2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

The Big 12 is loaded again. Looking like a 6-8 bid league.  

Outside of Oklahoma State and Baylor I think everyone has the potential to make tournament. 14/18 games in conference play could be against tournament teams. 

Top to bottom the big 12 has been the best conference for years. No cupcakes in this league. 

Edited by texasstrong12

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Big 12 is loaded again. Looking like a 6-8 bid league.  

Outside of Oklahoma State and Baylor I think everyone has the potential to make tournament. 14/18 games in conference play could be against tournament teams. 

Top to bottom the big 12 has been the best conference for years. No cupcakes in this league. 

I'd be worried if I was a WVU fan too. They have looked flat out bad at times and could have easily dropped to 1-3 against St. Joe's.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'd be worried if I was a WVU fan too. They have looked flat out bad at times and could have easily dropped to 1-3 against St. Joe's.

true but the benefit of the Big 12 is going 8-10 (heck even 7-11) in conference play might get you in the tournament. That's the benefit of playing a tournament type team almost every night. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Kansas has more depth and talent this year but no real identity.

I think this is a case of "depth" being overvalued especially in college basketball. Newman, Graham and Mykhailiuk fit that small ball system perfectly and they had an identity. You knew what Kansas was going to be every night. 

I'm not sure what this Kansas team wants to be. Do they want to be an inside/out team with Azubuike or a perimeter team with all these guards?

Edited by texasstrong12

36 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think this is a case of "depth" being overvalued especially in college basketball. Newman, Graham and Mykhailiuk fit that small ball system perfectly and they had an identity. You knew what Kansas was going to be every night. 

I'm not sure what this Kansas team wants to be. Do they want to be an inside/out team with Azubuike or a perimeter team with all these guards?

It's like we have the personnel to play the high-low but Bill forgot how to teach it since we haven't played it in 4 years or so.  Lawson should be ideal for the high post with his passing ability but he is just not finishing when he gets the chance.  Further, Garrett is god awful.  His defender just sags inside to take away the entry pass or his defender stays close to the hot Vick.  Having him on the court is like playing offense 4 on 6.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

They ultimately want to be inside out on offense and use athleticism on defense to run teams off the arc and scramble/cause turnovers.

They haven’t really figured either out yet, but it’s a long season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

8/10 teams are ranked in the top 50 in Kenpom. Oklahoma State and Baylor are ranked #53 and #56. 

Going to be an insanely tough conference schedule again. 

https://kenpom.com/

Big 12 rankings:

2.   Kansas

11. Texas Tech  

17. Kansas State

18. Iowa State

27. Texas

28. West Virginia

43. Oklahoma

49. TCU

53. Oklahoma State

56. Baylor

Edited by Uncle Nate

MEN
1. Big 12: 51-10 (.836)
2. ACC: 79-21 (.790)
3. Big Ten: 74-20 (.787)
4. Big East: 50-15 (.769)
5. Pac 12: 51-22 (.699)
6. SEC: 61-27 (.693)

WOMEN
1. Big 12: 47-10 (.825)
2. Pac 12: 58-15 (.795)
3. Big Ten: 63-19 (.768)
4. ACC: 77-26 (.748)
5. Big East: 40-18 (.690)
6. SEC: 62-29 (.681)

On 11/28/2018 at 11:18 AM, Brian Fantana said:

Baylor looked like shit again so that's cool

BlowU struggled with the mean green for a while

The only thing I'm certain of is Kansas is the best team in the Big 12 and Baylor is the worst. 

That North Texas team is actually pretty good so not surprising that OU struggled. 

Edited by texasstrong12

That was a really satisfying neutral court win. Hardaway had a great defensive plan for us and it really shook us up for the first 2/3 of that game. Really nice to see your team not give up and claw their way back into the game. That said, we can't have our guards be so careless with the ball early on against better teams.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Tech really playing like shit so far against Memphis. Sleepwalking on offense.

1-6 from 3, 3-7 from FT line, not gonna cut it in conference play.

Not the first slow start this year...

Beard is pretty decent at halftime.

Yesterday was fairly interesting:

• Tech turns a terrible start into a double digit neutral court win against the Hardaways
  • K-State gets run out of the gym by Marquette on the road
  • WVU beats up on a nobody
  • Baylor somehow only loses by 8 to WSU on the road after being down 44-15 at halftime
  • KU looks pedestrian at home vs. an objectively bad Stanford team

14 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

KU remembers that they're Kansas and pulls away to win by 25. They doubled up Wofford in the second half

OU beats Notre Dame at The Garden by 5

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Right on the money.  KU wins 47-72.  Hope you played the live lines.

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

Udoka Azubuike with an ankle injury against Wofford, out indefinitely.

Not a break and not a high ankle sprain.  Self saying he'll be out until about xmas.  Looks like we're going back to the 4 guard lineup.

40 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Right on the money.  KU wins 47-72.  Hope you played the live lines.

Not a break and not a high ankle sprain.  Self saying he'll be out until about xmas.  Looks like we're going back to the 4 guard lineup.

I haven't watched KU much this year yet, how big of a blow is this to the team overall? I recall last year he could be something of a liability at times depending on the other team's schemes.

Edited by Brian Fantana

27 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

What's the latest on Wiggington and Lard?

Lard's back.  Had some decent minutes Monday.  He looked a little lost, especially on offense, but played with good defensive intensity, lodging 2 blocks in his first two defensive possessions.

Not sure on Wigginton yet.  They aren't going to rush this injury.  Honestly, I don't think we need him to beat Iowa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

I haven't watched KU much this year yet, how big of a blow is this to the team overall? I recall last year he could be something of a liability at times depending on the other team's schemes.

I honestly don't know.  He is still a liability from the free throw line and we haven't had a very fluid offense this year because we are having trouble with a clogged lane trying to play 2 bigs again.  You never want to see someone who shoots 75% be kept off the floor, but we adjusted well even without Vick going off (he was 0-3).  I think it will force our guards to step up which could be a good thing to cull the rotation properly.  In a weird way, I'm hopeful he is out until conference play.  We go to ASU at the end of the month and Bobby Hurley has a tiny enough dick that he would put in a scrub and just foul Azibukie every time down the floor.  Bill has a big enough ego that he wouldn't take doke out if that was the case and we'd lose by 17.

We'll see, I have been underwhelmed by everyone on the team with the exception of Dotson (I didn't even think he'd start) and Vick (I didn't even think he would be let on the team).  It is time for other guys to either step up (grimes/garrett/mccormack) or to get more efficient (Dedric Lawson).  We are about to learn a lot about this team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Not much of one, really.  He's still a liability in all the same ways you remember from last year...especially the foul line and defending away from the basket.  We've also added the wrinkle of forcing the ball into him repeatedly on offense, which tends to bog the offense down.  I expect us to play smaller and look subjectively better, but we'll take a step backward on the glass.

• Like 1