atomheartbevo

Star Trek Discovery: Season 2 - It Got Good. Real Good. (Ep 1 inside)

Those of you with CBS All Access, check out the Short Treks, the Pike/Number One/Spock ones just made me yearn even more for that incarnation of Pike and Co.  Anson Mount is perfect.  Rebecca Romijn is perfect as Number One.  Ethan Peck was perfect.

Fuck Discovery, Somewhat Fuck Picard (jury still out for me), and Probably Fuck Section 31, given the melodramatics behind it.

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fuck Discovery, Somewhat Fuck Picard (jury still out for me), and Probably Fuck Section 31, given the melodramatics behind it.

Image result for why you mad tho gif

Season 2 of Discovery suffered from a weak story line and very few side plots. If they made it more episodic, and gave us more of the secondary characters, it woulda been so much better. The Pike series has a chance to do just that. Lotsa great characters to work with.

Agreed with the weak story line and few side plots, but I'd say the problem was more that they didn't know how to work with a serial than that they weren't episodic enough. Airiam is the easiest example, her actual intro and end shoehorned into too tight a space. In a better serial, e.g. Game of Thrones, her intro as more than a background character would have been in season 1 and the show runners would have been competent enough to make sure she got the occasional touch. Another example would be the end-of-the-David-Tennant-era, series-4-Doctor-Who level of campiness with all the goodbyes and dialoguing at the end of Season 2. Picard suffers from the same problem. After years of binging series, we don't need subplot lines wrapped up in neat, episodic bows. They can let the subplots stew and breathe over the course of a season (or seasons).

If TNG were being filmed today, Best of Both Worlds would take up most of a season.  I hope that a Pike series returns to the TOS or TNG attitudes of everything being mostly wrapped up by the end of the show, and/or with the occasional two-parter (or a background plot that doesn't dominate everything).

I think that Discovery and Picard, because of their nature and their weekly release, come across as a lot more....plodding along and just moving the plot a tiny bit.

If TNG were being filmed today, Best of Both Worlds would take up most of a season.  

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right.

I think that Discovery and Picard, because of their nature and their weekly release, come across as a lot more....plodding along and just moving the plot a tiny bit.

I'm 100% on board with Picard because the characters and story are better. It plods but everything else is rich enough it doesn't matter so much.

Will wait to watch until Strange New Worlds comes out, then will give it a shot.  And will give Lower Decks a shot then as well.

Season 2 had great characters and dialog and an terrible plot. Like pure garbage of a plot.

Season 3 puts them out on their own, unencumbered by any tie-ins to the current universe, similar to TOS or Voyager. We that TOS, and we'll probably get Voyager.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah fan of the characters...really get the anger at the story line.

I'm a fan in general of the CBS All Access Star Trek stuff but can't like that I'm super excited about Pike.

On 7/27/2020 at 1:09 PM, atomheartbevo said:

And will give Lower Decks a shot then as well.

100% trying to capture TNG fans with nostalgia, but using a cartoon series with Wiley Coyote/Roadrunner-levels of buffoonery.

Blatantly name-checked the major TNG Enterprise-D characters AND Spock and Wrath of Khan/Search for Spock.

It could have been funny, but it felt like it was written in 5 minutes.

And of course, Alex Kurtman's name was on it.

My CBS sub runs out a week from today, so will give it one more go, but not going to keep a subscription for it.  Will pick it back up when I sub for Strange New Worlds.

I watched it. The Orville exists and is way better. Hopefully the first episode was egregiously over-the-top because the writers haven't found their groove. Don't have much hope of that.

36 minutes ago, Apep said:

I watched it. The Orville exists and is way better. Hopefully the first episode was egregiously over-the-top because the writers haven't found their groove. Don't have much hope of that.

Exactly.  Don't have much hope, because it was just a series of gags strung together.  Minus the violence/gore, if you had told me this was the Star Trek animated series being done for Nickelodeon, I would have believed you, it was that simplistic and silly.

And they already blew the one big gag that could have been an actual story arc

Spoiler

The whole mother-daughter conflict.  If they had not revealed she was the Captain's daughter until later in the season, would have been more effective.

On 8/7/2020 at 3:36 PM, Apep said:

The Orville is so damn good

CBS is going to have to throw another freebie or it hit a torrent for me to see S3. It's okay, but not worth paying for.

49 minutes ago, RPM said:

CBS is going to have to throw another freebie or it hit a torrent for me to see S3. It's okay, but not worth paying for.

1. Wait for whole season to air

2. Sign up for a free trial by adding or removing a period in your gmail address

3. Binge it in 6 days