing. 

Dead set is a bit strong but yeah I like vintage open wheel. Those are good ideas. I’m wondering if there is a good spot in Austin to start, I’ve seen driveway Austin wonder if that’s any good. I can join elsewhere too... lots to think about.

18 hours ago, troph said:

I’ve seen driveway Austin wonder if that’s any good.

To be honest, I have never really given Driveway Austin a chance.  But, I know several racers where that is their base so certainly would be worth looking at to see what they offer.  As you might have guessed, I’m pretty committed to Cresson for a lot of reasons. If you want to get the flavor, a half dozen of us rented it out next Wednesday for a test and tune.  Will be 4 spec boxsters, a race car R8 (I’m sure it has a more official name than that) and a car that used to be a Cayman and is now indescribable.  You are more than welcome to head up and watch/inquire. Alternatively, most thursdays and Fridays are member days where several open wheels show up.  You can head up there and chat with them anytime about the ins and outs.  Most everyone in this scene is friendly so you can just walk up and start talking.  

13 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

My wife just made me buy a cherry red Boxter. Picking it up in Dallas on Thurs. Might as well be a woman now...

I would feel like a woman too if I let my wife make me do something.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2018 at 3:27 PM, troph said:

He’s confusing womanhood with being a betacuck.

Possibly. It’s a certified chick car though. My son already scraped the front bumper learning to drive unbeknownst to her. Oops...

3e398e67ea11f691dfecb1c0300eb3a4.jpg

Edited by Spankytoes

So I’m in Dallas visiting an old friend and avid vintage racer ... he’s done FF and has a Formula Atlantic vintage race car.

4b521b3b367e1a6963017b1e0726cfc9.png

He’s won vintage championships and is a dear man to me. Anyway he’s offered to help. Finances permitting I’ll own the car next summer (2019) getting ready for the 2020 season.

More importantly, he’s already raced Carrera Panamericana once before and we talked about it years ago but he reaffirmed his desire to do it again and willingness to race with me. It’s been a dream for almost a decade to race this race. It’s a bucket list item among all bucket lists.

If you haven’t heard about it, this is it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrera_Panamericana

The history of this race is the definition of epic. It’s a race from the southern portion of Mexico to the US border. Best way to describe the modern version is a Tour de France for pseudo vintage nascar racing - cannonball run style. Here is the best part...

It remains a true, high-speed race (stage rally) mainly through the mountains, and as such, is extremely dangerous.
 He told stories of mescal and women and late nights in ancient Mexican towns along the way and hunting for parts and the hospitality of the locals and the support for the race and the pure enjoyment.

He wants to race to win.

So we talked about some training and a trial run through a typical race course in Mexico in the next year plus. I would co-pilot and he would drive.

Who knows but I would be sad if I didn’t do this before I die. Hopefully I do this in the next few years.

Next up though a few races and then my car. God willing, the creek don’t rise and my financial projects come through and I’m racing soon!!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...