Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Cellartracker tells me it's $89.90 but that was skewed from when I was heavily building up a cellar from around 2012-2017.  I really haven't bought much the past few years except my annual buy of Burg futures and maybe a Bordeaux future or two to keep my Lynch Bages vertical going.
On a side note, I am moving back to London in April and need to unload a Eurocave that holds around 100 bottles and is about 10 years old.  Let me know if there is any interest on the board.  Have a Klose smoker too if anyone is interested.

Where are you located?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Cellartracker tells me it's $89.90 but that was skewed from when I was heavily building up a cellar from around 2012-2017.  I really haven't bought much the past few years except my annual buy of Burg futures and maybe a Bordeaux future or two to keep my Lynch Bages vertical going.

On a side note, I am moving back to London in April and need to unload a Eurocave that holds around 100 bottles and is about 10 years old.  Let me know if there is any interest on the board.  Have a Klose smoker too if anyone is interested.

I shouldn't ask.. Cost? Location.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an AMAZING wine class last night with Ryan Tedder of Pogo, 

Here is what we drank - I haven't had more than 1 or 2 of these before so learned soooo much about the styles of the different Bordeaux regions. 

The St. Estephe region was likely my favorite.. though an aged Pauilliac was an adventure to taste.  I will say I wasn't aware of how much I do like right bank likely because I've never tasted any of this quality as I will always pick Left bank Cab Sauv forward over Merlot. But those aged Pomerol and Saint Emilon were something of beauty. 

 

WINES FOR THE CLASS

 

White Bordeaux

 

2016 Chateau Carbonnieux Blanc – Graves Classed Growth – WA91

2014 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc – Graves Classed Growth – WA93

2016 Pape Clement Blanc – Graves Classed Growth – WA95+

2016 Chateau Margaux ‘Pavillon Blanc’ Bordeaux Blanc – WS95

 

Left Bank


2008 Domaine de Chevalier – Pessac Leognan – Graves Classed Growth  WA93 

201
4 Haut Bailly – Pessac Leognan – Graves Classed Growth - WA94

2006 Chateau Palmer – Margaux 3rd Growth - WA94

2016 Marquis d’Alesme – Margaux 3rd Growth - WA96

1996 Talbot – Saint Julien 4th Growth – WS91

2014 Leoville Las Cases – Saint Julien 2nd Growth – WA96

1996 Haut Bages Liberal – Pauillac 5th Growth – TedderSomm96

2016 Pichon Lalande – Pauillac 2nd Growth – Vinous 100

2014 Chateau Latour ‘Pauillac de Chateau Latour’ – WS93

2016 Lynch Bages ‘Echo de Lynch Bages’ – Pauillac 2nd Label for 5th Growth – WS92

 

2005 Montrose ‘La Dame de Montrose’ – St. Estephe 2nd Label of 2nd Growth  WA90

2016 Cos d’Estournel – St. Estephe 2nd Growth  WA100

 

Right Bank

2000 La Conseillante – Pomerol – WA96  

201
5 Les Fillottes (from Thienpont by Clinet) – Pomerol – TedderSomm 95

1998 La Gaffeliere – Saint Emilion Premier Grand Cru Classe B – WS92

2016 Canon La Gaffeliere - Saint Emilion Premier Grand Cru Classe B - V96

2015 Larcis Ducasse ‘Murmure de Larcis Ducasse’ – Saint Emilion 2nd Label of 2nd Growth – WS91

2009 La Fleur de Bouard – Lalande de Pomerol  WA93 

2012 Chateau Biac – Cadillac Cote de Bordeaux  JS90

 

Sauternes

 

1997 Chateau d’Yquem – Sauternes Superior First Growth – WS96

 

2007 Chateau Suduiraut – Sauternes First Growth – WS95

 

2009 Chateau Guiraud – Sauternes First Growth – WS96

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 9:40 AM, texasdago said:

While I lean heavily towards Italians, have recently picked up some great wines that are new to me thanks to a private wine tasting

Username checks out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Valentine’s wine

The champagne was very nice. The Fairchild was amazing

spacer.png

Looks familiar.... I’m raising you a Champagne and a Fairchild on Valentine’s Day in Russia... 

Excellent choices by the way  

70-AC08-A2-D3-D9-4-C8-C-AEB3-47-A1-BC853

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 2:12 PM, msudawg said:

What an AMAZING wine class last night with Ryan Tedder of Pogo, 

Here is what we drank - I haven't had more than 1 or 2 of these before so learned soooo much about the styles of the different Bordeaux regions. 

The St. Estephe region was likely my favorite.. though an aged Pauilliac was an adventure to taste.  I will say I wasn't aware of how much I do like right bank likely because I've never tasted any of this quality as I will always pick Left bank Cab Sauv forward over Merlot. But those aged Pomerol and Saint Emilon were something of beauty. 

 

WINES FOR THE CLASS

 

White Bordeaux

 

2016 Chateau Carbonnieux Blanc – Graves Classed Growth – WA91

2014 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc – Graves Classed Growth – WA93

2016 Pape Clement Blanc – Graves Classed Growth – WA95+

2016 Chateau Margaux ‘Pavillon Blanc’ Bordeaux Blanc – WS95

 

Left Bank


2008 Domaine de Chevalier – Pessac Leognan – Graves Classed Growth  WA93 

201
4 Haut Bailly – Pessac Leognan – Graves Classed Growth - WA94

2006 Chateau Palmer – Margaux 3rd Growth - WA94

2016 Marquis d’Alesme – Margaux 3rd Growth - WA96

1996 Talbot – Saint Julien 4th Growth – WS91

2014 Leoville Las Cases – Saint Julien 2nd Growth – WA96

1996 Haut Bages Liberal – Pauillac 5th Growth – TedderSomm96

2016 Pichon Lalande – Pauillac 2nd Growth – Vinous 100

2014 Chateau Latour ‘Pauillac de Chateau Latour’ – WS93

2016 Lynch Bages ‘Echo de Lynch Bages’ – Pauillac 2nd Label for 5th Growth – WS92

 

2005 Montrose ‘La Dame de Montrose’ – St. Estephe 2nd Label of 2nd Growth  WA90

2016 Cos d’Estournel – St. Estephe 2nd Growth  WA100

 

Right Bank

2000 La Conseillante – Pomerol – WA96  

201
5 Les Fillottes (from Thienpont by Clinet) – Pomerol – TedderSomm 95

1998 La Gaffeliere – Saint Emilion Premier Grand Cru Classe B – WS92

2016 Canon La Gaffeliere - Saint Emilion Premier Grand Cru Classe B - V96

2015 Larcis Ducasse ‘Murmure de Larcis Ducasse’ – Saint Emilion 2nd Label of 2nd Growth – WS91

2009 La Fleur de Bouard – Lalande de Pomerol  WA93 

2012 Chateau Biac – Cadillac Cote de Bordeaux  JS90

 

Sauternes

 

1997 Chateau d’Yquem – Sauternes Superior First Growth – WS96

 

2007 Chateau Suduiraut – Sauternes First Growth – WS95

 

2009 Chateau Guiraud – Sauternes First Growth – WS96

mind sharing how much the class/tasting was?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mind sharing how much the class/tasting was?

Corison has been on my short list for a while, worth the splurge?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 11:03 PM, milkman said:

7512583b04b706662247d6ac507470cf.jpg

emoji91.pngemoji91.pngemoji91.png


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fucker.

if you have any other 78 bordeaux, you need to drink them asap.  miracle vintage, but they are past peak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this time of year, but I hate it so much.... Just picked up:

3 bottles each of all 3 2016 Guigal La La’s

3 2017 Scarecrow

3 2017 Fairchild Stones No 1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I love this time of year, but I hate it so much.... Just picked up:
3 bottles each of all 3 2016 Guigal La La’s
3 2017 Scarecrow
3 2017 Fairchild Stones No 1
 

Love me some La La!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, htown85 said:

Suggestions for good affordable everyday wine?

Define affordable?  Under $50, under $25?  Reds, whites? 

What are you drinking now and like and what do you think you want to start exploring?

My everyday reds about $20.00:

Boogle Phantom ($16-$19). 

Aerena cab($20.00)

Decoy cab ($20.00)

Conundrum red blend ($25.00)

Meiomi Pinot ($22)

I recently had Brady Cabernet at a party and thought it was a well made value wine.

My Weekend Reds around $50:

Hall Cab ($54)

Quilt Cab ($52)

Austin Hopes ($50)

Frank Family Cab ($48)

Adaptation ($54)

Prisoner ($50)

Cuttings ($54)

Walt Pinot ($50)

Abstract ($38)

Stags Leap Artemis ($58)

I don't drink a lot of white wine, so can't help you there. 

I keep in stock Wycliff Champagne ($4.99).  wife loves it, its cheap and good, plus it is resealable and last 2-3 days.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am moving back to London at the end of April and need to clear out my offsite storage in Houston (currently AOC off Kirby).  I don't want to bother shipping my wine back overseas and everything has been stored in temperature controlled facilities since purchase.  Here is what I am selling, with prices.  Let me know if anyone is interested.   

 

750ml    owc    12    2004    Château Lynch-Bages                                       $900 
750ml    owc    12    2003    Château Figeac                                                    900 
750ml    owc    12    2005    Château Léoville Poyferré                                 1,000 
750ml    owc    12    2005    Château Pavie                                                    3,500 
750ml    owc    12    2005    Château Léoville Las Cases                              2,500 
750ml    owc    12    2006    Château Lynch-Bages                                         1,000 
750ml    owc    12    2006    Château Pavie                                                      2,000 
750ml    owc    12    2005    Château Figeac                                                     1,500 
750ml    owc    12    2007    Château Lynch-Bages                                           900 
750ml    owc    12    2007    Château Figeac                                                       800 
750ml    owc    12    2008    Les Forts de Latour                                             2,000 
750ml    owc    12    2008    Château Figeac                                                     1,200 
750ml    owc    6      2009    Château Pavie Macquin                                         500 
750ml    4         4      2007    Gaja Langhe Nebbiolo Sorì San Lorenzo             225 ea 
1.5L       3           3     2004    Château Pavie                                                         300 ea 
750ml    owc    3      2000    Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Único     750 
3.0L         1        1      1989    Château Mouton Rothschild                                 1,900 
3.0L         1        1       2005    Château Latour Grand Vin                                    3,000 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, htown85 said:

Suggestions for good affordable everyday wine?

For a variety of whites I like Chataeu St. Michelle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2020 at 10:06 AM, NoName said:

mind sharing how much the class/tasting was?

Sorry just saw the question. $199 per person. 

He has some other ones coming up.

 

Monday, March 9th – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
Spain and Portugal Masterclass - $125pp

Monday, March 23rd – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
Red Burgundy 101 Masterclass - $199pp

Monday, April 6th – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
Beaujolais, Loire Valley and Natural Wine Masterclass - $100pp

Monday, April 27th – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
White Burgundy 101 Masterclass - $199pp

Monday, May 18th – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
New World Chardonnay & Rich Whites Masterclass - $125pp

Monday, June 15th – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
Alpine Whites #1: Germany and Austria Masterclass - $100pp

Monday, July 13th – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
Alpine Whites #2: Alsace, Jura and Savoie Masterclass - $100pp

Monday, August 10th – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
Champagne in the Membrane Bubbles Masterclass - $100pp

Monday, September 14th – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
West Coast Pinot Noir Masterclass - $125pp

Monday, September 28th – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
Southern Hemisphere Masterclass – New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Chile and Argentina - $150pp

Monday, October 12th – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
Northern Italy Masterclass – Piedmont & Valpolicella - $175pp

Monday, October 26th – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
Central and Southern Italy Masterclass – Tuscany, Campania, Sicily and More - $175pp

Monday, November 23rd – 6:00-8:00 P.M. –
The Big Badass Holiday Champagne Master-Tasting with over 60+ Champagnes to Choose from - $150pp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 10:35 PM, PorscheGuy said:


Corison has been on my short list for a while, worth the splurge?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm far from a Cali wine expert but I got lucky to get some 2014 Corison Cab Sauv St. Helena when it was one of the last offers on Wine.woot, and that is one of my favorite wines of all time. It will be the first wine club I sign up for outside of Texas some day. I guess technically that's not true.. I used to be in the Iron Horse club for a year but wasn't drinking the bubble as fast as I was getting it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I am moving back to London at the end of April and need to clear out my offsite storage in Houston (currently AOC off Kirby).  I don't want to bother shipping my wine back overseas and everything has been stored in temperature controlled facilities since purchase.  Here is what I am selling, with prices.  Let me know if anyone is interested.   

 

750ml    owc    12    2004    Château Lynch-Bages                                       $900 
750ml    owc    12    2003    Château Figeac                                                    900 
750ml    owc    12    2005    Château Léoville Poyferré                                 1,000 
750ml    owc    12    2005    Château Pavie                                                    3,500 
750ml    owc    12    2005    Château Léoville Las Cases                              2,500 
750ml    owc    12    2006    Château Lynch-Bages                                         1,000 
750ml    owc    12    2006    Château Pavie                                                      2,000 
750ml    owc    12    2005    Château Figeac                                                     1,500 
750ml    owc    12    2007    Château Lynch-Bages                                           900 
750ml    owc    12    2007    Château Figeac                                                       800 
750ml    owc    12    2008    Les Forts de Latour                                             2,000 
750ml    owc    12    2008    Château Figeac                                                     1,200 
750ml    owc    6      2009    Château Pavie Macquin                                         500 
750ml    4         4      2007    Gaja Langhe Nebbiolo Sorì San Lorenzo             225 ea 
1.5L       3           3     2004    Château Pavie                                                         300 ea 
750ml    owc    3      2000    Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Único     750 
3.0L         1        1      1989    Château Mouton Rothschild                                 1,900 
3.0L         1        1       2005    Château Latour Grand Vin                                    3,000 

 

 

 

 

I’m interested. PM me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 2:12 PM, msudawg said:

What an AMAZING wine class last night with Ryan Tedder of Pogo, 

Here is what we drank - I haven't had more than 1 or 2 of these before so learned soooo much about the styles of the different Bordeaux regions. 

The St. Estephe region was likely my favorite.. though an aged Pauilliac was an adventure to taste.  I will say I wasn't aware of how much I do like right bank likely because I've never tasted any of this quality as I will always pick Left bank Cab Sauv forward over Merlot. But those aged Pomerol and Saint Emilon were something of beauty. 

 

WINES FOR THE CLASS

 

White Bordeaux

 

2016 Chateau Carbonnieux Blanc – Graves Classed Growth – WA91

2014 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc – Graves Classed Growth – WA93

2016 Pape Clement Blanc – Graves Classed Growth – WA95+

2016 Chateau Margaux ‘Pavillon Blanc’ Bordeaux Blanc – WS95

 

Left Bank


2008 Domaine de Chevalier – Pessac Leognan – Graves Classed Growth  WA93 

201
4 Haut Bailly – Pessac Leognan – Graves Classed Growth - WA94

2006 Chateau Palmer – Margaux 3rd Growth - WA94

2016 Marquis d’Alesme – Margaux 3rd Growth - WA96

1996 Talbot – Saint Julien 4th Growth – WS91

2014 Leoville Las Cases – Saint Julien 2nd Growth – WA96

1996 Haut Bages Liberal – Pauillac 5th Growth – TedderSomm96

2016 Pichon Lalande – Pauillac 2nd Growth – Vinous 100

2014 Chateau Latour ‘Pauillac de Chateau Latour’ – WS93

2016 Lynch Bages ‘Echo de Lynch Bages’ – Pauillac 2nd Label for 5th Growth – WS92

 

2005 Montrose ‘La Dame de Montrose’ – St. Estephe 2nd Label of 2nd Growth  WA90

2016 Cos d’Estournel – St. Estephe 2nd Growth  WA100

 

Right Bank

2000 La Conseillante – Pomerol – WA96  

201
5 Les Fillottes (from Thienpont by Clinet) – Pomerol – TedderSomm 95

1998 La Gaffeliere – Saint Emilion Premier Grand Cru Classe B – WS92

2016 Canon La Gaffeliere - Saint Emilion Premier Grand Cru Classe B - V96

2015 Larcis Ducasse ‘Murmure de Larcis Ducasse’ – Saint Emilion 2nd Label of 2nd Growth – WS91

2009 La Fleur de Bouard – Lalande de Pomerol  WA93 

2012 Chateau Biac – Cadillac Cote de Bordeaux  JS90

 

Sauternes

 

1997 Chateau d’Yquem – Sauternes Superior First Growth – WS96

 

2007 Chateau Suduiraut – Sauternes First Growth – WS95

 

2009 Chateau Guiraud – Sauternes First Growth – WS96

I've been friends with Ryan going back to his days at Grace in Ft. Worth. I've bought a lot of wine from him over the years. His wife is also in the business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I am moving back to London at the end of April and need to clear out my offsite storage in Houston (currently AOC off Kirby).  I don't want to bother shipping my wine back overseas and everything has been stored in temperature controlled facilities since purchase.  Here is what I am selling, with prices.  Let me know if anyone is interested.   

 

750ml    owc    12    2004    Château Lynch-Bages                                       $900 
750ml    owc    12    2003    Château Figeac                                                    900 
750ml    owc    12    2005    Château Léoville Poyferré                                 1,000 
750ml    owc    12    2005    Château Pavie                                                    3,500 
750ml    owc    12    2005    Château Léoville Las Cases                              2,500 
750ml    owc    12    2006    Château Lynch-Bages                                         1,000 
750ml    owc    12    2006    Château Pavie                                                      2,000 
750ml    owc    12    2005    Château Figeac                                                     1,500 
750ml    owc    12    2007    Château Lynch-Bages                                           900 
750ml    owc    12    2007    Château Figeac                                                       800 
750ml    owc    12    2008    Les Forts de Latour                                             2,000 
750ml    owc    12    2008    Château Figeac                                                     1,200 
750ml    owc    6      2009    Château Pavie Macquin                                         500 
750ml    4         4      2007    Gaja Langhe Nebbiolo Sorì San Lorenzo             225 ea 
1.5L       3           3     2004    Château Pavie                                                         300 ea 
750ml    owc    3      2000    Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Único     750 
3.0L         1        1      1989    Château Mouton Rothschild                                 1,900 
3.0L         1        1       2005    Château Latour Grand Vin                                    3,000 

 

 

 

 

Is the Klose still available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've been friends with Ryan going back to his days at Grace in Ft. Worth. I've bought a lot of wine from him over the years. His wife is also in the business. 
Yep. She helps put on these classes. Both awesome people. Love the free tastings at pogos. Sadly they are canceling those for a while because of fear of c-19

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2020 at 9:55 AM, PorscheGuy said:

Define affordable?  Under $50, under $25?  Reds, whites? 

What are you drinking now and like and what do you think you want to start exploring?

My everyday reds about $20.00:

Boogle Phantom ($16-$19). 

Aerena cab($20.00)

Decoy cab ($20.00)

Conundrum red blend ($25.00)

Meiomi Pinot ($22)

I recently had Brady Cabernet at a party and thought it was a well made value wine.

My Weekend Reds around $50:

Hall Cab ($54)

Quilt Cab ($52)

Austin Hopes ($50)

Frank Family Cab ($48)

Adaptation ($54)

Prisoner ($50)

Cuttings ($54)

Walt Pinot ($50)

Abstract ($38)

Stags Leap Artemis ($58)

I don't drink a lot of white wine, so can't help you there. 

I keep in stock Wycliff Champagne ($4.99).  wife loves it, its cheap and good, plus it is resealable and last 2-3 days.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don’t know shit about wines, but that is a really good answer to the price point. If I could take it a step further. Could I ask you about wines in the $250-$500 range that you call a good buy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Erwin said:

To the champagne snobs- Do you like Billecart Salmon?  It seems to be a popular recommendation from lots of sommeliers.

Yes, though Ruinart Brut Rose (probably $20 more expensive for the NV) is better IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Erwin said:

To the champagne snobs- Do you like Billecart Salmon?  It seems to be a popular recommendation from lots of sommeliers.

At that price point, Delamotte, if you can find it, is absolutely superb. Sister house of Salon, and they get the right of first refusal on all their grapes they don't use.

It's one of my absolute favorites, and at around $50/bottle, you're getting a steep discount on what is basically Salon lite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
To the champagne snobs- Do you like Billecart Salmon?  It seems to be a popular recommendation from lots of sommeliers.

Billecart is a staple at our house. Great QPR.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, though Ruinart Brut Rose (probably $20 more expensive for the NV) is better IMO

Great choice. Henriot Rose is about the same and just as good IMO.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I don’t know shit about wines, but that is a really good answer to the price point. If I could take it a step further. Could I ask you about wines in the $250-$500 range that you call a good buy?

I wish I could give you a good list of wines in that range, but I rarely stray into that price range.  Hopefully others will chime in.  I think at that range, it is very important to know what you styles of wine you really like to drink and what your personal tastes trend toward in terms of flavor profiles.  Nothing worse then dropping big bucks on a bottle that you could care less about.  I feel like I am still developing that taste profile and not ready to go all in just to spend the bucks.

My absolute favorite wines are in the $175-$250 range (retail-not restaurant) and come from many of the wines that I listed before.  For example Odette Cab ($175) is outstanding.  It was the wine that made the lights come on for both me and my wife and we keep a case in stock of different years.  They also make Adaptation (from previous list), Cade Howell Mountain ($125) and Plumpjack ($150).   Love Cade, just bought another bottle at Twin's Dollar days sale for $82.  But I don't care for Plumjack at all.

I really also like Barnette Rattlesnake cab ($200).  I did not care for Shafer Hillside select, which I will most likely get blasted for.

Next on my list to try are the Hall higher end wines and to start dipping my toes into Super Tuscan Wines

Best advice I was given for selecting wine at a restaurant:  If there is a Super Tuscan on the list you can afford, and you don't know what else to get, go with the super Tuscan.  So far 4 out of 4.  Can't remember what I got but they were all good.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PorscheGuy said:

I wish I could give you a good list of wines in that range, but I rarely stray into that price range.  Hopefully others will chime in.  I think at that range, it is very important to know what you styles of wine you really like to drink and what your personal tastes trend toward in terms of flavor profiles.  Nothing worse then dropping big bucks on a bottle that you could care less about.  I feel like I am still developing that taste profile and not ready to go all in just to spend the bucks.

My absolute favorite wines are in the $175-$250 range (retail-not restaurant) and come from many of the wines that I listed before.  For example Odette Cab ($175) is outstanding.  It was the wine that made the lights come on for both me and my wife and we keep a case in stock of different years.  They also make Adaptation (from previous list), Cade Howell Mountain ($125) and Plumpjack ($150).   Love Cade, just bought another bottle at Twin's Dollar days sale for $82.  But I don't care for Plumjack at all.

I really also like Barnette Rattlesnake cab ($200).  I did not care for Shafer Hillside select, which I will most likely get blasted for.

Next on my list to try are the Hall higher end wines and to start dipping my toes into Super Tuscan Wines

Best advice I was given for selecting wine at a restaurant:  If there is a Super Tuscan on the list you can afford, and you don't know what else to get, go with the super Tuscan.  So far 4 out of 4.  Can't remember what I got but they were all good.

 

 

 

Thank you for taking the time..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I don’t know shit about wines, but that is a really good answer to the price point. If I could take it a step further. Could I ask you about wines in the $250-$500 range that you call a good buy?

For California - Schrader, Fairchild (especially the Stones wines), Futo, Scarecrow, Blankiet, Realm and Kapscandy are fantastic wines in that range.  Also, if you’re into Chardonnay, Marcassin and Aubert are also really good. 

For Bordeaux - Most of the second growths like Leoville Las Cases, Ducru Beaucaillou, Cos de Esternal, Chateau Palmer and the right bank grand crus like Chateau Pavie fit this bill.

There are so many more - Aussie, Northern and Southern Rhone, CA Rhone Rangers, Italian. Many, many excellent bottles in that price range. If you see something interesting let me know and I’ll give you my 2 cents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2 cents

There is a big jump in your price range.  The $400-500 range is a big jump from the $250-300 range.  That range is the realm of Tusk, Harlan, Scarecrow and Hundred Acres.  As Porsche Guy notes, lots available $175-250 range.  My top range is Fairchild and Stones, which is just above $300.  There are a number I get that have held at about $275 (Vine Hill Ranch, Vineyardist, Brand, Immortal etc.).  There are great buys we get between $150-ish to $250 — Spottswoode, Pott, Piper, Corra, Memento Mori (at the high end), Arkenstone, etc.  

Plenty of price levels to try !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stayed out at a friend’s house too late last night, so canceled our dinner reservations and decided to stay home, cook steaks and enjoy these:

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Another nice lineup
D43-F1-B6-C-C03-F-47-B0-A7-A4-93-C42380508-D.jpg
B35580-A4-814-A-4297-B82-B-7-CDFBB22-E83-A.jpg
EB209-C65-5579-4-C03-A0-DF-0-A45-ECD481-AF.jpg

How was the Rieussec? I bought a bunch of half bottles of that on release. Haven’t opened any yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:


How was the Rieussec? I bought a bunch of half bottles of that on release. Haven’t opened any yet.

The 2001 is excellent... in my opinion second only to the d’Yquem among the Sauternes of that vintage. Enjoy your bottles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few more with a couple from off the beaten path. All outstanding. 
991106-D5-05-EC-4-CF0-A6-FB-C66-CE1-F3-F
F718-A259-A8-DA-436-B-A4-B0-F984898-EE49
D4-A17418-7027-4-BE1-85-CF-CB0553-FEC192
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A few more with a couple from off the beaten path. All outstanding. 
991106-D5-05-EC-4-CF0-A6-FB-C66-CE1-F3-F01-A.jpg
F718-A259-A8-DA-436-B-A4-B0-F984898-EE495.jpg
D4-A17418-7027-4-BE1-85-CF-CB0553-FEC192.jpg
 

How as the 82 Krug and Zilliken?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

82 Krug was great... felt young with a lot of effervescence and acidity, however was dominated by the brioche, buttery notes. A fantastic wine. The Zilliken, at 16 years young, was also amazingly youthful. And such a great value. Stock up if you can find it. We paired it with some spicy Indian cuisine and it was a great match for the spice. Overall a great wine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...