General San Francisco Thread

Gardner Barnes

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Back in SF visiting family with my family for the weekend. Went to a place called “Rich Table” last night with my wife. Any residents ever been? I’m curious as to if the locals dig it or not. We loved it and had the tasting menu. I’d recommend it to anyone visiting who wants a very SF dining experience. It wasn’t cheap but it wasn’t off the charts if you like to eat. 

Going to some modern beer garden tonight called Radhaus near Ghirardelli Square that is apparently kid friendly and gives you the sunset beyond GG Bridge and going taking the kids to the Muir Woods before that. 

House of Prime Rib tomorrow after a bunch of family stuff. Seeing A’s/Giants on Sunday. 

Went and picked up a rental car for the day today in Nob Hill and stepped over a pile of shit walking there and my wife and I got heckled by an angry hobo from across the street for reasons beyond our grasp. It’s still a great and … interesting city. 

Go to the Tenderloin

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Going to some modern beer garden tonight called Radhaus near Ghirardelli Square that is apparently kid friendly and gives you the sunset beyond GG Bridge and going taking the kids to the Muir Woods before that.

As in, taking the kids to Muir Woods at sometime after the crack of dawn?  If so, interesting timing decision.  I last took my kids to Muir Woods over Thanksgiving Break in 2016, and we got there around sunrise and were fine with parking, but when we came back to to the parking lot, it was an absolute shitshow, and I've heard it's been like that for the most part unless you get there real early.  Maybe the locals say otherwise.  I'm interested to hear how your trip goes.  If it's not too crowded, it's still a great place to hike.

Edited by South Austin

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

As in, taking the kids to Muir Woods at sometime after the crack of dawn?  If so, interesting timing decision.  I last took my kids to Muir Woods over Thanksgiving Break in 2016, and we got there around sunrise and were fine with parking, but when we came back to to the parking lot, it was an absolute shitshow, and I've heard it's been like that for the most part unless you get there real early.  Maybe the locals say otherwise.  I'm interested to hear how your trip goes.  If it's not too crowded, it's still a great place to hike.

They fixed the parking at some point between when you went and today by requiring reservations. I learned that lesson last summer. We had a reservation at 11 and it went smoothly. We all hiked for a while and enjoyed it, then had their mediocre lunch to tide the kids over, and went down Lombard street in the city, which the kids found entertaining. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll be in SF next weekend to catch Giants Rangers. Working from the hotel on Friday, which means my central time zone colleagues will be winding things down by about 130p California time. Plan is to have a beer in my hand at Toronado by 2pm. Can't wait!

Edited by TornACL
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

They fixed the parking at some point between when you went and today by requiring reservations. I learned that lesson last summer. We had a reservation at 11 and it went smoothly. We all hiked for a while and enjoyed it, then had their mediocre lunch to tide the kids over, and went down Lombard street in the city, which the kids found entertaining. 

That’s good to hear. Glad you’re not soured on San Fran like a lot of others. It’s still a great town.

• Hook 'Em 2

Make sure you grab a brat at Berliner next door (formerly Rosamunde's)
Basically same place as before? 
When Rosemunde moved out, a woman who had worked there for years took over the space - I think Toronado gave her a deal on the space since they own the building and having Rosumunde there was good for them. She's a sweetheart and I try to support her, but she's also a space cadet and the food is inconsistent.

If you go, get the lamb Döner, it's the best thing on the menu and hard to screw up. 2nd would be the cheddar brat w chili and peppers, imo.

Then again, I'm rarely there and nobody knows me when I walk through the Dutch door.

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

When Rosemunde moved out, a woman who had worked there for years took over the space - I think Toronado gave her a deal on the space since they own the building and having Rosumunde there was good for them. She's a sweetheart and I try to support her, but she's also a space cadet and the food is inconsistent.

If you go, get the lamb Döner, it's the best thing on the menu and hard to screw up. 2nd would be the cheddar brat w chili and peppers, imo.

Then again, I'm rarely there and nobody knows me when I walk through the Dutch door. emoji849.png

I love Doner so that will be the move. If you want a cold one Friday hit me up.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:31 AM, HRSchenker said:

Is SF dangerous or is that just Fox News bullshit talking points? We're thinking about going sometime in August to watch the Rangers play the A's and Giants but the wife is kind of freaked out about it. All she sees on social media are broken windows and homeless shitting on the sidewalk. 

Do y’all need tickets to the A’s game? We have two seats that I could switch to a Rangers game. Seats are near the visitor’s bullpen. No charge. My daughter’s soccer schedule is preventing us from going to many games the rest of the season. 

mdleast and I just got back from a great 4 day trip where we took in a Giants game and an A's game. Got a late start after American had multiple mechanical issues that delayed our flights. You cannot beat that weather when you're coming from the hellscape we live in here in Texas. Some favorites: Toronado, House of Nanking, went up to Russian River Brewing and did the tour, Fieldworks in Berkley, Faction Brewing, Drake's Dealership, and Muir Woods.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We went to the Giants/A's game yesterday. Man, without a cloud in the sky, the sun was pretty brutal. We had a good time though. The Coliseum is still the same hole it was when I visited it 19 years ago. But the food was fun and it was a decent-sized crowd and MLB baseball. 

House of Prime Rib remains one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. No appetizers. 5 types of prime rib or 1 fish option. Salad. Choice of potato type and choice of creamed corn or spinach. Simple and unique. Everything done right and delicious and then like 10 dessert options. All set in some sort of decor from the 70's.

Had a day on Saturday at GG Park. They had some sort of DJ outdoor rave thing set up where people were just walking by and dancing for awhile and then moving on. Kids dancing on the stage. Excellent people watching. Walked all over the park with kids and beautiful weather. 

SF has its issues it needs to sort, but we had a hell of trip. Will be out there visiting family again in early 2024. Looking forward to it.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We went to the Giants/A's game yesterday. Man, without a cloud in the sky, the sun was pretty brutal. We had a good time though. The Coliseum is still the same hole it was when I visited it 19 years ago. But the food was fun and it was a decent-sized crowd and MLB baseball. 

mdleast made the observation that California sun just seems to hit much hotter on your skin than it feels like it does here. We look for shade seat options when we visit away stadiums now. I'd be curious to visit an A's game when it's not the Giants because it sure felt like the majority were Giants fans. I get it given their success. The outside of that stadium is such a toilet but the inside was decent. Very much a mixed use stadium and the sea of parking sucked. Oracle Park is definitely a gem. 

777F19E5-4A20-43AE-ACF0-C7BD33532D5E.thumb.jpeg.e29d6ebabdcc674688d38e9eeec05092.jpeg

2B24BC20-616B-4CF3-A406-E9C08E6AE73F.thumb.jpeg.f6f477663d4febc2674ef0d3c7187f57.jpeg

Edited by mdmost

On 8/4/2023 at 3:30 PM, South Austin said:

On 8/4/2023 at 5:08 PM, closetojumping said:

What CTJ said.  We went the last week of June (when the heat index in DFW was 112+ every day while the Bay Area was a balmy 65) and had no issues getting in or out of Muir Woods.  People-wise, it was a bit crowded at the entrance and for the first bit of the Forest, but it thinned out nicely once we got on the trails.  Peace, quiet, clean air, crisp breeze, natural beauty. Perfection.

You just need to make a reservation time for entrance.

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

mdleast made the observation that California sun just seems to hit much hotter on your skin than it feels like it does here. We look for shade seat options when we visit away stadiums now. I'd be curious to visit an A's game when it's not the Giants because it sure felt like the majority were Giants fans. I get it given their success. The outside of that stadium is such a toilet but the inside was decent. Very much a mixed use stadium and the sea of parking sucked. Oracle Park is definitely a gem. 

777F19E5-4A20-43AE-ACF0-C7BD33532D5E.thumb.jpeg.e29d6ebabdcc674688d38e9eeec05092.jpeg

2B24BC20-616B-4CF3-A406-E9C08E6AE73F.thumb.jpeg.f6f477663d4febc2674ef0d3c7187f57.jpeg

I'm in your second photo down the first base line, with my wife, kids, son-in-law, older daughter, and little, angry, sweaty toddler grandson. Ha. 

I saw Pedro Martinez face Tim Hudson on August 11, 2003 while on a business outing with the NoCal Comcast execs. Sat right behind home plate in their seats. Super cool as a baseball fan in my 20's to experience all of that. I went and looked up the outing on baseball reference to be sure. Anyway, that day, with two good teams and two star pitchers in or near their prime, there were 33,000 fans in attendance. It's anecdotal, but I've always remembered thinking there were a shit ton of Boston fans versus Oakland fans in their park that night.

My view is that the Oakland fans are right to be upset about the team leaving, but that that team should leave town as soon as they can. It's a mess. 

As many times as I have been to San Francisco, I have never made it to PacBell/AT&T/Oracle. I promised my middle boy, a true baseball nut, that we'd go next season when visiting. Everyone raves about it.

Best thing about Oakland's stadium = the short beer lines.   Giants stadium is a lot of fun.  Took the ferry over from the Oakland side to the ballpark one time, which sure as shit beat trying to get over there in a car or the BART.

Also, the wife (no pics) and I are heading up to the Santa Cruz Mountains area in a couple weeks for a few days  Staying in Los Gatos, but will be spending our time either up in the mountains checking out wineries and redwoods or near the coast in Santa Cruz/Capitola.  Have dinner reservations for two of the three nights, so looking for recs anywhere in that general area.  Also, itinerary isn't totally mapped out, so if you have suggestions about stuff to do/see around there, lay 'em on me.

Was a good weekend overall. Got wasted on Plinys at Oracle Friday night after Toronado. Guys on the patio were double fisting vapes and passing around a huge joint. It was one of the most impressive smoking feats I have witnessed since college.

Hit up breweries Olfactory and Harmony Saturday before the Sat game. 

Sunday went to Tony's Napoletana in North Beach, kick ass. Skipped the line because no one wanted the last seats at the bar.

The Honey I'm Stoned sandwich at Two Sons is legit.

Overall I know things are still a mess with people leaving the city, real estate, etc but it didn't seem that different. Lots of Euro tourists. Still the usual occasional crazies stammering down Market. 

Walked back thru Tenderloin at midnight after going to Emperor Norton's and there were of course a shitload of shady characters but no one that caused any problems or even said a word to me.

Seemed like some of the tent folks have moved or been forced to move to side streets or alleys away from storefronts.

There was nothing scary unless you're a pussy that's never seen anything in a big city before. I look forward to my next return.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 2:31 PM, mdmost said:

Many of the modern ballparks today with notable backdrops are cool with skylines / downtown framing them.

But I love the (vast) openness of the Oracle backdrop - nothing but the sky and water for as far as one can see. 

On 8/8/2023 at 2:17 PM, Mo Horn said:

We lived in Santa Cruz for a couple of years, a lifetime ago. Not a whole lot to do other than wander shops and the beach. Boardwalk is fun. Drive to Monterrey and Carmel for the day. Great aquarium and food, plus it's gorgeous. 

Pop over to nearby Capitola, since you are there. Cute little town. 

• Hook 'Em 1

All the neighbors are busy in SF these days. Financial district is depressing but we have stayed in SF the past two summers (~3 months each time) and the place is lively.

The city definitely has problems but frankly has become nicer from Covid as traffic is easier and way more clean.

• Hook 'Em 1

All the neighbors are busy in SF these days. Financial district is depressing but we have stayed in SF the past two summers (~3 months each time) and the place is lively.
The city definitely has problems but frankly has become nicer from Covid as traffic is easier and way more clean.
That was until the driverless cars took over the city the last few weeks. What a nightmare.
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Txzen said:

Pop over to nearby Capitola, since you are there. Cute little town. 

We hit Shadowbrook in Capitola for dinner one night.  Fun place.  You can take a funicular to get from the parking lot to the restaurant.  Food was a B+ and the unique layout of the place makes it worth visiting at least once, IMO.  

Those old hippies don’t like outsiders so there’s not much in Bolinas proper (I think Smiley’s is the local watering hole?), but it’s a great base for exploring Point Reyes. I think that’s actually an entry point for Alamere Falls, though I don’t think there will be much water at that time. In the area you’ve got the big Tomales Bay spots like Marshall Store and Hog Island (need reservations for the latter), but Point Reyes Station is also a cool little town to walk around. Like Due West Tavern in Olema as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Txzen said:

Yeah, good luck navigating as the locals tend to remove all the street signs there. 

Salt Water Oyster Depot in Inverness is really great. Grab a sandwich at Inverness Park Market on your way to Point Reyes. 

Ha. Yeah, I had heard they're not too fond of tourists. I didn't select Bolinas for the town, only because the house we found sits on a cliff overlooking the Pacific. Going to be a home base while we explore the area. Definitely planning on hitting up Muir Woods one of the days. Other thoughts were just walking to Agate beach and checking out the tide pools. Point Reyes is a great idea. Will include!

Point Reyes is awesome. It was pretty much the epicenter of the 1906 earthquake and the current building was rebuilt from that. Even King (then Prince) Charles has stopped for a beer there.

Smiley's is the spot in Bolinas.

Rancho Nicasio is a cool l spot off the beaten path

Bodega Bay is just a short drive, thats where they filmed "The Birds".

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I guess this might be the best place for this so...

I'll be up in Santa Clara in a few weeks.  It seems like most of the recs here are for up in SF but since they're connected...

I'll be staying at the Marriott right next to Levi's Stadium.  What's good in that area?

I'll be a conference every day all day so I probably won't feel like heading all the way into SF after that...I'm getting too old for that shit.  But, maybe I could be convinced.

I'll be up in Santa Clara in a few weeks.  It seems like most of the recs here are for up in SF but since they're connected...
I'll be staying at the Marriott right next to Levi's Stadium.  What's good in that area?
I'll be a conference every day all day so I probably won't feel like heading all the way into SF after that...I'm getting too old for that shit.  But, maybe I could be convinced.
Blackened ribeye at Birk's is damn good and very close to your hotel

2 hours ago, MajorMajor said:
22 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Blackened ribeye at Birk's is damn good and very close to your hotel

That looks great...Gonna blow past my per diem but I'm not going to care.  And you're right.  It is RIGHT by my hotel.

I don't need tie and jacket do I?  I'm not planning on taking those on this trip.

Edited by Ag with kids

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Will be in San Fran in a couple weeks with the family and staying in the Japan Town district. Any general recs for that area or walkable? 

Are you staying at the Hotel Kabuki? Nari, the Thai restaurant there, is one of my favorite places in the city. Daeho Kalbijjim is an awesome Korean BBQ spot across the street, be prepared for a long wait though. You can also walk around the Japan Center Mall and square, tons of great tiny sushi stalls - my favorites are Oma and Sasa.

The area is walkable but I don’t find it particular enjoyable. The area between Geary and Fulton can be quite sketchy. You’re right off the Fillmore and Divis districts though, and there are tons of places. The Progress (American), Anchovy Bar (Seafood) and Copra (Southern Indian) and right next to Japantown, as well as Boom Boom Room for late night music.  LMK if you need any rec for anything in particular. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Are you staying at the Hotel Kabuki? Nari, the Thai restaurant there, is one of my favorite places in the city. Daeho Kalbijjim is an awesome Korean BBQ spot across the street, be prepared for a long wait though. You can also walk around the Japan Center Mall and square, tons of great tiny sushi stalls - my favorites are Oma and Sasa.

The area is walkable but I don’t find it particular enjoyable. The area between Geary and Fulton can be quite sketchy. You’re right off the Fillmore and Divis districts though, and there are tons of places. The Progress (American), Anchovy Bar (Seafood) and Copra (Southern Indian) and right next to Japantown, as well as Boom Boom Room for late night music.  LMK if you need any rec for anything in particular. 

We're staying at Hotel Enso but will always seek out a solid Thai place. Really appreciate the recs and info. My sis-in-law just moved to the city so not sure our itinerary, but definitely wanted some options right around the hotel in my back pocket. 

1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

We're staying at Hotel Enso but will always seek out a solid Thai place. Really appreciate the recs and info. My sis-in-law just moved to the city so not sure our itinerary, but definitely wanted some options right around the hotel in my back pocket. 

Ah gotcha, just head over to Fillmore for whatever you need then. I will say that Mattina is a new spot right down the block from Enso that’s great for coffee and breakfast, have been hitting it up frequently lately. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/23/2023 at 10:55 PM, We’reTexas said:

Ah gotcha, just head over to Fillmore for whatever you need then. I will say that Mattina is a new spot right down the block from Enso that’s great for coffee and breakfast, have been hitting it up frequently lately. 

Wife ended up getting us tickets to Lazy Bear for a nice dinner. Ever been there? 

42 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Wife ended up getting us tickets to Lazy Bear for a nice dinner. Ever been there? 

Oh hell yeah, that’s awesome! I’m not going to act like I’m a regular of the 2+ star Michelin scene, but I’ve been able to go twice and it’s my favorite special occasion experience. Excellence without the austere formality you typically get in that range. Are they back to the dinner party format? We last went in 2021 when you could have your own table, which was nice. 

For pre/post dinner drinks, Beehive nearby is good, as is Shotwell for a dive bar. If you want to go all out, what is basically Lazy Bear’s bar, True Laurel, is a few blocks away. My favorite bar in the city. 

edit: fuck it, now trying to get tickets next month for our anniversary.

Edited by We’reTexas

38 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Oh hell yeah, that’s awesome! I’m not going to act like I’m a regular of the 2+ star Michelin scene, but I’ve been able to go twice and it’s my favorite special occasion experience. Excellence without the austere formality you typically get in that range. Are they back to the dinner party format? We last went in 2021 when you could have your own table, which was nice. 

For pre/post dinner drinks, Beehive nearby is good, as is Shotwell for a dive bar. If you want to go all out, what is basically Lazy Bear’s bar, True Laurel, is a few blocks away. My favorite bar in the city. 

edit: fuck it, now trying to get tickets next month for our anniversary.

I'm really excited. Only been to one other 2 star, minibar in DC. Was a great experience but glad to hear this should be a bit more casual. The concept sounds cool though I'm more a cocktail person rather than a wine person. I'll see if I can get her to go to the bar ahead but she ended up getting us the post dinner dessert wine tasting as well, so we'll see. 

23 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I'm really excited. Only been to one other 2 star, minibar in DC. Was a great experience but glad to hear this should be a bit more casual. The concept sounds cool though I'm more a cocktail person rather than a wine person. I'll see if I can get her to go to the bar ahead but she ended up getting us the post dinner dessert wine tasting as well, so we'll see. 

They’ve got an absurd vintage spirits collection. IMG_4839.thumb.jpeg.bffeac0b9d0abfa9059587264785b512.jpeg

IMG_4847.thumb.jpeg.3775206f85f7397e3f3055959ae84966.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2023 at 5:51 PM, We’reTexas said:

They’ve got an absurd vintage spirits collection. IMG_4839.thumb.jpeg.bffeac0b9d0abfa9059587264785b512.jpeg

IMG_4847.thumb.jpeg.3775206f85f7397e3f3055959ae84966.jpeg

Thanks again for the recs. We had a blast and ate our way thru San Fran. Had Nari last night and it was some of the best Thai I've had. Daeho Kalbijjim was a crazy busy spot but we were able to get in and had fun meal. Lazy Bear was just incredible so I hope you were able up get tickets again. I forgot how fun San Francisco can be and look forward to going back sooner rather than later. 

• Drool 1

On 1/7/2024 at 5:35 PM, SmokeyTheBear said:

Thanks again for the recs. We had a blast and ate our way thru San Fran. Had Nari last night and it was some of the best Thai I've had. Daeho Kalbijjim was a crazy busy spot but we were able to get in and had fun meal. Lazy Bear was just incredible so I hope you were able up get tickets again. I forgot how fun San Francisco can be and look forward to going back sooner rather than later. 

Damn, that’s an awesome weekend of eating.