General San Francisco Thread

Gardner Barnes

Anyone have any good rec's for the South SF area?  Heading out to Cal Club for a weekend golf trip on Saturday and need a place for dinner Sunday night.  No food service on site Sunday and don't want to go all the way into the city if at all possible.

Edited by DDD Dad

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Anyone have any good rec's for the South SF area?  Heading out to Cal Club for a weekend golf trip on Saturday and need a place for dinner Sunday night.  No food service on site Sunday and don't want to go all the way into the city if at all possible.

They don’t call it the Industrial City for nothing. 

Nothing fancy, but there is a really good Jamaican place in South City called Flavas and a Pho place I like called Ben Tre.

I recently attended a friend's birthday dinner at the Basque Cultural Center. I left impressed.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know there is a scantily posted Monterey/Carmel thread, but I’m trolling for expert opinions that might not go there. 

I visit SF every 4-6 months to visit my adult daughter, her husband and growing family. They come in from the central region when we visit but this time she wanted us all to go to the Carmel area. I’ve never been. 

It will be 4 adults and a toddler. Any screaming recs on places to eat or see/do? Anything to avoid?

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I know there is a scantily posted Monterey/Carmel thread, but I’m trolling for expert opinions that might not go there. 

I visit SF every 4-6 months to visit my adult daughter, her husband and growing family. They come in from the central region when we visit but this time she wanted us all to go to the Carmel area. I’ve never been. 

It will be 4 adults and a toddler. Any screaming recs on places to eat or see/do? Anything to avoid?

Not a big fan of Monterrey proper, but there’s the whole Aquarium/ Cannery Row thing for kids. Pacific Grove is great - I believe @Hefeweizenwould be your local guide, but I like Passionfish a lot for their wine list. We’ve stayed at the Gosby and liked it.

We stay in Carmel, no favorite place in particular but we seem to end up at Vagabond and La Paya frequently. You’ve got Ocean Avenue and the beach for kids, but Carmel is quite literally an old money enclave. Lots of tasting rooms, boutiques and art galleries. We like Stationaery for brunch, Casanova for dinner (epic wine cellar) and Vesuvio for late night drinks (Barmel for late late night drinks). La Playa bar has a great sunset view. Chez Noir is the hot new spot with the James Beard nomination; have not been but have heard good things  

If you want to hit up a winery, Folktale is a great all-around experience just 15 or so minutes down Carmel Valley Road. 

Obviously, there’s tons of outdoors stuff. Point Lobos is just a few minutes south and, of course, there’s Big Sur. That can be a whole trip or a 1/2 day from Carmel if you just want to head down for some views and lunch. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Thanks for the shout out… I’m starting to feel like a local after two years of carpet bagging.  I’ll definitely share my opinions, in no particular order.  First off, Carmel by the Sea is very different than the other side of the peninsula - PG and New Monterey.  I have only eaten at a couple of Carmel restaurants in this whole time.  Because of that, I’d go with @We’reTexas recommendations there, but I’ll list my thoughts.

Tommy’s Wok behind Wells Fargo in downtown is just barely ok Chinese.  I really like the Treehouse Cafe for its outdoor deck, every visitor I’ve taken there has really enjoyed it.

In Monterey, I love Sea Harvest to buy my fish, but they also sell it prepared and it’s really good and reasonably priced.

In PG, my favorite fish place is Wild Fish.  It’s new, it’s expensive, and really excellent.  Live jazz with dinner.   Worth a visit no matter what.  We’ve eaten at Passionfish and I must be one of the few who wasn’t impressed.  Their wine list is great and pretty reasonably priced, but my entree and my wife’s weren’t any thing special.  

Folktale is really fun, and a short drive into the valley from Hwy 1.  There is also a good little restaurant that direction named the Corkscrew Cafe, which several friends in the valley love.  I’ve eaten there twice and definitely enjoyed it.

For activities, it depends how physically capable everyone is but there are dozens of beautiful hikes:  Jacks Peak (best view of the bay), Garland Park in Carmel Valley, any number in Big Sur from Pfeiffer to Garrapata to the previously mentioned Point Lobos.  I’ll be a little contrarian and say Point Lobos, while beautiful and interesting, is not the best experience because it gets pretty packed in on weekends.

If you want beaches, it’s not for swimsuits.  You’re going to wear a jacket or a wetsuit.  Surf spots are mainly Asilomar in PG (my favorite place in the world) and occasionally Carmel, but besides that you’re going to Santa Cruz.  For walking beaches though, Carmel, Carmel River, and Julia Pfeiffer in Big Sur are probably the other highlights.  

We’re members of the aquarium and it deserves all the accolades it gets - really spectacular place for the whole family.  The rest of Cannery Row is meh as is the Wharf in Monterey.  The whale watching  is awesome if you don’t get seasick.  Ocean is flattest before noon, so take an early tour.  It’s expensive though…

Lovers Point in PG has kayak rentals and usually is easy to paddle out and see otters frolicking in the kelp.  Moss Landing has calmer water and equal amounts of cool wildlife but is not nearly as beautiful a setting.

Last, if you are looking for a Sunday brunch or a place to stay, Mission Ranch (Clint’s place) is so cool.  Views of point lobos, sheep in the tidal river flat behind the hotel, and beautiful huge trees all around.

I’ve probably forgotten something blindingly obvious so I may hop back in if it comes to me.  

• Hook 'Em 3

not an expert, but was in carmel a few weeks ago.  popped into Promesa, based on the google reviews. 

https://promesacarmel.com/menu

spanish food.  rustic, chill, kinda boho-bougie vibes.  Hermanos Gutiérrez album playing softly in the background. 

food was good.  esp the Valencia Paella.  i remember looking ahead of time and being underwhelmed by the restaurant selection in Carmel. 

carmel is picturesque. 

imo, big sur is worth a trip.  i would either drive ~15 mins south to around Soberanes point, or if you're up for it, (and it's worth it, imo) about 50 mins south to Coast Big Sur (which is a decent place to stop, grab a bite, and then turn around.)

On 1/30/2024 at 9:54 PM, closetojumping said:

Subscribed.  We were in SF for a family event in December.  Cannot see us taking the time to go there again.

But we took a couple of days after that to see Monterey, PG, and Carmel.  So great.  I think I'd go back there just to eat grilled octopus!  Flying in directly to Monterey looks like the way to go.

8 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Flying in directly to Monterey looks like the way to go.

That's a pretty small airport, so options are going to be limited, though it does appear that there's a daily AA flight from Dallas that goes there.  Still, I think the San Jose airport is going to have more (and probably cheaper) flight options, and it's an easy 90 minute drive from that airport to Carmel down the 101 and the 1.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm just going to drop this here: The Palace Hotel is one of my favorite hotels in America.  It's an historic hotel, but it's been updated and is really comfortable.  The location is great with an F-train stop right out front.  But the real winner for me is the bar across the street.  House of Shields--the bartender makes the best martini I've ever had.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

That's a pretty small airport, so options are going to be limited, though it does appear that there's a daily AA flight from Dallas that goes there.  Still, I think the San Jose airport is going to have more (and probably cheaper) flight options, and it's an easy 90 minute drive from that airport to Carmel down the 101 and the 1.

That American flight is what attracted me.  I'm getting tired of fighting through big airports if I don't absolutely have to.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm just going to drop this here: The Palace Hotel is one of my favorite hotels in America.  It's an historic hotel, but it's been updated and is really comfortable.  The location is great with an F-train stop right out front.  But the real winner for me is the bar across the street.  House of Shields--the bartender makes the best martini I've ever had.

Appreciate the House of Shields rec. Always looking for a new cocktail bar when in town. We usually stay at the Chancellor Hotel off Union Square, so it's not too far of a walk.