Pixar's Onward

Michael Knight

Pixar is in a major creative slump. It's been a decade since Up, and since then they've really only released what I consider to be two original films up to their standard - Inside Out and Coco. And while I loved Coco, it wasn't a particularly original or innovative concept. All of the films released in the last decade have been sequels or disappointments  (Brave and the Good Dinosaur). 

• Like 1

i think it has promise.  when i watched the inside out trailers i couldn't figure out what the fuck was happening, but i loved that movie.

i do agree they've been in a creative slump - a combination of not-great originals + shitty sequels.  the constant change in leadership/direction from disney/pixar internal has got to be a pain in the ass.  the lasseter drama didn't help either.

they really need a feige type of steward.  not sure what bird's involvement is moving forward.  the handling of rashida jones/toy story 4 was a mess.

• 9 months later...

I wouldn’t know how to link to a Facebook Live post, or if that’s even possible, but bro god Kevin Smith posted a clip of him waking and baking and watching the end of Onward. It’s apparently wicked emotional.. or maybe it’s just the weed talking, but Smith is weeping and admits something like, “I could work another 25 years and never come up with something this beautiful.” .

Of course, Covid 19 ruined the movie going experience for everyone for the foreseeable future, so it’s available for streaming. I’ll hopefully catch it later on cable, unless Disney+ is the only option, and I ain’t buying that.

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

It’s already on amazon for rent. All the rental platforms got a 2 week lead on Disney +.

Saw you could purchase for $20, didn’t realize you could rent, but I’ll just wait two weeks since we are already paying $6 a month for Disney+.  Maybe by then, Frozen II will be boring to them.   

Edited by atomheartbevo